No Web Functionality

Shaun

I am not in a good mood. After visiting family I was finally able to connect with Wi-Fi. Sadly, the wait was for nothing. Frequently, Pidgin, Firefox and Chromium close with no explanation. I think the nubs are causing it but right now I'd have more fun castrating myself with a butter knife. When I click a link with the right nub it opens two tabs in new windows in Chromium. Clicking text boxes in Chromium, Firefox or Pidgin pastes weird-ass random text and numbers. The nubs work fine for music, VLC and emulators which is what I've been using up to now.

This is greatly disappointing as a primary reason I bought my Pandora was internet surfing and IM.

If your pressing down on the nub it opens a new window as thats the middle mouse button,

Have you tried Hotfix 5??

Edit, I'm glad your nubs are working fine for.. music?

I haven't tried Chromium, but I have used Firefox 4b10 and I don't notice the behaviors you mentioned. Can you reliably reproduce any of the crashes or bugs so we can test them?

It's natural that it will click in the "middle" a bit as I have to push down on it a little to move the nub left, to left click. There aren't really many steps to follow. I'll try again later and see if it is still a problem. (I'm sure it will be.) There's still no explaination for the text it pasted though.

As for the hotfix, I reflashed with the latest firmware which happens to have all hotfixes.

Mantis said:
There's still no explaination for the text it pasted though.
Did you happen to highlight any such text anywhere else? (I'm sure you know this, but I'll make a note of it just in case, but in Unix-based and Unix-like OSes, the middle mouse-button can be used for copying and pasting.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Mantis said:
Did you happen to highlight any such text anywhere else? (I'm sure you know this, but I'll make a note of it just in case, but in Unix-based and Unix-like OSes, the middle mouse-button can be used for copying and pasting.)

I believe I may have. Hmm. Could it be that it's right-clicking and pasting in what is seemingly one action? Something tells me my nubs are broken. I'll always find that word funny. Although sadly this situation is not!

Mantis said:
Prometheus said:
Mantis said:

I believe I may have. Hmm. Could it be that it's right-clicking and pasting in what is seemingly one action? Something tells me my nubs are broken. I'll always find that word funny. Although sadly this situation is not!

I have to admit that the browsing experience isn't the best with the Pandora. I usually take out my Android phone when I want to do some light mobile browsing. Thinking of either getting a Honeycomb Tablet or an iPad depending on a few things. I think I am also going to dump xfce soon. I don't really multitask all that much on the Pandora and as soon as I get my SD setup perfect I think I'll make the switch to full on minimenu soon and re-do all the icons.

However, my nubs aren't acting up like yours are.

As someone has already said it sounds like you've just got your right nub press set to the middle mouse button. If you middle click a link on your PC it will open up in a new tab just as it does on the pandora, and linux has the functionality that if you middle click on a text box it will paste the last thing you selected. So your nubs aren't broken, you're just middle clicking. You'll either have to re-assign your right nub press to the left click, or just use the left click instead (I'm not sure what this is assigned to)

A quick tip in regards to nub usage. I have a similar issue with random double clicks and wrong clicks and so on. I find holding the nub in place for a second helps with this, and works out better than double clicking also (right click, move over execute, release).

Thanks for your responses guys.

chris_r said:
As someone has already said it sounds like you've just got your right nub press set to the middle mouse button. If you middle click a link on your PC it will open up in a new tab just as it does on the pandora, and linux has the functionality that if you middle click on a text box it will paste the last thing you selected. So your nubs aren't broken, you're just middle clicking. You'll either have to re-assign your right nub press to the left click, or just use the left click instead (I'm not sure what this is assigned to)

It would probably be easier if I just assigned L to left-click and R to right-click. The right nub has only given me pure hassle. Regardless of whether I'm middle-clicking or whether they're broken, it shouldn't be this difficult to use them. That's probably one reason why they're giving Pandoras from the second batch better nubs. Speaking of which, a new issue has occurred which has rendered the Pandora pretty useless for many games (particularly N64), anyway. The left nub keeps getting stuck. So when I push it in a direction, normally it should move back to the centre when I let go or lower pressure. But it stays in place. Mario in Mario 64 will keep running in the direction last pressed, or sometimes the direction won't be quite the same as the direction I intended.

I know this is off-topic, but I felt it would be better to keep my issues in one thread. My Pandora still has warranty. I would hope if I'd send it back they'd give it batch two nubs which would hopefully fix these matters entirely. Has anyone had the issues described above before? How long will I typically have to wait from sending a Pandora to receive it back repaired? I am from the UK so I would be sending it to Craig.

Mantis said:
Speaking of which, a new issue has occurred which has rendered the Pandora pretty useless for many games (particularly N64), anyway. The left nub keeps getting stuck. So when I push it in a direction, normally it should move back to the centre when I let go or lower pressure. But it stays in place. Mario in Mario 64 will keep running in the direction last pressed, or sometimes the direction won't be quite the same as the direction I intended.
Does this occur when mousing as well?

I know this is off-topic, but I felt it would be better to keep my issues in one thread. My Pandora still has warranty. I would hope if I'd send it back they'd give it batch two nubs which would hopefully fix these matters entirely. Has anyone had the issues described above before? How long will I typically have to wait from sending a Pandora to receive it back repaired? I am from the UK so I would be sending it to Craig.
The new nubs are not for batch two - all new batch one units built in recent times have them also. How long it takes, I couldn't say - you'd be best to shoot them an e-mail about that.

As for whether anyone's had the issue described above before, that depends on whether it happens when mousing as well. If it does, it sounds like it may possibly be lethal-nub-death, which affected the old nubs.

Yes, it's with mouse usage as well. I'm certain it is the "lethal-nub-death" you describe. I'll drop them an e-mail.

Not exactly nub related but about browsing experience, like it or not, we just dont have a proper browser to use yet...
Firefox is working great but too bloated, Midori is lightweight but buggy and Chromium is buggy and bloated.

Just like you I am also falling back to my Android phone for quick mobile browsing.

Fennec, once stable, might be the Pandoras answer to proper browsing support...

For your Pidgin problem, its a known issue with the current Pidgin Build / PND, you can resolve it by going into the Pidgin Settings Window and to Notification Sounds... then just manually untick EVERY notification sound in there...

Just picking "Mute Sounds" in the Pidgin Menu won't fix the crashing, but disabling every single notification yourself does... Pidgin runs stable this way, and I can keep chatting for hours and hours.

Back