New Pandora Case

gotwake424

Hey guys,

So in the next couple of week I will start learning about carbon fibering/fiberglassing throught my degree. So I want to make a pandora case like the actual body out of carbon fiber. And I deas on what camera I should try to add into it? front/back

Thanks

no camera, just send me a case for testing purpose, kthxbai

I really want to add a front facing camera for video chat and such. Aren't there small ones i could solder right to the extra usb?

I'm fine with that or a speaker delete situation maybe?

And cameras you know of?

I would recommend finding a webcam from a laptop, many of them are USB.

You can get one from either a laptop or ordering the part individually.

Once I have the money, I would gladly pay for a videochat-ready case. I wonder if you could just add a minor bump on the lid and still keep the speakers.

A non-plastic case would just be great in general. I've been wondering about the feasibility of producing one from aluminum.

I'm fine with that or a speaker delete situation maybe?

And cameras you know of?
I don't think it would ruin the Pandora to remove one of the speakers and replace it with a webcam personally. If people want the best audio on any type of handheld device they will always plug in the headphones anyway because the headphones have the added bonus of blocking out unwanted noises too. That's the reason why the speakers are always lower quality.

Remove one of the speakers, replace the other one with a higher quality speaker if possible and set your audio to mono. Might need to write a little script to turn your audio back into stereo/mono mode when the the headphones are plugged or unplugged though.

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself so please post back if you find a decent webcam :)

Is your project to create a slip cover to go around the Pandora or to replace the molded plastic shell of the device itself?

Suggestion: limit the scope of your project to just one or two pieces of the case that could most use reinforcement.

Top of the list (IMHO) is the battery door. You'll need to find the right plastic to encapsulate the matting in so that it is stiff enough to hold right but flexible enough for the snaps to fit and be used properly. That one piece may be a challenge in itself.

Is your project to create a slip cover to go around the Pandora or to replace the molded plastic shell of the device itself?
I wanted to ask the same. Pandora carrying case ore the pandora case itself?

Would like to see some alternations to the more or less low quality one we got fromthe chinese case factory. ^^

But the last thins the Pandora would need is a Webcam. I would start with a enlighted Keyboard because writing in the dark is a pain in the ass on the Pandora. ^^" (no, the Display does NOT light up the keyboard, unlike popular belief. ;) Not in the only stable 180 degrees position at least. )

it will be the actual body of the pandora, I might do just the lid (front,back) and the botton and battery cover.

Also I have looked into keyboard backlighting some time ago and the general consensus was that it was impractical because of the black key mat

A back-lit keyboard would be SOOO nice.

I think it would be cool and interesting for the Pandora to have a camera in it. It certainly wouldn't hurt, would it? Why not try to get one of those webcams that are built into laptops. It would be small enough I'm sure, but I don't know if it would be easy to make it work.

Please post a lot of screenshots of this! ^_^

I will when I start doing airframe in class

in like a couple weeks it will be then

as i said back light key board wont work

^ What about something in the vein of the "ThinkLight" from the Lenovo ThinkPads? It's a little lamp embedded in roughly the same spot a webcam would typically go, with the casing angled to point the light down at the keyboard. The Pandora has the extra pads for LEDs, right?

Someone should make an attachable light to look over the Pandora keyboard. Something much like the little Gameboy Lamp that was used to light up the screen that plugged in the side. :p

Back