Release New PSX4Pandora video

DuFace

Still Fresh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXtYmZa4yM

From the video description:
Hello from ZodTTD of zodttd.com!

I recently made a new build of psx4pandora, the Sony Playstation 1 emulator for the incredible Pandora. Pandora is a extremely high end homebrew gaming-oriented handheld ( openpandora.org ) as seen on Slashdot.

This video was quickly made to get feedback on what games to showcase in a more professionally made video coming soon.

The three games showcased are (in order) Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 7, and Wipeout XL.

This video is accurate and shows these games running on a devkit running at STOCK speed. This is truly an amazing handheld!

Thanks for the support,
ZodTTD
zodttd.com

SWEET!

Thanks for the info!

That is looking pretty damn good!

Is it me, or is it running at over 100%?

Just posted about Wipeout 2097 running pretty slowly, around 1/3 slower than real hardware, pretty disapointing though, i know the first Wipeout was zipping along 100fps or whatever it was, i didn't know how much more requirements the sequel needed!
Though hopefully it should be full speed when the 3D GPU is used and its fully optimised etc

Beautiful, thanks to OP for relaying it to us before Zod makes the announcement in the morning or something ;)

Doesn't look too fast, in fact, judging from the lap timer on wipeout, looks like it could even be slow?

I can't really tell though, before seeing the wipeout video, I thought it was running at 100% dead on.

Vote for FFVII for the showcase video anyway ;) Flagship title of the PSX in my opinion.

-Origin

I'm sure there's still a lot of speed to be gained. But I agree that it does seem a bit slow, FF7 seems to be a tad slower than the previous videos Zodttd had posted. Oh well, I have faith that the emulator will be amazing, I just finished getting a few PSX games I've been meaning to play :D Trying to keep busy while waiting for my Pandora is excruciating!

Just went over and browsed the PSX thread, but zodttd seems optimistic about everything:

zodttd said:
Well two things could be affecting Wipeout XL's performance:
1. I may still be slightly off with the root counters (timers on psx) that Wipeout seems to rely on heavily.
2. All these games will run better on a more proper build for a more recent Pandora devkit. I currently rotate and scale the screen, and the way I am doing rotation is hideously slow. Rotation of the video won't be needed once I get a newer devkit, or have someone with a newer devkit take a video.

Checkout this thread, seems to be more activity about whats going on.

-Origin

Well, if they do have problems with speed, they could code several millions of code in completely useless variables.

Or put a lock onto the hardware which would consume less battery/not heat as quickly.

Antoligy said:
Well, if they do have problems with speed, they could code several millions of code in completely useless variables.

Or put a lock onto the hardware which would consume less battery/not heat as quickly.
This will be implemented through downclocking and the SOC is supposed to have some features to save battery on its own.

Username said:
Awesome, this is the reason Pandora caught my interest.

Is the Playstation emulation the only reason? I mean, that can be had on a PSP (admittedly at a bit more work) and is well known to work, but much of the other functionality is weak on a PSP and that is why I am much more interested in a Pandora at this point.

Is the Playstation emulation the only reason? I mean, that can be had on a PSP (admittedly at a bit more work) and is well known to work, but much of the other functionality is weak on a PSP and that is why I am much more interested in a Pandora at this point.
Yea... However I would say the Pandora PS1 emu has much greater potential than the PSP emu.

Here's the advantages i see:
1. Once the GPU plugin is stable we will begin to see nifty filters.
2. The resolution of the Pandora is larger than 640x480. So when things are rendered at that res (usually text in rpgs) you don't get bilinear filtering.
3. The inputs are better on Pandora.
4. The battery life will be much better, Especially with some optimization.

Anyway, Sorry to go off topic. Nice Video.

jaycee900 said:
Just posted about Wipeout 2097 running pretty slowly, around 1/3 slower than real hardware, pretty disapointing though, i know the first Wipeout was zipping along 100fps or whatever it was, i didn't know how much more requirements the sequel needed!
Though hopefully it should be full speed when the 3D GPU is used and its fully optimised etc

That´s not true.I am used to play regularly the Wipeout games in my PS and that Wipeout 2097 video is almost fullspeed is not full ;) But it is in the slow championship.

Rivroner said:
jaycee900 said:

That´s not true.I am used to play regularly the Wipeout games in my PS and that Wipeout 2097 video is almost fullspeed is not full ;) But it is in the slow championship.

Judging by the seconds counter alone it is running at about 1/3 speed. The clock doesn't go slower in the easy championship does it?

Also, though I could be mistaken, I believe these videos are frame-limited at 60fps.

My reasoning? Look back at the original earliest videos of a psx emu running on Pandora hardware. Those are at stock speed, with L2 cache turned off (if I recall the facts correctly, which I'm fairly sure about). They're at ~2x the speed of the game in question - compare the first video of Einhander: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKqUxIGEttc&feature=related with the second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy94q2ct94s&feature=related. Both being at identical clockspeeds, but one with the Framelimit code turned on.

I would guess that any issues with games in these vids would *probably* be to do with something other than raw emulation speed. Seeing as Zodttd has already mentioned that the timers may be a little off (hence Wipeout being a touch slower than it should be), I'd guess that's the issue here more than anything else.

Back