Non-emulation gaming?

dudebro17

Still Fresh
Is there a list of games that this thing will be able to run "natively"? As I understand it you wont even be able to run Steam on it, right?
Or should I stick with the GPD Win?

It's an ARM based CPU, so no x86 (ie, Steam) games are likely to run. There are a number of games which have open sourced their engines which can run.
Here's a list of games that are already in the Debian repository. You'll likely not have heard of most of them, but there should be more than a few you're familiar with.
Then there's the existing Pandora Repository. Most of these games will likely be made available for the Pyra as well, eventually, as the developers get their systems.

Now, not to get any hopes up, but there is an x86 emulator which has shown a lot of promise in running Steam and many (older) games available for it.

All that being said, if your chief interest is in playing Steam games then you are probably better off with a Win. It is cheaper and will have better compatibility for what you want, I'm sure. They Pyra has a different, though overlapping, feature set from the Win, so it's best to pick the device which matches what you really want to do.

thanks for the link Wiz... 0AD looks like a fine game. very age of empires but with some nice additions and capabilities..

Note that the Debian repository is not limited to GLES. Games like 0 A.D. that are directly depending on libgl1 are OpenGL only.

ohh.. well currently i have Debian Jessie on an ASUS netbook so i can learn my way around. 0ad should work on that but not a Pyra?
it still isnt as easy to get things done yet. i installed fritzing the other day and it took me ages to figure out how! but once installed it runs like a dream . i created 2 PCB's for a LM386 guitar amp and a single transistor pre amp.
Thats more than i have ever gotten out of linux in the last 10 times i tried it.... lol

Note that the Debian repository is not limited to GLES. Games like 0 A.D. that are directly depending on libgl1 are OpenGL only.

0ad should work on that but not a Pyra?
Well we have glshim that can handle some OpenGL 1.x to GLES translation. It's also open source so it could be converted to GLES if it hasn't already and ported.

It's an ARM based CPU, so no x86 (ie, Steam) games are likely to run. There are a number of games which have open sourced their engines which can run.
Here's a list of games that are already in the Debian repository. You'll likely not have heard of most of them, but there should be more than a few you're familiar with.
Then there's the existing Pandora Repository. Most of these games will likely be made available for the Pyra as well, eventually, as the developers get their systems.

Now, not to get any hopes up, but there is an x86 emulator which has shown a lot of promise in running Steam and many (older) games available for it.

All that being said, if your chief interest is in playing Steam games then you are probably better off with a Win. It is cheaper and will have better compatibility for what you want, I'm sure. They Pyra has a different, though overlapping, feature set from the Win, so it's best to pick the device which matches what you really want to do.

Thanks for the info!
I already own a Win and use it pretty much every day. However it has several flaws concerning build quality which makes the Pyra alluring in that regard. I especially like the fact that you will be able to easily switch batteries, and the keyboard will be better as well(the Wins lack of backlight on the keyboard is killing me).
I looked through the repository and actually some of my most played games on the Win seem to be available in some form on the Pandora(Duke Nukem 3D, Heroes of M&M 3, Quake). But I think I'll stick with Win for now though.

Back