New User- In The Market For Something New

Armored.raven

Still Fresh
Hello! This is my very first post on these forums, and I'm happy I found this place. I cam here originally looking into stuff about the OpenPandora project.

To the point, I was looking into getting something new (for Christmas). I'm interested in a some new portable game/ media/ awesome system.
I'm going off to college next year, so I will be getting a laptop aside from this. As of now, I've got a rooted HTC Dream android phone, which I love modding, so I'm not really into getting a new phone. I've also got a phat PSP 1000, which has CFW on it right now, which is also pretty fun, but I hate lugging that thing around. Not really into getting an iPod either...

Basically, I've only shown interest in the Pandora System (which I know will not be coming out for a while, but that's alright) and possibly a PSP go because it seems cool.
I was wondering what other suggestions you guys have at this moment.

Thanks for any help you can offer~
peace

dingoo or wiz. dingoo is slightly smaller, lots cheaper. It also seems to have a big following and real momentum.

bnolsen said:
dingoo or wiz. dingoo is slightly smaller, lots cheaper. It also seems to have a big following and real momentum.

Definitely an option. Not completely convinced though, maybe I am looking for something more powerful, as I can play that stuff on my psp. Does the dingo emulate the PSX well?

Oh, and regarding the Pandora... Does anyone believe it will be able to run some of the older PC games? Possibly like FFVII (PC), which is being modded like crazy now to look newer. I may be completely off, but the game originally required only around Intel Pentium 133 on windows 95... Thanks for the response!

Last edited by a moderator:
Armored.raven said:
bnolsen said:

Definitely an option. Not completely convinced though, maybe I am looking for something more powerful, as I can play that stuff on my psp. Does the dingo emulate the PSX well?

Oh, and regarding the Pandora... Does anyone believe it will be able to run some of the older PC games? Possibly like FFVII (PC), which is being modded like crazy now to look newer. I may be completely off, but the game originally required only around Intel Pentium 133 on windows 95... Thanks for the response!
It will run REALLY old DOS games, but FF7 requires like DirectX 5 or 6 or something, there's no way it will happen.
There is FF7 for PS1, though, and it can emulate that easily.

Armored.raven said:

If it's being modded to look better then the system requirements are probably skyrocketing too. I doubt it really ran all that well on a Pentium 133.

Exophase said:
Armored.raven said:

If it's being modded to look better then the system requirements are probably skyrocketing too. I doubt it really ran all that well on a Pentium 133.

I figured as much... It was a nice idea though :D
The more I think about this, the more I think I'm leaning towards ordering a Pandora when it comes into production.
Is there any estimate time someone can give me for ordering a Pandora? I know there are a bunch of people who pre ordered and stuff, but around when in 2010 can one expect to get one? Thanks for your help guys!

Back in the day people said FF VII was better looking on their PC than on the their PS. Though I don't think there would be much of a difference on the Pandora since it has a smaller screen.

Some people might get their Pandora before Christmas, but that's only for the few that ordered with in the first hour or so of the pre-orders opening up. If you can't wait I would go for the Dingoo since it's cheaper, especially if you want to get a Pandora later on.

Armored.raven said:
I figured as much... It was a nice idea though :D
The more I think about this, the more I think I'm leaning towards ordering a Pandora when it comes into production.
Is there any estimate time someone can give me for ordering a Pandora? I know there are a bunch of people who pre ordered and stuff, but around when in 2010 can one expect to get one? Thanks for your help guys!

Expect the pandora in about 2 months.
Of course they said that 2 months ago...and 2 months before that...
I thought you wanted something now ?

I was in the same situation. Bored of waiting for the Pandora, and nothing else close to as good.

So I got a SmartQ V7. It's geek fun, but not something you can just easily pick up and play with. It's got a more powerful GPU than the pandora, but I doubt we will ever see drivers. The peformance of the graphics lets me know that this is using some god awful generic drivers. The WinCE can't even play windows mobile games. Anyway, it gives me something to play with and it does 1080P video. Plays about 90% of the video I give it without going stupid.

second exodous said:
If you can't wait I would go for the Dingoo since it's cheaper, especially if you want to get a Pandora later on.

I'd second that (in fact, it's what I have just done). Dingoo is so cheap it's almost "disposable". Wiz would be nice, but it's just a tad too high a price when it won't do much more than a PSP (and far less than a Pandora if you're going to get one). Dingoo is just at that sweet spot of price/performance. For your purposes, its size factor could be a bonus, being a fair bit smaller than a PSP.

AFAIK, PSX is not very good on Dingoo, check Youtube for videos. Some games are playable, but most are quite slow.

Back