Olimex - Open Source Laptop (TERES)

ible

professional vim user
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2017/0...software-hackers-friendly-laptop-is-complete/
  • Quad Core Allwinner A64 64-bit Cortex-A53 processor
  • LCD 11.6" 1366x768 pixels1GB DDR3L memory
  • 4GB eMMC Flash
  • WiFi 150Mb, BLE 4.0
  • Camera
  • Battery 7000mAh
  • Weight 980 gr
(from https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY Laptop/KITS/TERES-A64-BLACK/open-source-hardware)

the biggest thing i wanted to mention was that this keyboard is a normal layout:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY Laptop/SPARE PARTS/TERES-006-Keyboard/
sometimes people put "Insert" right above backspace, and it bugs me that "Delete" is further away (when insert is less used, at least for me).

though of course, the name of the laptop is a bit odd.

So, that GPU isn't looking to have good open source support (lima project looks dead). I haven't looked to see what BT and wifi they're using, if any. In terms of the raw hardware, I'd like an extra SD slot (or an internal eMMC depending on how you spin it).

Also, FWIW, I'm not keen on bits being sticky tapes on, especially the battery. Or the four rubber feet covering the access screws - why do that if you're intending to let users in and out?

For an inroad on freedom for price, it gives more options.

What I would want, is something other than 1366x768, and a form-factor that fits the keyboard and screen size.

I think an e-ink display, even if only black and white, would strengthen the proposal of what this is.

I wish all these modular hacker friendly devices would get together. It could really help them all out if things were interchangeable (use the old SoC from one in another). I understand why some are done as they are (save time and cost in the long run in the case of the Pyra), and I am not familiar enough with this yet to see what is going on or why. A de facto standard could become an official industry standard. I am probably oversimplifying this stuff in my head.
[doublepost=1486397301,1486396843][/doublepost]
though of course, the name of the laptop is a bit odd.
It means "rounded" and a well rounded computer seems like a good thing to me. Then again, maybe they just thought people might find it (near the) humerus.;)

Not sure I like how they rename everything as open source when there's still lots of closed source things inside...

Include only 2 USB ports (afaik the A64 doesn't support more), a fixed battery and crippled cursors and all of a sudden a crappy display, 1GB of RAM and the lack of internal storage doesn't look all that relevant anymore. ;)

Shame they don't seem to have any cooling on that CPU, or even anything connecting it to the keyboard assembly. But bonus points for having a genuine cartoon tux home button on the keyboard, and not a sticker over the top like other linux computer companies I've seen.

But eMMC is too small and i can not recognize any connection for internal sata or m.2. The sd card slot is nice, but not a replacement for internal storage. With bigger internal memory, this was an interesting piece of hardware for home automation or point of view stations and also as netbook replacement :)

Thomas

I wish GPD would do the same sort of thing with the Pocket, as is with the TERES 1 - i.e. put all the design files on a repo somewhere. That'd pretty much kick ass.

I imagine one day upgrading the Pocket with a replacement board. Wouldn't that be neat fellas!

Back