Opening a real Pandora + iCP + Product 3 shop.

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
Hi.

I'm seriously thinking about opening a real OP shop.

I can do this in Paris, but taking into account all time and money investments, it sounds more profitable to open it in Munich.

France is a lazy country that sucks small companies resources and salaries through vampiric taxes.

Munich, because it's more convenient regarding the production site, and also because i enjoyed my trip and what i saw there.

I think work is more valuable in Germany. Plus the fact that germans like to buy made in Germany products.

I'm confident this will be a success, otherwise i'd stay here, watching my beloved country sinking like Greece or Spain.

I don't speak german ^^, but i doubt learning it is an impossible task for a motivated zealot :^). And also my english is fluent, even if my accent is average and i lack vocabulary.

I have experience in selling. I used to be a telemarketer a long time ago, and i worked in some shops too.

And i also like what i plan to sell, and this is the most important. I had success during the Ingolstadt days.

So it would be Pandora + iCP + Product 3 shop. I'd add some stuff like SD cards, hubs, pico projectors, bt mice... Everything OP-related.

I also think about selling thinkpad laptops with openSUSE Linux (not a fan, but again, made in Germany).

I already spotted where to put this shop. May be a bit expensive, but it's nonsense to open a shop where there's no potential customers.

First, i would like to hear what OP team think about it.

And of course the OP community opinions, thoughts, ideas.

Sounds really awesome, but since the products from OP all serve very niche markets you really have to do something special with the store. You need to think of something that will attract a small crowed and spread the word or the store will just be very empty. From what I've heard its quite difficult to make money off of selling the Pandora's since the profit margin is small right now, that would be a bigger problem with an actual store.

The niche is due to the lack of big marketing. All delays also flawed the spread.

I see people's reactions when i use in. They are very interested.

I was in a friend's taxiphone some monthes ago, and stayed only 3 hours. I could have sell two OP if i had them. One were a girl who said to her boyfriend "i want it". And it was no joke.

Yup, the margin is small. That's why i need to sell accessories.

I believe mass production, and price drops in components, and other factors may lead to lower costs.

Maybe wait a bit (while learning German) for:

• A nice, stable OS with working power management, bluetooth
  • Clean iCP/Pandora/product3 integration
  • A smooth package-manager / launcher system
  • TV-out cables

Need to ensure that when people have a look at this new, independent electronics shop, they come away impressed.

Would it be possible to stock enough other electronics/etc that people will visit it for other things and notice the Pandoras on display then?

Maybe a old game disk/cart exchange? Spare parts for old consoles? Distribute Linux disks? Operate as a Linux help-centre?

Maybe a old game disk/cart exchange? Spare parts for old consoles?
If this is a viable thing to do, perhaps old game exchange/sales could be placed alongside selling Retrode 2 units for the Pandora? Having a demo unit hooked up to a Retrode 2 could possibly be a neat technology showcase...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this idea, to touch on what Darkknight512 said about getting people spreading the word;

how about holding regular little retro game competitions in the shop, used to have an indie shop that was popular and had regular crowd with other little groups coming some of the times, wasn't competitions there but had a range of old consoles and computers out to play on.. I bought a number of games just off seeing others play it there then having a go myself. But ultimately it was a nice place to hang out a couple hours and chat with knowledgeable heads about new games.

Like how the best record shops are those that hold in-store open mics or dj sets

If I visit Munich I'll check back for the address

If this is a viable thing to do, perhaps old game exchange/sales could be placed alongside selling Retrode 2 units for the Pandora? Having a demo unit hooked up to a Retrode 2 could possibly be a neat technology showcase...
Wouldn't you want a CD/DVD drive too?

I'd not count on Pandora sales making you enough to pay the rent on a high street location. Let alone food on the table for you too. Which doesn't mean you can't give the Pandora and all the tidbits surrounding it a very special place in your shop and a lot of love but you'll need more stuff to sell to keep you afloat.

Having people hanging around in your shop all day playing retro games certainly is a very cool idea but will it bring you the money to keep your head above water?

