Official Blog: Plastic Little

Qwertyuiop

As promised, here are some pictures of the final case (old and new ones), fresh from China, taking right before they shipped them to Michael.

This does mean, you'll see the first finished Pandora really soon, as Michael will be able to build it once the parts did arrive. Neat, eh? :)

phoca_thumb_m_fincase1.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_fincase2.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_mould1.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_mould2.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_mould3.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_mould4.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_base%20top.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_battery%20case%20topbtm.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_innerlid.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_sdcoverstylus.jpg
phoca_thumb_m_shldr%20leftright.jpg

If anybody does think those cases do look cheap: Yep, they do. But don't worry, they won't look like when the real mass production starts: The finishing is missing on those, as finishing test cases doesn't make much sense (it doesn't change the geometry and will just cost a bit more).

You could say we're just one tiny little step before the Pandora will finally be released from Vapourware state!

Stay tuned for more pictures!

http://www.openpando...temid=2&lang=en

:)

Mayhap my eye or my expectations are quite skewed, because as hard as I try, I cannot see that plastic as looking "cheap"

WizardStan said:
Mayhap my eye or my expectations are quite skewed, because as hard as I try, I cannot see that plastic as looking "cheap"
They told me that the parts require a finishing process after injection to give them the matte surface we want. Test parts don't get this treatment but I told them I wanted sample parts to look like they should during large scale production. Let's hope they did that before shipping but the swirls and scratches and greasy finish is certainly not the condition any customers will be getting their units in. Hells no! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:
WizardStan said:
They told me that the parts require a finishing process after injection to give them the matte surface we want. Test parts don't get this treatment but I told them I wanted sample parts to look like they should during large scale production. Let's hope they did that before shipping but the swirls and scratches and greasy finish is certainly not the condition any customers will be getting their units in. Hells no! ;)

You, sir, make me a very happy man.

Last edited by a moderator:
So where's DaveC anyway (apart from in the Wiz forum talking up that lovely OLED at every chance :p)? Being the guy who designed these parts, surely he's a little excited to see them become a reality.

Big shout out to Dave. We love your work.

The inside of the comlicated top_Part of the lower case is indeed "the money shot". :) Looks very durable.

EDIT: Hey, who edits my superb, oscar-winning Posts without my permission? :(
The Pic was from Wikipedia, so no worries - except you have problems with Titts in general. :lol:

Back