New owner with a bunch of problems :(

AcesHigh

Still Fresh
Hello folks! I just got my Pandora last week and seem to be having a bunch of problems. I really DID read as much of the support here on the forums to help fix these problems. and I managed to resolve some of them. But I have a few that I can't resolve. I'm hoping someone can help with some or all of these remaining issues:

1. Touch screen stopped working and wi-fi doesn't connect. I ran the hot fix 6 and since then, these elements don't work. Touch no longer works and i can get the WiFi to enable but it doesn't find my network

2. I cannot run my Web Browser. I get, "Failed to execute default Web Browser. Input/output error"

3. When I WAS able to connect to WiFi, I couldn't install anything from the PNDstore. Stated that I do not have permissions

4. Many emulators I downloaded don't work: Snes9x4P, GnuBoy and none of the Mednaf emulators - when loading the ROMs, the emulator just resets to the selection screen. The FBA with CAP app doesn't even boot. GnGeo & Handy give the following error: "Mounting the PND failed. The application won't start. Please have a look st tmp/pndrun_gngeo_pepone(Handy).out"

5. I have downloaded a couple FAT32 formatters and have looked at many discussions on formatting 64GB SDXC cards but I can't find any that help. I have a SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s 64GB card and can't find anything to format it to anything that's recognized on the Pandora.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you so much!

1. Touch screen stopped working and wi-fi doesn't connect. I ran the hot fix 6 and since then, these elements don't work. Touch no longer works and i can get the WiFi to enable but it doesn't find my network
The hotfix 6 upgrade just doesn't work. I don't know why EvilDragon hasn't removed it. It's broken.

Do the full update, that should fix these problems.

2. I cannot run my Web Browser. I get, "Failed to execute default Web Browser. Input/output error"
As of HF6, the built in Web Browser has been removed in favour of one from the repo, your choice. I used to like Midori (the old built in one) but have found that the latest Firefox is really quite good. Try them all out, keep the one you want.

3. When I WAS able to connect to WiFi, I couldn't install anything from the PNDstore. Stated that I do not have permissions
Check your SD card, make sure the right directories exist and are not write-protected. Also do a chkdsk on the SD card from your desktop, just to be sure.

4. Many emulators I downloaded don't work: Snes9x4P, GnuBoy and none of the Mednaf emulators - when loading the ROMs, the emulator just resets to the selection screen. The FBA with CAP app doesn't even boot. GnGeo & Handy give the following error: "Mounting the PND failed. The application won't start. Please have a look st tmp/pndrun_gngeo_pepone(Handy).out"
Don't know this one. Maybe part of the HF6 upgrade problem I mentioned and will fix itself with a full re-install.

5. I have downloaded a couple FAT32 formatters and have looked at many discussions on formatting 64GB SDXC cards but I can't find any that help. I have a SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s 64GB card and can't find anything to format it to anything that's recognized on the Pandora.
Panasonic SD Card Formatter

As of HF6, the built in Web Browser has been removed in favour of one from the repo, your choice. I used to like Midori (the old built in one) but have found that the latest Firefox is really quite good. Try them all out, keep the one you want.

I had the same question, I was thinking to have a bad copy of the firmware, glad it is normal, I was using Linx before getting firefox :p

This is all great help guys. I really want to get my SDCX card to work first so I can re-flash everything on the new card as directed above. But now I can't get the Panasonic formatter to run. I followed the instructions and created the "bnsdusb" in the root c:\ directory, extracted everything to that folder and ran installation from there. But when the installation is done, there are no icons or anything. I went to find the Panasonic folder in my Program (x86) file folder, founf the executable and ran it. But all i got was the "Allow panasonic to..." dialogue box and nothing afterwards. what am I missing here? running Windows 7. I feel like a trard (but I'm never tardie)!

Looking at the download page and reading your post again, it looks like you might be following instructions for the USB3 utility. Is that what you mean to be installing? If you use the first link you just get a (zipped) exe to run. There are no instructions about creating folders on C:\.

(As far as I remember it's not possible to format SD cards under Linux the way the Panasonic Formatter does. It applies some SD specific optimizations or something.)

You can install gparted and run it with sudo. Pretty straight-forward GUI. Just don't format your internal drives (except you want to...)

@ Gruso. Thanks for your help! I did try SD Formatter 3.1 first. But it only formats to exFAT. I don't see an option for FAT32. Then yes, I tried the USB one which didn't do anything.

I have formatted my two SanDisk 64GB SDXCs for the Pandora on the PC with Linux (VFAT32)...

Code:
mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n PANDORA64A /dev/mmcblk0p1

This always works best for me, even for Dingux (which is really picky).

If you don't have a permanent Linux install, use a Live CD such as Fedora.

For your emulator problems, try the Emu Pack. It should help new users to get started.

What about using an ext2 filesystem? Is it a good idea or not? Journalling fs are a bad idea I guess, since the journal adds wear to the SD card. But ext2 should be ok, right? Or do the SD card controllers somehow assume/optimize for FAT?

I am used to being in linux-only environments and I like to have files with permissions and symlinks and all that - which FAT cannot do. So I was planning to format at least one card as ext2, unless it will cause my card to wear faster...

Or do the SD card controllers somehow assume/optimize for FAT?
My understanding is that some do, and some don't. The problem is that you generally don't (and most often can't) know what's in a given card, although there are some exceptions to this in the cases of the few companies that manufacture all of the components in a given card (although even then it's not necessarily going to be a guarantee, depending on what they happen to make). The tenth bullet-point here specifically mentions this, and I can say from personal experience that what's said here also applies to using ext2 (and I would guess ext4 as well, but I haven't tried it, thus can't verify it), as well.

The hotfix 6 upgrade just doesn't work. I don't know why EvilDragon hasn't removed it. It's broken.

Huh? Since When? I also only made a pnd update of Hotfix6 and it works nice so far on my Pandora. It may missing some of the newer menubar functions like wifi toggle but I already have this done per desktoplink.

And if the (for me very important) soft update per PND has flaws, it should be fixed. I don't want to do a complete full OS reinstall, costs to much nerves to setup everything again, I am not good in Linux so I'm happy when it just works. ^^"

Huh? Since When? I also only made a pnd update of Hotfix6 and it works nice so far on my Pandora. It may missing some of the newer menubar functions like wifi toggle but I already have this done per desktoplink.
If you run it on HF7 or newer (new units come with SuperZaxxon), it trashes the system.

Damn, sounds like I can't avoid a full update then. Well, I guess it's still time untill the new hotfix is ready. HF6 works good enough for me at the Moment, even battery charging. But I'm ready when SuperZaxxon is ready. :)

If you run it on HF7 or newer (new units come with SuperZaxxon), it trashes the system.
From the HF6 Release thread, even people upgrading from HF5 were having problems. It seems the only people that didn't have a problem were those who had kept up with the betas.

Back