Look at the crap high street bookshops are selling nowadays to make the most revenue out of their m2. And look at a petrolstation doing the same.

So I'd look for a concept that earns you a decent living and if you can fit the Pandora into that, great! If not, don't turn a hobby into a painfull profession.

For quick calculations take the rent you think it will cost, add costs for permits, insurance, electricity, repairs etc etc and then add what you think you need in profit a month to live on, your insurances, reservations for pension, disability, volcanoes etc etc. Do that amount times 1,5 and you'll be close to what the true number is you need.

Then see how many Pandoras you have to sell to have that amount in profit. Is the production even high enough?

Don't want to knock your idea as there are plenty of ways you could open a shop and integrate Pandora in it, but I think that Pandora as the main item on sale is setting yourself up for a loss.

I love this idea... but I think you'll have your work cut out for you.

Do you have enough capital to set the place up and keep it alive until the store picks up momentum? - perhaps even a year before you see real profits?

Do you have a secondary source of income to maintain cashflow?

Prepared to work 7 days a week?

If you pull this off I would be thrilled, and I think it would be a massive boon to the success of the Pandora. You would pretty much guarentee the P2 and then P3 (provided you went from strength to strength and one or more of the big boys didn't get nervous and decide to crush us).

Running a geeky computer/electronics/retrogaming/linux shop is probably more profitable than a pandora/iCP/product3 shop

yes selling boxed linux distros.. or other open-source products.. like Flightgear+scenery files... etc.

I would consider opening such a shop myself if I had a friend who'd be interested to work along with me.. don't like the idea of going solo. :(

Han Solo shot first ^^.

Ok, bad quote.

Keep it up with the responses to this thread. It's interesting for me, and for everyone that think that a Linux shop is a good idea.

I have some replies, but i have to go to sleep now, 3:48 AM here ^^.

I'd not count on Pandora sales making you enough to pay the rent on a high street location. Let alone food on the table for you too. Which doesn't mean you can't give the Pandora and all the tidbits surrounding it a very special place in your shop and a lot of love but you'll need more stuff to sell to keep you afloat.

Having people hanging around in your shop all day playing retro games certainly is a very cool idea but will it bring you the money to keep your head above water?

Look at the crap high street bookshops are selling nowadays to make the most revenue out of their m2. And look at a petrolstation doing the same.

So I'd look for a concept that earns you a decent living and if you can fit the Pandora into that, great! If not, don't turn a hobby into a painfull profession.

For quick calculations take the rent you think it will cost, add costs for permits, insurance, electricity, repairs etc etc and then add what you think you need in profit a month to live on, your insurances, reservations for pension, disability, volcanoes etc etc. Do that amount times 1,5 and you'll be close to what the true number is you need.

Then see how many Pandoras you have to sell to have that amount in profit. Is the production even high enough?

Don't want to knock your idea as there are plenty of ways you could open a shop and integrate Pandora in it, but I think that Pandora as the main item on sale is setting yourself up for a loss.

My thoughts exactly. I really can't see a physical store whose primary business was selling Pandora / ICP being able to survive (even with a few related accessories on sale). Integrating Pandora sales in with a larger overall business would be the more viable option.

Despite you having some people showing interest in the Pandora, it still really is a VERY niche market. I think you would need to incorporate another of your related interests into the business for it to be viable. That could be Linux related or retro gaming perhaps? Realistically even those would be considered niche, but at least you wouldn't have all of your eggs in the one basket as they say.

Maybe wait a bit (while learning German) for:

• A nice, stable OS with working power management, bluetooth
  • Clean iCP/Pandora/product3 integration
  • A smooth package-manager / launcher system
  • TV-out cables

Need to ensure that when people have a look at this new, independent electronics shop, they come away impressed.

Would it be possible to stock enough other electronics/etc that people will visit it for other things and notice the Pandoras on display then?

Maybe a old game disk/cart exchange? Spare parts for old consoles? Distribute Linux disks? Operate as a Linux help-centre?
I prefer act first and talk (german ^^) after.

I will be clear with the customers: i don't sell dumb devices, so it's up to them to update etc. Of course, i'll be happy with a better OS.

