nlove (LÖVE) Game Engine Beta for Caanoo

SiENcE

Website
crankgaming.blogspot.com
This is the first beta of the Love2D Game-Engine runtime for mobile devices (Caanoo, later Dingoo and Nanonote).

It's called nlove.

Howto develop Games using Love2D visit the website: http://love2d.org/
You can also play this Games on Linux/Mac/Windows using the specific Love runtime. All Love Games are Multi-Platform!

Sourcecodes for all Games are included (*.love files are zip-Archives)!

Read the included README_Caanoo.txt for more informations.

new Game added:

Cartesian Cardinal Zap- Game by wacheski 2010 / iterationGAMES.com
ccz.png

other included Games:

nPong - Two Player Pong on Caannoo
npong.png

Snake
snake.png

Ninwa's Love Puzzle - small Physics Game
phys.png

included Demos:
* Hello World App
* Passing Clouds with Sound

nLove 0.7.0 with Sound support
Download

nLove 0.6.2 without Sound support
Download

This is a pretty easy way of making games for the Caanoo. Excellent work SiENcE.

Is there any change of a Wiz build?

How have you mapped the Caanoo's inputs? Can i plug in a keyboard and use it with love2d as well as the Caanoo buttons and analogue stick?

/Uni

I don't have a Wiz, but sure, i can build it.

The Caanoo uses a Joystick. Thats why you can't take a Keyboard. But sure. keyboard is supported, because the love games are crossplatform. You can download the Win/Linux/Mac version of Love2D and play this included Games on your PC :).

Take a look at the love files (this are ZIP archives and you can extract them).

The lua source files include the buttons mappings.
Code:
--[[
Caanoo nlove Joystick
=====================
A = 0
B = 2
X = 1
Y = 3
R = 5
L = 4
HOME = 6
HELP1 = 8
HELP2 = 9
HOLD = 7

Snes USB-Hub 2*Adapter
======================
1st org. Snes Joypad
--------------------
X = 0
A = 1
B = 2
Y = 3
R = 7
L = 6
SELECT = 8
START = 9

DINGOO nlove Buttons
====================
D-pad up            KEY_UP
D-pad down          KEY_DOWN
D-pad left          KEY_LEFT
D-pad right         KEY_RIGHT
A button            KEY_LEFTCTRL
B button            KEY_LEFTALT
X button            KEY_SPACE
Y button            KEY_LEFTSHIFT
Left shoulder       KEY_TAB
Right shoulder      KEY_BACKSPACE
START button        KEY_ENTER
SELECT button       KEY_ESC
POWER UP button HOLD KEY_PAUSE
]]--

For example, you can attach an SNES/PS2-USB Hub to your Caannoo and play via USB-Joypad. But maybe you have to remap the Keys.

btw. the Dingoo version is also out http://crankgaming.blogspot.com/2010/10/nlove-062-beta-love2d-for-dingoo.html

Great work ! :)
Do you think GP2X (F100/F200 ) could run this with good performance ?

ok, this is cool,. I hacked out a little start to a game, its just a rectangle controled by the analog stick. (can't get my vector normalization working, any help?) I am sota' getting how this works, so I would like to go ahead and build a little game. However without sound there is not much point,. sound is a huge part of my game desing method. Will sound be supported??

You have to rename the .zip to .love as this site will not let me upload a .love file. I will probably do some take on a robotron type game if we do get sound support,. cheers.

jph_iterationGAMES said:
ok, this is cool,. I hacked out a little start to a game, its just a rectangle controled by the analog stick. (can't get my vector normalization working, any help?) I am sota' getting how this works, so I would like to go ahead and build a little game. However without sound there is not much point,. sound is a huge part of my game desing method. Will sound be supported??

You have to rename the .zip to .love as this site will not let me upload a .love file. I will probably do some take on a robotron type game if we do get sound support,. cheers.

Nice someone uses this :).

Sure, Sound will be supported soon :).

Please follow this thread, because i dont want to use this thread on gp32x to answer love2d questions. There you also get an Win32 version of nLove to build and test your Game on PC.

http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2048

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SiENcE,

It seems i cannot move an image into negative screen coordinates... or, more correctly, if i rotate an image positioned at 0,0 then the corners of the image (vertices) will never enter negative x nor negative y, but instead all the vertices are pushed so that the corners never enter negative coordinate values.

Try the attached program on caanoo and on the pc (rename to .love). On the pc it seems to work fine.

Is this a bug?

/Uni

@u9i: yep it's a bug

Updates:
-music is working (using SDL_mixer (OGG Vorbis), Modplug (STM, MOD, XM, ...))
-soundeffect are working (Modplug (WAV))
-platform detection (Generic (PC), Caanoo, Dingoo, Nanonote)
-several bugfixes

I still have to fix an segfault issue when using music.

Is the update posted anywhere,. or still waiting on that last fix ? Kinda want to try some sounds in my little game.

Also, I think you said somewhere you are NOT using openGL and 3d chip for this, is that right? I'm just wondering how much speed this will have in the end, with out hardware rendering..,

Not yet. I want to fix the issues. I can give you an preview via PM.

So Caanoo only supports OpenGLES but this is not supported right now.

Dingoo and Nanonote only support Framebuffer.

Speed should be ok, if you dont use image scaling every Frame (it's kinda slow) not too many Sprites and choose a good music track without too static much effects.

nLove (LÖVE) 0.7.0 updated!

->> see 1st Post

-Sound support added (Ogg, wav, xm, mod, s3m, ...)
-bugfixes
-new Game demo added

@jph_iterationGAMES: Sound support added (streaming mode seems to be a bit buggy, bug static is ok)

Really cool this engine, :) i like it.

Give me good feel for the old 8Bit games on Amiga/Atari

Hi SiENcE

I have found another bug. The coordinates I give to love.graphics.print (and probably printf as well) seem to be the upper left corner of the text when i run on my Caanoo, however, on my PC the coordinates specify the baseline of the font.

Maybe an oversight?

I compiled my Linux version from v0.7.0 sources from Love2D website.

/Uni

u9i said:
Hi SiENcE

I have found another bug. The coordinates I give to love.graphics.print (and probably printf as well) seem to be the upper left corner of the text when i run on my Caanoo, however, on my PC the coordinates specify the baseline of the font.

Maybe an oversight?

I compiled my Linux version from v0.7.0 sources from Love2D website.

/Uni

Mh yep. this was changed from 0.6.x -> 0.7.0

nLove is between this two version until bartbes merges the code. I think its better to build nLove for Linux and use this as Base.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a small game with this and noticed following issues:

- fonts are not tinted by love.graphics.setColor(), they remain white
- imagefonts are not in the right place
- most importantly: love.filesystem doesn't work. I always get the "could not set write directory" error.

Beside that I really like this. Throw some Open-GL ES in there and bump up the fps and this would be awesome!

Back