Offical Blog: When In Panic, Fear Or Doubt ...

Qwertyuiop

ED posts a new update to the official blog-

When in panic, fear or doubt...

... run in circles, scream and shout!

Well, while the situation is not so bad, actually, it's pretty good, sometimes I do feel like doing so :)

As with most news posts, we have good and not so good news.

First, the good news:
The second revision sample cases have arrived quite a few days ago - and they're much better than the first ones.
Physically, they have fixed everything we wanted, it's much more easier to assemble, that's a huge success. From the usable viewpoint, it's good to go :)
The first silkscreen test also was decent. There are some misalignments, but it shows that it can be done. Also, for the final silk, we can use the official Bluetooth logo.

The Finishing also is much better, as can be clearly seen on the image below (I'll let you guess what's the old and what's the new one).

Craig did also test the hinge during the last days - meaning: Opening and closing it for about 1000 times - and not a single problem here. It still works nicely. Also, the PSUs we'll ship with the device are there and are quite sturdy. Now, let's come to the reason I want to run in circles, scream and shout sometimes...

The finished case (with the final finishing, the last cosmetic changes, etc.) should already have been shipped last week.
This is the eMail Michael just got yesterday:

"Dear Mr.Michael,

sorry, after i discussed with our technician and we found all of
modifications would be finished on Jan.15,2010.

We compared market products with our products last week and we need more EDM
working to make the same quality.

I have to inform you and so sorry for delay."

We got this eMail when the cases should've been shipped since a few days already... and this is not the first time, actually.
Now you know where such confusing deadlines come from - we actually get dates when something will be ready and tell you.. and after it should've happened, we get such mails.

Well, the good thing is: They're working hard on making it a high-quality product (no cheap stuff) and besides some cosmetic changes (mostly in the finishing and a bit in shrinking), the case is working nicely.

So, let's scream and shout together until the best cases in the whole world will arrive.

Thanks for reading - oh, and of course a happy new year to all of you guys :)

Edit: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

Hmm I almost would say "why not say go before this final preview, the factory says it will be 'the same quality' as other 'market products'" but I won't say that.

Excellent communication, thank you ED (and thank you Craig for posting the email up last night).

I'd say that we may as well wait now for this last tweak before the go, not that my opinion counts for anything. Another 9 or 10 days is nothing, if the factory can hit their deadline.

ED, if you would be so kind, can you confirm the current position with the boards, are they complete and just waiting for the cases as Craig mentioned in another thread? If so, are we at the point where we can switch another status page entry to green? Here's hoping.

THanks again for the informative update, nearly there guys and girls :)

Despellanion said:
It seems like the last couple of months there have been almost no good news. I kinda want my money back.

I disagree, I want my Pandora and I'm tired of waiting but there's been loads of good news. The OS is as good as there, the cases are almost there, the boards are almost there, the CE testing is done, the emulators and software are looking great, the hinge is perfect, the manual is being written etc. Just a little while longer while we wait for everything to come together. OP just need to keep the plates spinning a little while longer.

The only 'bad news' we've had has been based on what appears to be missed deadlines - but that is clearly down to the case manufacturer delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despellanion said:
It seems like the last couple of months there have been almost no good news. I kinda want my money back.

No good news like in "new cases" "os snippets" "everything works!"

Last months have been a wave of only good news imo with only 1 bit of bad news and that is delay.

The more we get the more we want, that's how humans work. There was a flood of videos recently but I'm starving for another myself, checking out the old ones from time to time.

Now before everyone starts bitching around the 15th. This is when the factory have completed the new samples, if we are very lucky they ship them to MW the same day. The 16th is a Saturday so I don't know how that affects things. Then we must wait for the cases to reach MW. If it's a go then MP in China should be completed before the end of January. Maybe assembly will start and maybe, maybe the first units will ship before the end of the month.

Keep it comin ED.

It was getting a bit mental (naming no names :blink: ), we needed a firm, calm hand.

Roll on the 15th.

I have no doubts the Pandora will be a high quality fantastic product!!

I agree there has been a bunch of good news lately also, but the bad ones seems to stack up faster. But I have confidence in the Pandora team.

SONY said:
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :pandora2ut4: B)
Spare me your snide comments, seems like that is all you do around here. I will probably get mine before you anyway.

This is great to hear. I can't wait to see all the videos of people with their Pandoras!

SONY said:
Lol, you'll never find out. :)
I am sure there will be a "Did you get your Pandora Yet?" thread so I think if you do get yours before him then you should post in a thread like that just to say HAHA you were wrong but I do agree with him that some of your post are negative but in a crazy way I agree with your post about the door. I would feel the same if I had money down to get a Pandora. I would probably be worst actually. I believe if you are going to jump ship now then you deserve to be flamed cause now would be the absolutely worst time.

Bosbeetle said:
Despellanion said:

No good news like in "new cases" "os snippets" "everything works!"

Last months have been a wave of only good news imo with only 1 bit of bad news and that is delay.
Honestly I don't believe its really been good news. Sure the Chinese company have provided us with cases that have failed the OP teams expectations but I hardly consider this something to be deemed as good news. "Yes more delays =]". I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really believe that this company has ever been completely honest with the OP team. Think about it, as if it takes over 160 days to create a decent case. I bet they hardly even work on this mould, but they like to recieve credit on how they are working extra long to make sure its right, and by the time it reaches the OP team, its instantly rejected.
I'll admit the software quality is good news but the fact that everything works is nothing really to celebrate considering thats what you would expect.
I think people are getting to lenient here and its like people have no expectations and would class anything as good news.

Back