New Ram Chip, New Oc Capability?

Tristan

n00bie GP32 coder (MasterMind)
Website
Visit site
I've been fascinated with all the latest new speedtesters 'n all, but seeing as the GP32 can only overclock to 166MHz with any visible results, they're all kind of useless. I've heard that this is because the RAM can't be accessed any faster, so the CPU speed kind of gets rounded back to 166MHz, but I just read http://www.gbax.com/new/longestday.html and it turns out they put a new RAM chip in the BLU. Seeing as the RAM bus' maximum speed is at around 182MHz, do you think the BLU might have faster RAM? (Anyone with a typenumber, or datasheet?) RobBrown?

The thing with RAM is its always run at precisely half the speed the CPU is set to. So at 133MHz CPU, the RAM bus is set to ~66MHz. Thus, despite 133 being its max, you'd actually have to overclock to 266MHz before the ram bus actually became a problem. That said, its *possible* different ram could improve OCing performance, but I'd hesitate to say that it would in every case, or for that matter, that a different CPU (or one with a tad more voltage ging to it ;) ) might do a better job.

Back