old nub new nub

ShleeDragon

Pro-Catflip
What do we think of the current nubs? Are there other options?

psp1000joystick_MED.jpg

https://www.adafruit.com/products/444

2axisthumbstick_LRG_large.jpg

This design is friendier but the case won't be able to close as a clamshell.

http://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/kits/products/analog-2-axis-thumb-joystick-with-select-button-breakout-board

Last edited by a moderator:
Current nubs are fine IMO but a rubber coating would be nice for added grip. Something along the lines of the 3ds nub would be awesome.

I thought the Pandora ones do include the controller?

Could something be put over them now?....Like a very thin rubber membrane?

Please no condom jokes.

The, supposedly, p2 nub I laid my finger on doubles as a button, you can push it down a bit and it clicks nicely.

The inner workings are magnetic, looks like it centers itself perfectly once you let go of it. There should be no more calibration issues with this kind.

Moving the nub around feels smoother compared to the ones on my unit.

Pretty much looks the same as the current ones, so concave surface again.

The, supposedly, p2 nub I laid my finger on doubles as a button, you can push it down a bit and it clicks nicely.

The inner workings are magnetic, looks like it centers itself perfectly once you let go of it. There should be no more calibration issues with this kind.

What? you have seen p2 nubs?

I've never been a fan of clicky analogues. I often end up clicking them when I go to the extremes, so if you ever play against someone in an FPS who appears to be attempting to russian dance, that's probably me.

Still, probably not as much of a problem with sliding nubs, as the axis you grip it by and the axis you click it by don't vary as much on as they do on a stick that rotates.

Still, P2 teasers? Cooool!

What? you have seen p2 nubs?
Well... he visited me a while ago and I had samples here...

I've never been a fan of clicky analogues. I often end up clicking them when I go to the extremes, so if you ever play against someone in an FPS who appears to be attempting to russian dance, that's probably me
Well, they only click if you push them down centered, so that wouldn't be a deal.

Nice for mouse buttons though. Move them where you like and push.
Only dragging around won't work (well, except for if you use the right nub for the left mouse button and the left to mmove around)

A clicky mouse button is a requirement if you ever expect to  emulate the PS2.

The current nubs are NOT fine. They are incredibly inconsistent. The auto calibration is continually "fixing" its adjustments so you never know how far you need to move it to get the result you want. Worse, my left nub is always very slow moving diagonally up & right. No amount of fiddling has ever gotten the calibration algorithm to fix this.

Never liked the whole convex-sandpaper PSP nub thing, it was also to far down the unit to use the Left shoulder. Anyway, DS nub is an absolute dream to use, I personally certainly want a  concave rubber nub. As for clicky nubs, as long as they are heavily stress tested not to collapse/become too easy to click, I'm more than for it. I'd also like psp style replaceable cover, although I'm not sure how that would work with a clickable nub.

It sounds like ED already has a good idea of where he is going with the nubs, but I thought I'd throw this idea into the mix anyway.

Virtual nubs.

To visualize this - take a 3cm round (or square even) touch pad.  Raise the center by 2mm - make the whole thing a 3D parabola - creating a 3cm diameter, 2mm tall hill.

The absolute position/location of your thumb's contact with the hill gets translated to the X,Y location that analog games would expect.  Dead center on the top of the hill is 0/0 - which gets registered if you lift your thumb off.

Of course a Pandora successor would need two of these 'analog hills'.

What is the advantage?  No moving parts.

Disadvantage is tactile feedback - which isn't completely gone as your thumb runs around/over the hill describing an arc much like you would expect using a 'nub'.  Adding a slight texture to the touch pads might be good too.

Oh, also - whether you use a mechanical nub or my crazy idea above, be sure to consider giving them a socket based interface to the motherboard so they're easily replaceable?

Not quite what I had in mind - but close.  From the pictures the Sony device is flat with an indent in the center.  I think the climb over the 'hill' of the ones I imagined would lead to better 'feel'.

Still - it just proves that everything has already been invented.  :)

It might be a placebo but the nubs using the default settings on the .next firmware is great for me.

Whatever nubs P2 ends up using, I want these nubs to help me shoot my enemies in the head with one shot in games like RTCW, Open Arena, Q3A, etc., because right now I'm the one who got shot in the head with one shot by the bad guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like the nubs on the Nvidia Shield.  They work great.

Back