Newbie Wanting To Know If A Couple Of Games Will Work With The Gp2x

dorkultra

Still Fresh
hello, i'm pretty new to learning about the gp2x. i'm mostly interested in emulating sega genesis games on it and maybe some mame. (i'd like to do snes also, but i've read that it doesn't work out so well)

i need to know for sure if the following games will work:
-michael jackson's moonwalker - either mame or genesis
-boogerman - genesis
-vectorman - genesis
-earthworm jim 1 and 2 - genesis
-street fighter alpha 4 - mame
-the simpsons - mame
-mortal kombat 3 - mame
-xmen - mame

do any of the genesis emulators offer a realtime save mode?

also i'm interested in some neogeo emulation, like the metal slug series

thanks!

-michael jackson's moonwalker - YES
-boogerman - YES
-vectorman - YES
-earthworm jim 1 and 2 - YES
-street fighter alpha 4 - YES
-the simpsons - Which one?
-mortal kombat 3 - Dunno
-xmen - Dunno

I've not tried everything here, but Pretty much every Genisis game works full speed, you'll have no problems with them.
not sure about those Mame games, I know Street Fighter2 runs fine, but the ones you mentioned sound much newer and I doubt they go full speed just yet.

Aparently the NeoGeo emulator is amazing, and the Metal Slug games (at least the first few) run very well.

Also the SNES is coming along nicely, most games go full speed, but there are some issues with tranparencies, which means some games just dont look right. But it is being worked on and I can see it being as good as the Genesis emulation very soon.

good to hear, thanks for the fast replies.

the simpsons mame aracde edition is the one where marge has a vaccuum clean as a weapon

do i need to patch the roms to get them to load with the emulator?
(i'm used to using a flash cart with my nintendo ds lite)

also, any word about the realtime save option? does one exist?

also, i'm guessing street of rage 2 works ok also then?

No, no patching required, although for MAME you need to find the right romsets (0.34).

Many emulators have real-time saving (Save States), including both Genesis ones (DrMDX & PicoDrive -- both of which are amazing). MAME cannot do this on any platform.

With recent developments, SNES emulation is now quite excellent on GP2X, with most games running full speed (there are several exceptions, including SuperFX titles), but transparencies still require a workaround.

Street Fighter Alpha 4 is not supported by GP2X MAME, although you can play SNK vs Capcom on Neo Geo. I don't think Simpsons or Xmen are supported yet (are they CPS-2?), but there is work being done on emulating more recent arcade games. MK3 not supported on MAME, but Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Genesis works great.

Neo Geo emulation is superb, and all Metal Slug games I've tried ran fullspeed on the latest version of GNGeo (with a bit of overclock, natch).

No, no patching required, although for MAME you need to find the right romsets (0.34).

Many emulators have real-time saving (Save States), including both Genesis ones (DrMDX & PicoDrive -- both of which are amazing). MAME cannot do this on any platform.

With recent developments, SNES emulation is now quite excellent on GP2X, with most games running full speed (there are several exceptions, including SuperFX titles), but transparencies still require a workaround.

Street Fighter Alpha 4 is not supported by GP2X MAME, although you can play SNK vs Capcom on Neo Geo. I don't think Simpsons or Xmen are supported yet (are they CPS-2?), but there is work being done on emulating more recent arcade games. MK3 not supported on MAME, but Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on Genesis works great.

Neo Geo emulation is superb, and all Metal Slug games I've tried ran fullspeed on the latest version of GNGeo (with a bit of overclock, natch).

I know the simpsons is a Konami game, so it's not CPS-2.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello, i'm pretty new to learning about the gp2x. i'm mostly interested in emulating sega genesis games on it and maybe some mame. (i'd like to do snes also, but i've read that it doesn't work out so well)

i need to know for sure if the following games will work:
-michael jackson's moonwalker - either mame or genesis
-boogerman - genesis
-vectorman - genesis
-earthworm jim 1 and 2 - genesis
-street fighter alpha 4 - mame
-the simpsons - mame
-mortal kombat 3 - mame
-xmen - mame

do any of the genesis emulators offer a realtime save mode?

also i'm interested in some neogeo emulation, like the metal slug series

thanks!

Most Genesis games work at full speed w/ sound in PicoDrive. I am sure there is one or two that don't work, but I havent found any yet in PicoDrive.

MAME is best for the older games but many new ones work great too. It is still being updated by the author, and he is brilliant so it will only get better.

NeoGeo is fantastic. If you set the sound rate to 11025 you can get full speed w/sound with little to no overclock. All of the Metal slug games work.

SNES is Still being worked on (I think) so that will improve as well. Right now many games play great.

You mention DS lite. The advantage the GP2X has for emulation is more RAM plus more screen resolution, and a bigger screen. For example NeoGeo and Genesis need 320 x 220 screen resolution. The DS is only 256 x 192 so alot of the graphics must be cut to fit on that.

No patching needed. Just copy ROMs to the SD card through your computer by dragging and dropping. The only "trick" is that you put the emulator files and ROMs in the directories specified in the Readme.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Street Fighter Alpha 4 is out?? I didn't know :p . Seriously though, you must be referring to Alpha 3, as it's the last game in the series. No, it doesn't work yet. However, I'd probably say CPS2 emulation is inevitable, most likely within the next year.

Back