New-ish Revolution Controller Rumor

bast525

Well, this isn't coming from the best of sources, it's a sort of thing where, my friend heard from his friend who has a friend who works at Nintendo sort of thing. But it does jive with some of what we have all heard so far.

The word is that the Revolution controllers WILL be touchscreen, but not the way some of us have been thinking. It won't be JUST a touchscreen. Instead, it will have a (at least one) proper analog stick, and at least two normal buttons (this may be start and select) and/or possibly a D pad. It won't have any shoulder buttons though. The touch screen is supposed to be a little larger than the DS touch screen. The controller will NOT be wireless.

Well, there it is, take it for what it's worth. I'm thinking it's like 70% chance of being accurate... as I said, it does jive with what rumors and little real info has been flying around, along with stuff that Nintendo people have said themselves.

Sounds a lot better than the controller being JUST a touch screen.

Not wanting to start an arguement here but we've already been told by nintendo that the controller will have no type of screen or touch screen on it. Also there will be no D-pad and A and B buttons. As for it being wireless, no one knows yet as ninty haven't said anything but they have sorta hinted at it being wireless.

yeah sorry man but when i read "friend of a friend who works at nintendo" i knew it was gonna be bullshit. plus nintendo have already stated officially that the controller wont have a touch screen.

Okay WHERE did you see/hear Nintendo say it absolutely won't have a touchscreen of any kind on it? Provide a link or something please because last I heard Nintendo have really confirmed or denied anything about the controller. If anything, listening to all the hints that Nintendo have given out it sounds to me like it couldn't be anything other than a touch screen. They have said that the controller will be user or developer configurable. Well unless they are planning on making a controller out of lego's... YOU tell me what other way than a touch screen can you make a configurable controller? Yeah.. I know one.... those stupid overlays that were for Colecovision or Intellivison... I forget which one but the one that had the full keypad on the front of it, and every game came with it's own overlay. If Nintendo is doing THAT I will have lost all faith in mankind.

From what this guy is telling me it will have at least two digital buttons on it's face, so that was where the start/select or possibly a D-pad speculation came from.

About the wireless-ness, I've heard from more than one source that the Revolution does have four controller ports on it, so that jives with my friend saying the controllers definately won't be wireless.

Like I said, I'm not claiming that any of this is fact, so I take no offense if anyone calls BS on it. But it sounded interesting to me and possibly legitimate, and I thought was worth sharing. It's not a big deal to me other than it made me happier to think that there would be at least some kind of true analog joystick on it, the thought of it being ONLY a touchscreen made me cringe.

Anyways I'm bored at work and got nothing better to do....

Im not saying wat u said was BS. The four controller ports on the revolution however are for plugging in ur gamecube controllers. if u look closely at the pics u can see that the sockets are shaped like the gamecubes

No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, "We have no intention of making a two-screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS."
So the controller wont have a screen. im trying to find where i read it from a more realiable source though so ill post it when i find it
edit:- o cant find where it is. I read it somewhere on ign but then again they BS alot over there. But then again touch screen control aint gonna be revolutionary. But i have heard that there is some kinda of wireless and apparently it is going to be the most advanced form of wireless yet and u can use head sets and stuff with it.

No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said, "We have no intention of making a two-screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS."
So the controller wont have a screen. im trying to find where i read it from a more realiable source though so ill post it when i find it

Hmmm... well that doesn't seem like a definate no to me. "We have no intention of making a two-screen console akin to the DS". Okay, it's not a two screen console. There are a couple ways of interpreting that, if you ask me. Now, I just want to be clear, this is an ACTUAL quote or is it just you trying to qoute from memory? Because if he specifically said "a two-screen console" that is very open to interpretation. For instance... he may be saying that the controllers themselves don't have dual screens (when the rumor was first getting started it seemed a couple people did believe they would have two screens). Or, if he means two-screen as in, the TV, and one screen on the controller... well then what about when you're playing more than one player? Wouldn' it then be a 3, 4, or 5 screen console? Maybe I'm reaching a bit here, and it would help to read the actual quote as well as the entire story/article/whatever to be able to better put it all in context.

Also, why would they put ports on the system specifically for the GC? yeah I know it's backwards compatible, but it's also gonna play NES, SNES, and N64 games... where are the ports for those systems' controllers? Reggie Fil-Aimes was pretty clear that the Revolutions controller was being designed to be configurable, to be able to play the games from all of the previous Nintendo systems, INCLUDING the GC. Where has it been confirmed that the controller ports on the front are specifically for the GC controllers? This doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint either... so if you go buy a revolution, and want to play GC games on it, and don't/didn't already have a GC, you have to buy GC controllers, as opposed to just being able to use the controller that already came with the system? And then when you want to play multiplayer, you have to buy MORE GC controllers... you could end up with four each of Rev and GC controllers. That doesnt' make sense. Just because they're shaped like GC ports doesn't mean that's what they are.

look really it doesn't matter to me... I didn't WANT the Rev to have touchscreen controllers, and I could care less if it's wireless or not, but some of what you're saying just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo confirmed a while back that the pads will be wireless and that they won't have a screen.

