Next Gen Games Doubles Development Cost

Website
www.digitalawakening.net
I just read an article about how the increased quality of the next generation of games are pushing the cost of development. We may see an increase in the price of console games from today's $49 to $59 or even $69. Personally I'm planning on getting a job next year so I can buy a PS3 and a HD capable TV and I'm looking forward to playing games that looks amazing and I don't really mind the price increase.

However, since I'm a bedroom developer myself this is even better news from that point of view. GP2X have 2 advantages next year. First off beeing a 2D handheld with a small screen development time is cut down a lot and so is the work required. And secondly GPH will be offering DRM protected sales of games online so you can easily download the games. This dramaticly cuts down distribution costs. So it's possible to make a game in a short time and charge a very small sum for it.

You do the math. If top quality games costs more then gamers are more likely to buy cheaper games. And the great thing about cheaper games is that the possibility of unique and interesting gameplay, story and even graphic style in a game increases. I would like to compare this to manga (comics) in Japan. There's one magazine in Japan (also available in other countires) called Shonen Jump that every week have a new 450 pages issue that costs only about $2. A good manga stays and in the futue it may be turned into an anime (cartoon) series. It's no big surprice there's so many different and interesting animes (and mangas) in Japan.

Damn that would seriously suck, I already think it's enough as is. Even 40 or 50 dollars is too much for a game these days. I really hope they don't increase the price any more than they have to.

Thing is that if the highest price is $69 instead of $49 then there's more room for smaller developers charging less money. My guess is that we will see an increase in this section for PC games. It's hard to get a game sold on PC because you can't earn much on a low price nor will you sell much if your price gets too close to that of the big games. I'm sure we won't see the exact same price increase on PC though as they are lower then consoles to start with.

Screw that...this is why I stopped console gaming. Its expensive as hell and its kinda useless. I remember when I bought Rayman 2 for 80 bucks for N64.....my grandpa almost has a freakin heart attack. Even I was shocked.....and not to mention, the game sucked more than britney spears backstage after a concert. I would only buy another console if Shenmue III comes out. I also like supporting the little companies, cuz, Gosh Darrnit!They desevere some reconition.

@aqwablaz3- ditto...im pretty much done with console gaming...i use my ps2 every now and then but i think im just going to stick with handhelds...

I also like supporting homebrew devs and small companies, sometimes they do so much more than the "big" developers out there (like eagames)

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 16 2005 at 06:18 PM said:
I just read an article about how the increased quality of the next generation of games are pushing the cost of development. We may see an increase in the price of console games from today's $49 to $59 or even $69. Personally I'm planning on getting a job next year so I can buy a PS3 and a HD capable TV and I'm looking forward to playing games that looks amazing and I don't really mind the price increase.

Price does matter very much. Increased costs means the publishers will be facing a higher risks. Failed game what costed 1mln$ is not that big loss. The one what costed 20 times more would broke a company.

It's yet to be seen if game buyers will accept higher prices. Imho not easily and it might be driving prices even more!

The newest consoles (and modern PCs too) imho are too expensive and overcooked technologically. Look at the hideously big custom chips they are made of. Producing them is not cheap and we aren't talking even about what were costs of developing them.

This all reminds me of history of battleships. They were getting bigger, with bigger guns and thicker armours. Yet their usefulness became quickly questionable even in the WWII as airplane carriers showed.

Imho the real deals will be in the emerging markets. Basically in the former "3rd world countries" and price will be everything then. There is need for a new SNES not a costly glorified technological monsters.

However at since I'm a bedroom developer myself this is even better news from that point of view. GP2X have 2 advantages next year. First off beeing a 2D handheld with a small screen development time is cut down a lot and so is the work required. And secondly GPH will be offering DRM protected sales of games online so you can easily download the games. This dramaticly cuts down distribution costs. So it's possible to make a game in a short time and charge a very small sum for it.

Yes! It's a brilliant and imho it is way of future.

It had been somewhat like in the past. The 8 bit microcomputers were simply enough to be able develop even alone for them. In an effect people were taking a risks as failure wasn't so costly.

You do the math. If top quality games costs more then gamers are more likely to buy cheaper games. And the great thing about cheaper games is that the possibility of unique and interesting gameplay, story and even graphic style in a game increases. I would like to compare this to manga (comics) in Japan. There's one magazine in Japan (also available in other countires) called Shonen Jump that every week have a new 450 pages issue that costs only about $2. A good manga stays and in the futue it may be turned into an anime (cartoon) series. It's no big surprice there's so many different and interesting animes (and mangas) in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back