[ New Pandora Use ] flashenv

crow_riot

Hey,

just want to announce my entry to this competition: flashenv

get it at the repo: download

It's in the spirit of apkenv (thus the name) and allows you to play flash games without the need of a browser. It uses the flashplayer included in the current firefox release pnd and some additional required libraries (thanks to hdonk).

I've started this project on my own and was making good progress and then stumbled upon simple-linux-flash-embed, which helped me to get it done faster. so it's not a 1:1 port but some good part of the code was taken from it.

For now I just added a zenity dialog for you to select your .swf file.

To quit flashenv, you need to use CTRL+q. I know, yet another shortcut, but I think it could be one that is not used by any flash games out there (ESC is just used too often).

Let me know if there's more interest in this. Features I've in mind are of course a nicer SDL based selection interface and probably per-game key mapping, so that you can map pandora buttons to flash game buttons.

Currently it's in the "Emulators" category, which is again, not really correct. If someone could point me to a better category, I'm happy to change it.

Source code will be uploaded to my github account soonish (when time + family obligations permit).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it flash 10 or 11 you use?
it says 11 in the right mouse menu. it's taken from the firefox 26 pnd.

VectorTD

[not working]

[even with wifi + net enabled on OP]

You can test it by downloading file

http://www.candystand.com/games/vectortd4/vectortd.swf
thanks. will check

Nice entry !

Does flashenv play games faster than in the browser, by the way ?
actually i dont know. what it takes away is the memory used by the browser, rest should be pretty much the same.

i've played canabalt and it performed ok on my CC

Tried "The Most Wanted Bandito 2" --> Stuck at loading screen forever

Tried "Strike Force Heroes 2" --> Looks like it needs Flash 11.2.  How do you install Flash 11.2? 

VectorTD

[not working]

[even with wifi + net enabled on OP]
got it working. some bits and bytes (errm... ifs) were missing in the wrapper. there's one small issue, you need to manually press "Forward" in the menu ... to get it run. no idea why.

Neat :) Tried a few games as well, and while many did segfault, some nice ones worked fine :)

Some kind of keymap config for games would be great. Many use space as key button but some use other keys.

Would be neat being able to define that on a per-game-basis.

Tried "The Most Wanted Bandito 2" --> Stuck at loading screen forever

Tried "Strike Force Heroes 2" --> Looks like it needs Flash 11.2.  How do you install Flash 11.2? 
just The Most Wanted Bandito 2 works now, too. On my CC, it's slow, though.

About Flash 11.2 ... I've just ripped it from the firefox pnd. I think you need to sign up at TI and get it there. and then put libflashplayer.so it into your <appdata>/flashenv/flashplayer/ folder... and send me the updated .so, so that i can integrate it into the next release.

Neat :) Tried a few games as well, and while many did segfault, some nice ones worked fine :)

Some kind of keymap config for games would be great. Many use space as key button but some use other keys.

Would be neat being able to define that on a per-game-basis.
Thanks for trying. If you could point me out, what swf's are not working, i can check. I've reworked some part of the code where I also had segfaults with vectorTD, i think that could fix some problems.

Just uploaded a new release to the repo:

Implemented fetching of remote data which should remove some segfault problems.

Also added keymapping support. Keymap is loaded from <appdata>/flashenv/keymap.ini. Just start an .swf file once and it will be placed there, or download this file and name it keymap.ini.

I hope it's pretty self explanatory.

Also uploaded the code to github: https://github.com/crowriot/flashenv

All of the games I tried do work now - a lot of them are pretty slow, but many of them are nicely playable :)

All of the games I tried do work now - a lot of them are pretty slow, but many of them are nicely playable :)
Thanks for reporting back! Good to know that it doesn't crash anymore :)

about playback speed... i'm going to make flash's config attributes configurable, which make e.g. quality selectable. currently it's set to best, but could be something like autolow, too...

I just tried vectorTD - link from CB - and it is indeed slow but playable on setting low and my classic Pandora overclocked to 1050 Mhz. Pretty sure it will be sweet on the Pyra and maybe already full speed on an overclocked Ghz. 

Is there anyway to stop the auto-playing sound on this page?

Had two more games of vectorTD and it crashed twice in the later levels - 42 of 50

Back