New Pyra just arrived...

hdonk

Hi all!
So I received my Pyra this morning. I've booted it up, but ran in to a problem. I tried to do the screen calibration, but accidentally hit the wrong place on the screen. I waited for the auto cancel, but now the touch screen calibration is shot. I can move the cursor around with the left nub, but when I let go the cursor shoots off to the top right corner of the screen. The same thing happens if I do try to touch the screen, but even if I get the cursor over any of the buttons, nothing happens.
I've tried to use the FN keys to get a to a prompt to start hacking away, but there's no working console.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks!

hmm maybe the bezzel is pressing the touchscreen somewhere at the top? No idea how to disable the touch input though, some people with some linux-fu might be able to help you, you could theoretically ssh into it and disable touch.

You could try to get to a tty window by pressing ctrl-alt-f1 (if Im correct) on the pyra that would be upper-left shoulder, lower-right shoulder, alt (in the middle close to the start button) and 1. Then you can try stuff.

Unfortunately the bootup process is still hogging the first console window, as the first setup process is run out of that script, so no go.
And no actual SSH as I haven't got as far as even setting the network up!
I suspect I need to do a reflash from SD card, but I have no idea how to achieve that on the Pyra. Assuming it's just a bad touch screen calibration issue....

So there was a piece of plastic flash still attached to the inside of the screen bezel. After taking it apart cutting out the lump, and putting it back together I'm back in business. It looks like having the screen protection film was creating enough separation and the problem only occurred once I stripped it off.

Dang. Now I hit cancel when entering my new password, and I can't log in once the system rebooted.
Any default root/whatever passwords for recovery?

And we're in business!
IMG_20210716_143551.jpg

And we're in business!
View attachment 37328
Liking both the Pyra and the keyfobs! Aptly enough, Ode to Joy starts with
“Joy, beautiful spark of Divinity [or: of gods],
Daughter of Elysium,
We enter, drunk with fire,
Heavenly one, thy sanctuary!”

So, to summarise: virtuous heroes will be released into “paradise” excitedly with their Pyra* ;) :p Especially if you do like @Bosbeetle does and lightning strikes you outside whilst you’re using your Pyra :oops: xD

*I was thinking about what @linx wrote (Πύρρες) and how actually, the plural of Pyra could be Pyres? EDIT: Perhaps etymologically it could be but given the rather funereal nature of pyres, perhaps not...

Last edited:
Impressions so far:
Much much nippier than the Pandora.
Wish the lid switch worked fully!
Need to use 'mplayer -vo x11' to avoid colour channel swapping on xv output. However plays video FS well.
Chromium is a little laggy :(
The touch screen edge issue is a lot better than I got from the other feedback. It needs a bit more pressure to register, but you can still touch at the edges.

It doesn't? It should be a magnet in the lid and a hall effect sensor on the mainboard; probably the oldest type of non-contact proximity sensor there is.
It only doesn't work in that it doesn't send the Pyra in to low power mode. It locks the screen, turns it off, but leaves the key backlight on....

Did you press the 1 key hard to get it like that?

Btw. your key-chain looks pristine, mine has been in my pocket for so long only I can still see the Pyra logo on it.
View attachment 37340
It came with my Pyra, so brand new!
And I didn't press the 1 very hard, but harder than it needs - I'm still in Pandora key pressing strength I think!
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, the lid switch is there and working, but the software is not fully configured yet :)

Is there a Dev guide for the Pyra? I might get some time to look at a few issues... Maybe... XD

Hi all!
So I received my Pyra this morning. I've booted it up, but ran in to a problem. I tried to do the screen calibration, but accidentally hit the wrong place on the screen. I waited for the auto cancel, but now the touch screen calibration is shot. I can move the cursor around with the left nub, but when I let go the cursor shoots off to the top right corner of the screen. The same thing happens if I do try to touch the screen, but even if I get the cursor over any of the buttons, nothing happens.
I've tried to use the FN keys to get a to a prompt to start hacking away, but there's no working console.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed?
Thanks!

What was the order number on your pcb?

Wish the lid switch worked fully!
Looks like it's configured here: Pyra-ignore-lidswitch.conf (Permalink). It says it's because "suspend doesn't work yet". The file seems to be installed at /usr/lib/systemd/logind.conf.d/Pyra-ignore-lidswitch.conf.

Is there a Dev guide for the Pyra?
Entry point is: https://dev.pyra-handheld.com
Repo for configs, scripts, etc.: https://dev.pyra-handheld.com/packages
Dummy package to collect issues on PyraOS: https://dev.pyra-handheld.com/EvilDragon/pyra-os/-/issues
Kernel in use is Letux Kernel: https://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel
Kernel mailing list: https://pyra-handheld.com/pipermail/kernel.

Back