As GanePark says, those four ports will be for plugging Gamecube pad's in, as it is backwards compatable. Nintendo have never shaped their controller ports like one of the last console, so I don't think they'd start now.

I'll have a look for the sources.

Good... I hope that's truth because the thought of touch screens was putting me off being excited over the Rev big time.

I still say that putting GC ports on the front doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective.

I thought the GC contrllers were for all the retro consoles, since it was established that they were most capable of emulating the controls of the former consoles

eg. 4 face buttons, shoulder pads, c-stick, analogue and d-pad control

mattmagoo - Again, that is in direct contrast to what Reggie Fil-Aimes had to say at E3. During his interview, he was asked about the Rev controller, and he specifically said something like this...

"We still can't say anything about the Revolutions controller. But keep something in mind, the Revolution will be able to play NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube games. Each of those controllers is pretty different from each other. So ask yourself, how can you have one controller that could easily emulate the controllers for all those other systems? The controller we're designing will be able to do that."

Not an exact quote, but I've seen that interview aired on G4 TV like four times so it's kinda stuck in my mind.

That quote i wrote earlier was an official announcement in an interview with Iwata. I dont think it will be a touch screen cause it just doesn't appeal to me playing it on a big scale whereas with the ds its on a smaller scale and its used for specific reasons. the only thing the touch screen could be used for on the revolution is basically reconfiguration to fit things like nes, snes, etc. Then again it might be like the collecovision pads. All im gonna say is that it'll either be something really simple that no one will have thought of it or something really innovative.
Bout the controllers, yeah the ports are for gamecube controllers and its stupid that its not taken into consideration the others. But then again if any of u have tried using a gamecube controller on ur pc to play n64 u'll find it easier. i think the ports are to make it feel like ur still playing a gamecube or sumthing.

Good... I hope that's truth because the thought of touch screens was putting me off being excited over the Rev big time.

I still say that putting GC ports on the front doesn't make sense from a marketing perspective.

Sure it does. Whatever controller they make is probably going to be so outrageous and weird that nobody will want to use them and they'll be able to just use the old gamecube controllers. Genius if you ask me and now that i know you can use gamecube controllers, i will probably buy one of these, it was the controller concepts that was putting me off in the first place.

Sure it does. Whatever controller they make is probably going to be so outrageous and weird that nobody will want to use them and they'll be able to just use the old gamecube controllers.

LOL I can't tell if this was meant to be a joke or not but it's damn funny! But then... it's also a little scary in it's possible accuracy :blink:

no, its not funny or a joke, Nintendo likes their weird ass stuff, so if they come out with something so outrageous that nobody will use it, they can fall back and say that its also compatible with GameCube controllers and then people for the most part will be happy again.

Lets take a look at the past nintendo weirdness and flops.

1. Robby the Robot
2. power glove
3. Super Scope 6, couldn't just have a regular zapper, had to be a bazooka
4. Gameboy camera and printer
5. Pokemon :blink:
6. Donky Konga Congos
7. Virtual Boy
8. DS

Thats all i can think of, but i would expect nothing shy of "wtf kind of controller is that" from Nintendo for the revolution. Especially since its so secretive.

well I read on the nintendo site during E3 about some kid posting a bunh of pictures claiming it to be the rev w/ screen shoots, pictures of consol, and controller, and the whole thread was replaced w/ a MIB mine erase thing

then my friend told me the same thing happened on IGN and it was a configurable controller

acording to him one was in the shape of the GCN and one was a sphere

Another way for a configurable controller would be a rubix cube controller, you can place the buttons anywhere you want, if you have an iq of over 150...

I agree on the most part.

1. Robby the Robot These are actually the funniest thing you'll ever see. They move incredibly slowly, and drop hoops randomly. I blame the eighties for this shit.
2. power glove I've never seen one, but I imagine that it's shit.
3. Super Scope 6, couldn't just have a regular zapper, had to be a bazooka The Bazooka didn't make that much difference; just gave it a more meaty feel. I'm indifferent on this one.
4. Gameboy camera and printer I love the Gameboy Camera, thought it was a great idea. It was low quality of course, but seeing your face in a game for the first time ever was something to behold.
5. Pokemon :blink: Slightly werid, but very successful. A bit like Steven Hawking.
6. Donky Konga Congos Not really werid-just a controller for a rythm action game. Sure, it can control a platformer, but it's a damn good play.
7. Virtual Boy Yeah, it's pointlessly werid.
8. DS Come on, you're just being controversial ;)

You missed off what would have been the weridest, but to be honest rather interesting add on for the N64. I'm not sure if it came out in Japan, but development was underway for a game called "Bio Tetris", which came with a clip you put on your ear. The game then picked up your pulse, and the game would change accordingly; on easy mode, the faster your heart beat the slower the blocks would fall (which would be a dull experience) where as with the hard mode the faster your heart beat the faster they would fall.

An example of something very werid, but also rather interesting.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo already stated the controllers are wireless. Further, the GC port are in a panel hidden on the top of the Rev that you can open and close... coolest thing ever, if you ask me.

Back