Open Source Game Engines...

Octavious

Programer Guru! ...in the making
Website
www.retroportables.4x2.net
well, I was wondering today, what type of game engines ( FPS ) are open source?
I know DOOM 1-2 , and Quake 1 are, and can someone confirm Quake3 going OpenSource?
Just wondering what others there are like is Quake 2 open source, or Unreal 1 ??
I was watching AVP today and I have the sudden urge ( even though Im working on Halflife ) to make a Alien vs Predator mod for something
I dont think it could be done in Quake, so I was wondering what other low end engine ( Quake 3 and down ) are out there, maybe for a differant system ( hint , GP's next device, whatever or whenever it may be... )

thx

~Octavious

Just go with a doom II WAD for your project. That would be good enough if the art was done well.

well, I am going 3d, and once I either finisg Half Life, or give up lol, I am gonna work on an alien based AVP game
unless there are legal problems...

~Octavious

can someone explain to me "legal problems"......if a company has no plans to release anything on a particular platform how can there be legal problems? there is no money lost because there is no potential to earn money. The way I see it is if the company has no interest in investing in the platform then they have no recourse as they lose no money if none is invested.

B) wildo2ne

FOx shut down aliens Quake
which, let me tell you, was the worst thing I have ever seen
the models sucked giant donkey cock
the whole mod sucked, models, levels, grfx, u name it
The sound was also just recoded straight from the Aliens VHS tape
And yet, Fox shut them down
why? for such a piece of shit none the less
there is no way someone would have payed money for that

I hope that they shut them down because of the audio only....

~Octavious

But yet there are Star Wars doom wads out there and there hasn't been any legal problem with those.

Hey !!
Just dl'd the source code for Quake 2
requirements for that game are...
90mhz procesor ( 133 perferd )
16 megs ram
600k transfer speed on the " HDD" acting device
25-60 megs of open space for the game

Do you think that this could run on the gp with no sounds and low ass frame-rate as sort of a tech demo?

and, what handhelds right now could play this? could the zodiac do it?
please, dont give me any anti Z shit, I aint gonna buy one for atleast a year anways.. I am just curious ( and I love my GP more anyways )

~Octavious

edit
just read up on the '04 E3 , and the VIA EVE made an appearance there, forgot about that baby
Running Microsoft Windows® XP Embedded, the Eve Mobile Gaming Console integrates a 533MHz VIA Eden-N processor supporting SSE and MMX, 128MB DDR266 SDRAM, a 20GB hard drive, and a 4” built-in LCD monitor supporting resolutions of up to 640x480. For advanced 2D/3D graphics performance, the Eve Mobile Gaming Console integrates the S3 Graphics UniChrome Pro IGP featuring a 200MHz clock that can drive a pixel rate of up to 200 million pixels per second with two textures each. The graphics engine also features support for Z-bias, anti-aliasing, alpha blending, Microsoft DirectX 7/8/9, and OpenGL™.

anyways, do yall think the GP could handle Quake 2?

The question isn't "will it run?" it is "will it be playable?". In theory, you could make anything run, but that doesn't mean it will run at an acceptable speed.

Octavious posted on Feb 6 2005 at 05:13 AM said:
FOx shut down aliens Quake
which, let me tell you, was the worst thing I have ever seen
the models sucked giant donkey cock
the whole mod sucked, models, levels, grfx, u name it
The sound was also just recoded straight from the Aliens VHS tape
And yet, Fox shut them down
why? for such a piece of shit none the less
there is no way someone would have payed money for that

I hope that they shut them down because of the audio only....

~Octavious

You're basing that on seeing a mod that was made AGES ago, when work like that, models, lvls, ripped audio, artwork etc, was pretty much the norm at the time because of the speed of everyones pcs, of course it looks bollocks now. It was good at the time though because there was bugger all else aliens wise, which is why fox banned it. And no one payed money for it anyway it was free. So simply calling it "a piece of shit" because it doesn't look appealing to you is pretty short sighted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the first version of Quake we had that run at like 1 frame/second? Well, I think it'll be slower than that. Why? Simply because we can't emulate floating point operations at anywhere near 90Mhz. The PC at 90Mhz has floating point in hardware. We 'emulate' floating point using software.

If all the floating point was converted to fixed point, then we would stand a chance.

Also, think of the Zodiac as a 200Mhz GP32. It's got no floating point hardware, no 3D hardware, and a 2D graphic accelerator which is useless most of the time, and can actually slow you down for ports and emus as you have to upload each graphic frame to it for display.

What I'd recommend: Wait until PocketQuake2 comes out at a decent speed and port that :)

Octavious posted on Feb 6 2005 at 07:02 AM said:
Hey !!
Just dl'd the source code for Quake 2
requirements for that game are...
90mhz procesor ( 133 perferd )
16 megs ram
600k transfer speed on the " HDD" acting device
25-60 megs of open space for the game

Do you think that this could run on the gp with no sounds and low ass frame-rate as sort of a tech demo?

and, what handhelds right now could play this? could the zodiac do it?
please, dont give me any anti Z shit, I aint gonna buy one for atleast a year anways.. I am just curious ( and I love my GP more anyways )

damn it
I can't wait for a next gen handheld that could have games like these ported to it
great for playing, better for modding

well, back to Half Life I guess.....

~Octavious

EDIT
ok, well, how hard would it be to put Quake 2 on the GP??
and, how does one go about converting floating point to fixed point?
I signed up over the week for an associates degree on " Video Game Physics and Design "
I have to take like 3 physics classses, an ASM class, C++ class, Basic class, 3D Studio Max+s class, mapping classes, and more
do you think when I finish the entire degree, I will be able to change from floating to fixed?
how would I go about doing this?

Squidge posted on Feb 6 2005 at 12:17 PM said:
Remember the first version of Quake we had that run at like 1 frame/second? Well, I think it'll be slower than that. Why? Simply because we can't emulate floating point operations at anywhere near 90Mhz. The PC at 90Mhz has floating point in hardware. We 'emulate' floating point using software.
That sucks, but why can't/doesn't the gp32 cpu use floating point?
What have you/they changed in the code to make it so much faster?

Enslaved posted on Feb 6 2005 at 07:10 PM said:
Well if the PSP eventually gets a way of making homebrew then there will be ports of all of these things.

Big *IF* though.

aapje89 posted on Feb 6 2005 at 07:56 PM said:
That sucks, but why can't/doesn't the gp32 cpu use floating point?
What have you/they changed in the code to make it so much faster?

The gp32 cpu does not contain a floating point unit, only an integer unit. So everything done in floating point needs to be emulated using integer calculations, which takes a lot of processing time. If you don't mind losing some precision, you can convert all of the codes normal floating point into fixed point which is much easier for an integer-only processor to handle, and so therefore much faster.

Is that why 3D is so twitchy on the GBA, Playstation etc.? Because they don't do floating point, only integer calculations?

Back