Nvidia Shield Portable Fan here

Well - how do you think I could help you?
(BTW: The SoC used in the Shield was once planned to be used for the Pyra as well, but nvidia didn't want that)

I think there are a couple of ways. Do you know if Moonlight works with the OpenPandora or Pyra? That would provide an alternative.

Didn't you have a product at one time that was a Bluetooth controller that hooked up to a tablet? If that product is no longer available can you recommend another one?

Would you consider making a device like the Nvidia Shield Portable if there was enough interest?

Thank you for all that you do.

Mike

Isnt the Pyra a lot more as the Shield??
Whats the Shield??
Its a portable Gaming Device whit a Smartphone OS,
The Pyra also is a portable Gaming Device, but whit a real computer OS, and Keyboard..
Also Pyra is lot more pocketfriendly..

The Device you mentiened was the Icontrollpad, but it wasnt made by EvilDragon, but from Craigix, the EX Developer also from the Pandora bevore EvilDragon put the Pandora Produktion to Germany to save the Projekt..

I think he is making a device like the shield portable, it's just his take on the need and solution. Nvidia and dragonbox are light years apart in terms of scale of the companies.

Nvidia not making another portable and multiple tablets tells you that the portable didn't hit the number of sales they were hoping for and the cost of investment vs return wasn't as high as the multiple 2 device alternatives they offer.

The number of sales they got, is ED's company's scale, not nvidia's scale. They want to sell their SoC's in the hundreds of thousands scale. And tablets do that, open game handhelds do not.

I am a huge fan of the shield portable, think it's the best performing retro gaming handheld in existence. But I'm not delusional and recognize its a very niche use for why I like it.

No amount of arguing with nvidia is going to get them to reinvest in something that was shown not to meet expectations. I love me some shield portables, but your fighting a losing battle.

Didn't you have a product at one time that was a Bluetooth controller that hooked up to a tablet? If that product is no longer available can you recommend another one?
ED's shop stocks various controllers:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/89-game-controller

All of the 8bitdo controllers are bluetooth, and the hyperkin pixelart controller is USB (or you could adapt your PS1/PS2 controllers with his adaptor for those). I can vouch for the 8bitdo FC30 pro controllers myself - it's a great little controller, very comfortable in the hand, and all the buttons are responsive.

The Pandora running Android would presumably be more comparable to what the Shield was, if it was better kept up to date, perhaps. While the Pyra isn't a 100% certainty yet, and Android on the Pyra slightly less likely even, but if that comes to fruition, it'll do at least what the Shield did won't it? It won't necessarily be faster, especially if the 3d drivers problem isn't resolved satisfactorily, but it should still be supported at least.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood what is being asked here, I'm not 100% clear on that.

I think there are a couple of ways. Do you know if Moonlight works with the OpenPandora or Pyra? That would provide an alternative.
I believe I recall someone got Moonlight working but because it was decoding on the CPU it had terrible performance. The wifi isn't all that great either.
Someone did code up an alternative that seems to be giving some pretty good results.

@levi, I think he's asking for ED to make an alternative or better solution to nvidia's shield portable for game streaming, not specifically android, at least from what I'm taking from it. The problem being the alternatives in software are not as polished as nvidia's own grown application stack. For what it's doing specifically you probably need to use their hardware and software to reproduce the end device experience.

Sadly, unless ED partners with nvidia, I don't think we will get anywhere near the same experience for streaming. That new JXD singularity running tegra k1 might have a chance, but I doubt the integration goes that deep, but nvidia requires certain things from manufacturers using their SoC, so it's possible.

Best reproduction I've seem is steam streaming, I think if x86 module or emulator comes around for pyra, it might hit the same mark.

Back