No Mess Or Atari 800 For Wiz ?

sonick

Still Fresh
Greetings all, I am a WIZ newbie, but fairly experienced with embedded linux systems and linux itself.

I play a lot of the old, emulated systems "IRL" such as the iie, trs-80, 2600, mame cab, and so on.

I plan to use the WIZ primarily as a game machine to bring my beloved retro systems on the road with me! I love my DS, but sometimes I want to go way back in time :)

Which brings me to something i noticed at dl.openhandhelds.org.

In the WIZ downloads section, the ATARI 800 , and MESS are totally missing! However, they are present in the "standard" gp2x system area.

Can I use the "standard" gp2x versions of ATARI 800 and MESS on the WIZ, in the meantime until architecture specific versions are released ? OR, am i stuck without ANY MESS or ATARI 800 on the WIZ at all ?

This is kind of a big deal to me, the MESS systems and the Atari 800 are some of my favorites. I need MESS for the TI-99/4a, the apple2ee, the colecovision and others. As for the atari 800, well, I suppose i could use mess OR "ATARI 800"

Sorry this is so long-winded. I hope someone knows what I'm getting at.

I want to use MESS and ATARI 800 on the WIZ, but the WIZ download section doesn't show these available yet. I'm assuming this will change in a few months.

In the meantime, can i use the older versions on teh WIZ ? If not, can I do anything else ?

Thanks for any help! My WIZ should be here in a week or so! I'm gathering the software right now so I am ready to dive in......

Kind Regards to everyone,
Jayson

Hello sonick,

I'm new to the scene here but I will answer your questions.

As of yet there is no Atari 800 or MESS emulation for the Wiz. This doesn't mean that it won't happen but it's not guaranteed either.

As I understand it, you definitely cannot use the GP2X emulators for the Wiz.

I'm with you on hoping for Atari 800 and Apple II emulation but thats all we can do as non-programmers. :)

In the mean-time enjoy all of the great emulators available including all of zx-81's excellent emulators that you will be happy includes the Atari 2600 and 7800 as well as the ColecoVision.

I will say I find it strange that if emulation of MESS and Atari 800 is "kind of a big deal" to you, that you would purchase a hand-held that does not have these emulators. Of course the potential is there but not when you bought it.

Anyway you'll love your Wiz for MAME alone.

Heya Crookedmouth,

Thanks so much for the reply.

You have a point regarding me buying a wiz if i'm simply going to gripe about lack of certain support. lol.

I suppose it is a big enough deal that I am VERY hopeful that support is coming very soon (and i'm sure it is), but not a big enough deal to intentionally buy outdated hardware.

Like you said, the mame by itself will be enough to keep me entertained until mess/800 shows up.

There are MANY more systems I'm excited about working with that i've already downloaded and have ready to go:

.2600, 7800, amstrad, genesis, nes, snes, vice, vectrex, amiga, spectrum, scumm, dosbox, picodrive, msx, colecovision, gameboy original, atari st and more!

So, it's not like I'll be terribly put off. BUT, I will be very excited for when they come out :) The 800 of course for all the awesome atari 8bit games, hell, star raides alone! MESS i'm primarily wanting for trs-80 stuff.

I just wanted to verify that the architectures were not sideways-compatible for the most part, and it's clear that they're not.

ANYWAY, Thanks so much for your imput, i really really appreciate you taking the time out to share info with me.

Peace!
Jayson

Back