New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
UPDATE:
The dynarec is loading everything I throw at it! Only 2 more bugs to fix before release!
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...id=509835&#

Hi everyone!

Those small step taken to progress the dynarec for gpSP, the GBA emulator for the GP2X by Exophase and I, has paid off!

I have successfully loaded the first commercial game using gpSP and my dynarec...Mario Kart Super Circuit loaded and went through the menu system! This is huge and progress is being made to get it into "in-game" as it crashes just before it loads a course.

I'll give some reports on performance in either an hour or two, or about 12 hours from now. I have a lot of optimizing to do as it outputs very bloated code right now. So if it runs even a bit slowly now, it'll run really fast soon!

YAY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I only wish the GBC emulator had better compatibility...none of Tony Hawk's games work. I think I can modify VBA to do the job...we'll see.

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 04:19 PM said:
I have successfully loaded the first commercial game using gpSP and my dynarec...Mario Kart Super Circuit loaded and went through the menu system! This is huge and progress is being made to get it into "in-game" as it crashes just before it loads a course.

Great news! And I like your choice of test game!

Good to know that at least this one will be working when you get a chance to release a dyna-rec version of gpSP :)

zodttd posted on Mar 6 2007 at 05:19 AM said:
Hi everyone!

Those small step taken to progress the dynarec for gpSP, the GBA emulator for the GP2X by Exophase and I, has paid off!

I'll give some reports on performance in either an hour or two, or about 12 hours from now. I have a lot of optimizing to do as it outputs very bloated code right now. So if it runs even a bit slowly now, it'll run really fast soon!

YAY!

Great thanks for the update :)

Good work with this. That sounds like a complex thing to do, you must be a coding genius, as well as Exophase. I guess I will have to start warming up my Paypal account so when something working is released I can donate something.

*wets himself*

I'm very excited, I've already strted collect me gba collection in roms (mario kart was one of my first games on gba :p )
This and Slick are what make the gp2x the most excitong platform.. fuck halo3 mgs4 etc B)
needless to say, I'm very excited :)

Your writing a dynarec to convert arm code to arm code? Did you try and use the mmu first? That was my plan, as you can map the gba into the lower memory regions and still have Linux active in the higher regions. I didn't know how to correctly emulate the fact when running self-modifying code from the gba's ram though. I always ended up with cache issues! (and of course, disabling the cache means really slow running code).

Good luck with your alternative method - maybe you'll be able to find a way around the little problem I had by using a dynarec.

[worship]zodttd, thou art the redeemer of geekkind! cleanse our gear with sublime code and bless our equipment with sacred asm. amen.[/worship]

Wow !!

As Usual Master ZodTTd will enlight our realm !

Thanks for your job mister
paxl13

This is great news, i've no doubt that you'll be providing us with fantastic fullspeed GBA soon, Zodttd! I hope your hard work pays off.

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're getting there - can't wait to see the next iteration towards the final result :) Best of luck!

UPDATE!

I got the dynarec working! It's loading every game I throw at it!
It's fullspeed on parts that were very slow (such as Super Mario Bros 4 for the GBA).

There is an issue where during certain parts of certain games, things slow down to a crawl. Once that bug, and a palette (color) bug is fixed, we'll be on our way towards a release.

This is indeed very good news!

Back