Yeah, may be a strategy. I intend to put a big Tux clearly visible from the outside.

Spare part is too much time-consuming. Also help center.

Thought about it, but it's also time-consuming. And i see the retro shop here in Paris, it takes to much space and does not sell enough. Better do this online.

I like this idea, to touch on what Darkknight512 said about getting people spreading the word;

how about holding regular little retro game competitions in the shop, used to have an indie shop that was popular and had regular crowd with other little groups coming some of the times, wasn't competitions there but had a range of old consoles and computers out to play on.. I bought a number of games just off seeing others play it there then having a go myself. But ultimately it was a nice place to hang out a couple hours and chat with knowledgeable heads about new games.

Like how the best record shops are those that hold in-store open mics or dj sets

If I visit Munich I'll check back for the address
Competitions/events is a good idea. But i don't want to be squatted by non-customers ^^.

You'll be welcome if this idea comes to reality.

Yup, i know it may be tough if all isn't properly calculated.

However, i have great expectations according to my "study" here in Germany.

I love this idea... but I think you'll have your work cut out for you.

Do you have enough capital to set the place up and keep it alive until the store picks up momentum? - perhaps even a year before you see real profits?

Do you have a secondary source of income to maintain cashflow?

Prepared to work 7 days a week?

If you pull this off I would be thrilled, and I think it would be a massive boon to the success of the Pandora. You would pretty much guarentee the P2 and then P3 (provided you went from strength to strength and one or more of the big boys didn't get nervous and decide to crush us).
I think i can get enough money to start the biz. Working 7/24 is a thing i can do when motivated. When i learned Slackware, 10+ years ago, i slept once every two day during almost one year ^^. And when i was a pro musician, at some point i practiced 12h per day. Motivation is my fuel.

Big companies are actually busy destroying each other. I'm fine with it.

Running a geeky computer/electronics/retrogaming/linux shop is probably more profitable than a pandora/iCP/product3 shop
Not too much stuff. I want to avoid losing time with tiny things. The killer item is the OP.

yes selling boxed linux distros.. or other open-source products.. like Flightgear+scenery files... etc.

I would consider opening such a shop myself if I had a friend who'd be interested to work along with me.. don't like the idea of going solo. :(
Indeed, some boxed linux may be interesting. But Linux changes versions, so i don't want to lose money.

My thoughts exactly. I really can't see a physical store whose primary business was selling Pandora / ICP being able to survive (even with a few related accessories on sale). Integrating Pandora sales in with a larger overall business would be the more viable option.

Despite you having some people showing interest in the Pandora, it still really is a VERY niche market. I think you would need to incorporate another of your related interests into the business for it to be viable. That could be Linux related or retro gaming perhaps? Realistically even those would be considered niche, but at least you wouldn't have all of your eggs in the one basket as they say.
I have the best Linux server (or whatever) up and running: Slackware.

I plan to sell service with the Pandora.

Two small french companies actually contacted me to work together to sell packages like OP+webserver+ftp. With 1 watt power consumption, no heat, no space, and an integrated 10 to 450 hours rescue battery, it's a piece of cake to convince customers. Especially when you can make a real demo.

I also think about clustering. I can do a redundant OP array, using bluetooth as a rescue network if a failure occurs. As a sysadmin, i have that kind of competences. I just need time.

This is all sounding great, but do you have an alternative reliable means of making money that you can do while you are getting this off the ground?

I for instance have 3 sources of income - 2 of which overlap slightly and can feed each other. 1 unrelated but that encourages skills that can be put to use in both other option... All 3 of these I do because my dream is to support myself solely from option 4, which at present doesn't make me a cent, and which I hardly have any time for (still too focused on building up capital and purchasing the equipment I'll need). When I start on option 4 I'll still be investing my time in the first 3 options but will slowly phase them out as option 4 picks up momentum...

Sounds cool to have plans like that.

Indeed, if i'm a newcomer in Germany, i can only backup working in bars, or a french/computer/guitar teacher.

In the very worst case, i can rent my body to rich and pretty women ^^.

Back