Nokia / Symbian Os On Gp2x

vaustein

Hi all,

I'm very close to buying a GP2X. I'm wavering because of temptation to buy a used Nokia N-Gage QD for its supported games. Although the GP2X is clearly a superior game deck, there are some NGage SIS games I'd like to play but cannot (e.g. Townsmen, Doom RPG). Is there any Symbian OS emulation support on the GP2X?

I hope this question won't be flamed or killed. Knowing I could play Nokia games on a GP2X would seal the deal.

Thanks in advance for any input!

vaustein posted on Feb 19 2006 at 09:45 AM said:
Hi all,

I'm very close to buying a GP2X. I'm wavering because of temptation to buy a used Nokia N-Gage QD for its supported games. Although the GP2X is clearly a superior game deck, there are some NGage SIS games I'd like to play but cannot (e.g. Townsmen, Doom RPG). Is there any Symbian OS emulation support on the GP2X?

I hope this question won't be flamed or killed. Knowing I could play Nokia games on a GP2X would seal the deal.

no.

Last edited by a moderator:
vaustein posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
Hi all,

Ahh... Doom RPG, that is one awesome game, i got that on my Moto Slvr right now!

i see no one has answered your question :huh: , so...

hmm, well if the psx emulator carrys on as it is, i see a happy future for it, so a couple of games for psx are on ngage, such as pandemonium :)

on the other hand, also the dos emulator could get better, and be able to run games such as pandemonium

at the current stage of the gp2x's progress, i'd say that if your wanting a better protable for graphics and not game play, then get a nokia ngage, but remember u also have to "BUY" ( god i know, a word we all hate when mentioned with games now days :p ) the games, unlike the gp2x, unless you can get emulators for it? i dunno, but i doubt theres as many as the 2x can handle!

so, if your looking for a machine that runs better graphics, then get nokia ngage, if your like most people on this forum, play games for the game play, then get a gp2x :)

or just get both :p ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I bought a Nokia N-Gage QD on eBay, brand new yet heavily discounted ($85).

I hate it.

So, a GP2X it is, just as soon as these promised changes to the firmware and joystick
and the new sourcing for NAND memory and LCDs occur. I'd hate to buy something rendered obsolete the next month.

Since most Linux's now support SMP, maybe GPH will soon add multiprocessing support distributed across the two ARM CPUs, thereby solving problems with SNES and GBA emulation and speeding up Doom, Quake, etc. Honestly, this is much higher priority than extending battery life, IMHO (I'M a HO).

An inducement: If the GP2X dev team adds SMP by the next hardware release, lapdances from Anna Hong all around!

(BTW: Anybody try to run Trackballs http://trackballs.sourceforge.net/ on GP2X?)

vaustein posted on Mar 12 2006 at 07:44 AM said:
Since most Linux's now support SMP, maybe GPH will soon add multiprocessing support distributed across the two ARM CPUs, thereby solving problems with SNES and GBA emulation and speeding up Doom, Quake, etc. Honestly, this is much higher priority than extending battery life, IMHO (I'M a HO).

Yes that would be excellent but I don't know if that would work because the second CPU has no MMU.

sand_man posted on Mar 13 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
vaustein posted on Mar 12 2006 at 07:44 AM said:
Since most Linux's now support SMP, maybe GPH will soon add multiprocessing support distributed across the two ARM CPUs
Yes that would be excellent but I don't know if that would work because the second CPU has no MMU.
That is exactly why it won't happen.

Do not get the N-gage QD just as a game system, you'll be dissapointed. However everyone has a cell phone these days, and as a cell phone the QD is GREAT. You need data service to fully enjoy the N-Gage anyhow (Pathway to Glory is one of the best games ive ever played on any system, and ive played a LOT of games). Not to mention the hundreds of games the thing plays, besides the N-Gage specific ones.
Again, get it as a phone, not -instead- of another game system.

Back