No Sound From Vice 64

Website
Visit site
Hi everybody,

one of the first things I've tested with my newly arrived Pandora is Vice C64, in order to relive those golden days of 8-bit gaming.

Everything works well, with the exception of the fact that when I disable 'True Dive Emulation' in the menu, all games run with no sound at all.

When I reactivate the 'True Drive Emulation' sound comes back.

It is just my Pandora, or this is a common behavior (it doesn't seem to have been reported previously on the boards)?

How to solve it (I do not want to wait too long for my C64 fix :) ).

Thanks a lot.

Well, Vice deactivates the sound when it uses too much CPU power, this is what probably happens when enabled True Drive emulation.

You can go to the sound settings and re-enable the sound.

If it keeps going off then you either need to overclock or increase the sound buffer (it's in Vices sound settings).

EvilDragon said:
Well, Vice deactivates the sound when it uses too much CPU power, this is what probably happens when enabled True Drive emulation.

If it keeps going off then you either need to overclock or increase the sound buffer (it's in Vices sound settings).

Hi ED,

this is strange, because the sound comes off when 'True Drive emulation' is disabled.

I was thinking that disabling 'True Drive Emulation' will use less CPU power to load games, giving a lower grade of compatibility.

I'll try overclocking or increasing the buffer as you suggest.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
weirdocollector said:
EvilDragon said:

Hi ED,

this is strange, because the sound comes off when 'True Drive emulation' is disabled.

I was thinking that disabling 'True Drive Emulation' will use less CPU power to load games, giving a lower grade of compatibility.

I'll try overclocking or increasing the buffer as you suggest.

Thanks.

That's weird, but it might be related in a short peak of CPU usage when switching it off and Vice does disable the sound then.
Tried reenabling it afterwards? Should work.

Last edited:
authoreyes said:
Actually -

Did you turn off Warp Drive mode? I had the same issue - some games would work, but others seemed to play at a higher clip and disable sound.

That worked for me B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back