Ngage 2.0 Service + N95 Thoughts.

Adventus

GP Mania
Not sure if this has been discussed on these forum but.... The Ngage 2.0 service for Symbian s60v3 phones (n95, n96, n82, etc) has been publically released and since I recently bought an N95 I thought I would give it a spin.

My thoughts so far:
  • I really thought the lack of controls would ruin it, but it seems the media controls paired with the 4 way rectangle thing on the n95 and, just as importantly, the fact that devs are aware of the limitations.... works fairly well.
  • The graphics are very impressive, some games near psp quality. This is not as surprising once you realise that the N95 is based on the OMAP 2420 (360mhz ARM11, MBX, 64mb ram).
  • The smaller screen size (2.6" I believe) is bit a of a hinderance, but at least its of good quality (Nice colours, brightness and contrast).
  • The actual ngage front end is pretty intuitive, very similar to Xbox's. You can easily download games and play multiplayer.
  • The launch games whilst not all very original (Asphalt 3 = Burnout, System Rush = F-zero / Wipeout) are pretty high quality and definitely worth the $16 AUD fee.
  • The fishing game, "Creatures of the Deep", is the major exception to the above (unoriginal bit). Its awesome, kind of like what Camelot did with mario tennis/golf (Sim + RPG).
So all in all, i think the Ngage 2.0 service has been surprisingly good sofar. The problem will be overcoming the financial failure of the original ngage and convincing more devs to develope original games for it (AKA not EA). I guess it may get some competition from the upcoming iPhone games.... but the Accelerometer + Touchscreen can only go so far.

It's too bad you can't play the original NGage games with it. Sure, most of them were shit, but I just want to be able to play Rifts.

Ravnos said:
It's too bad you can't play the original NGage games with it. Sure, most of them were shit, but I just want to be able to play Rifts.
Pandemonium was pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back