Ok, I gave in...

Is that not both more complicated, more longwinded, and more expensive than a second hand GBM on fleabay?

But more power to you if you actually manage to make something out of this!

Neat one too, but i prefer the micro form factor... Also, being not really familiar with linux, using a pi rather than another less mainline platform seems a better idea...

Neat one too, but i prefer the micro form factor... Also, being not really familiar with linux, using a pi rather than another less mainline platform seems a better idea...
That gamegirl does use a Pi Zero though

Yep, but for the one you linked, only the first prototype uses one, they plan to use something else after... They also mention using the C.H.I.P

WOW! That as an in depth project. I like it though, the challenge will make you appreciate it all the more. Far more functionality too!

Not sure it's a great project for a first almost all smd and a first 3d printing... I'm a bit afraid of the result but after several months I gave in... I'm weak...
Everything is ordered... For 3units beside the powerboost and pi which is i only have once... Min quantity for the pcb was 3 and the rest is cheap...

Yeah the SMD population is where I'd probably take a pass on it. I don't have the tools for that. I just finished a Pi Zero build I'm going to show off here in a couple days. It's not as nice as this project though.

I'm loving the plethora of single board computer projects right now. Its a cool time.

I hope so, the design is also only using 0805 and the pad are bigger to help manual soldering...

I am still scared of ruining something with surface mount. Holes make it a bit more difficult for me to mess things up. I guess when the time comes I will give it a shot.

Best of luck. Feel free to share your progress here. Real GBs, and the Pandora (and eventually Pyra) fulfill my needs, but making something like this would be a fun project.

Last edited:
Received all parts that don't have high delays... Now I'm just waiting for the pcb, lcd and cheap resistors/capacitor set...

My problem with the piboy zero (and most similar projects) is the microswitches or domes for the buttons. They never feel right, and microswitches are prone to breaking if you get a bit exuberant in your gaming.

That gamegirl 2 though... It has proper membrane buttons, L1/R1 on the back, and utilizes a CHIP, which I already have several of lying around. Depending on how this one plays out, I might give it a shot.

That's for sure true, but at least that one uses mouse switches and not the same usual 4pin el'cheapo switches most project seems to use...

As long as there are no BGA components, you don't need an oven or anything more than a soldering iron and solder with decent flux, I'm led to believe.

Yeah I've tried that. It's really not as fun as it sounds, IMO.

For a project as cool as this I think I'd just slog through, though.

Ok, some news... I finally received all, including a flux pen that I forgot at first, having never done smd by hand... Solders are far from stellar but all seems to be ok, no cold joints or shorts. So far I have only been able to test the soft power section (and the pi but that is expected to work...) as I don't have a SD card ready to test the screen or the audio out. I suspect I have neglected the software complexity too...

Ok, I was able to use the image for the pigrl zero from ladyada... I was able to boot and see the screen. But I wasn't able to progress further, I need a keyboard and I noticed one of the pcp-on-pcb contact failed. It's one of the D from the full size USB plug... Nothing too bad but as I don't have a usb otg adapter I am stuck at this point, I'll try to fix that and post pics tomorrow... Looking emulation station on such a small screen is great.. But upside down for the time being. That was quite expected, once I'll get a keyboard on I will need to find out how to fix that, lol

ok, USB in fixed, screen rotated:
piboy_zpsvzehqoqx.jpg

I'm afraid I might have placed the alps joystick in reverse, but I need to check.

I also think I will need to drop this retropie setup as it do not support wifi and bluetooth on the raspberry pi Zero W... and restart from a more modern raspbian and install all the pitft and retropie over it... seems not easy and long...

Back