OpenPandora+Android?

there was a video of it running on the pandora (development only) so it is possible but who ever did it didn't release a pnd or documentation. i'm waiting too because it would be nice to run android games from time to time.

official support probably wont ever happen. but it is possible to compile and run android on the pandora (unless your an experienced programmer, i wouldnt recommend you to try it out yet tho :p ). its far from usable last i saw.

Hmmmmm... What OS can Pandora run? 'cause AFAIK, Linux require a lot of time and good programming skills.

Hmmmmm... What OS can Pandora run? 'cause AFAIK, Linux require a lot of time and good programming skills.

hum, no...

it is probably easier to use the widespreaded pandora OS than installing a custom/not officialed android...

by the way, was that a serious question or a try to ignite a flamewar?

any experimental os require a lot of time and good programming skills.

only difference really, is that end user dont usually see the experimental versions of windows, (before its actually out , when there is basicly no drivers, no support)

linux, well, you can quite litterally make your own os, so its pretty much always experimental, but if you stay close to mainstream, then its usually usable for non dev.

There was a lot of effort made on the interface, like minimenu and the PND system. Sure you'll have to follow some guide from time to time if you want to use the emulators, but Pandora's not like a command line only system with a lot of complex things to know before using it. You have the pandora, you have an sdcard, then you can use a PND program.

Check out the video made by evil dragon they watch a lot of useful things about the interface.

Is it possible to run Android with OpenPandora?
Yes. Someone with both the programming skill and the interest will have to do it, because it isn't an easy task. That's the problem though: no one that could do it is interested, and the only people that seem interested can only ask others to do it for them. :S

i would love to see android on pandora but the biggest thing is the pandora doesnt have multitouch and most games/apps on a droid require it. And android is based off a linux kernel and can be ran on an arm processor because it runs perfectly on a beagle board.

I think we should move to Android, but I know I'm in the minority.
I don't have a problem with the ability to run Android software too... I don't think we should out-right swap OS.

Choice is key here... I think the ideal would be some sort of Android layer that lets you run Android directly alongside ARM linux apps... I can dream right?

I think we should dual-boot Android/Pandora OS.

Though, to be brutally honest, I'd rather see the work go into DS emulation ;)

So far we don't have the momentum for a shift; we've got like 3 or 4 people working on the firmware in spare time (and I'll soon be wiped out by having babies :) ; get units shipped, more devs will show up (say, 1 for every 1000 shipped if we're lucky) and maybe something will happen.

Do note for 'droid its more complicated than you think; there is 'bare Android', and then there is the Android versions you see on peoples handsets, which is pretty different; you want google maps, google mail, etc .. those are licensed. Theres parts of the pandora firmware we don't have easy access to since we're not licensing anything.. with Android, you're losing key components right out (no app store, no maps!), etc.

Its lots of work ..

And please, someone step forward; the more OSes, the more devs, tyhe more projects, the more hacks, the better; we need more blood, as we've all been saying for years. This is a community tradition (gp32x and others) of hacking, solving for yourself; this is a hacker device. It just needs momentum!

This is a 'community' styled device, which means its up to the communityh to carry the flag; the few of us doing it so far can only carry it so far. (And we are fortuante to have mcobit, Wiz Stan, and so on putting time in when they can; and sebt3 and ivanovic signing up to carry the sdk/libpnd flag when I'm not around, and so on. But in total, we have less than 10 people who've ever committed a patch!)

jeff

(Craig, you still owe $500 to sebt3 for spotify; we all try to do what we can for free, but if you're going to wave $$ around, you'd better come out with it.)

Bounty!!!
see this :

Craig, you still owe $500 to sebt3 for spotify; we all try to do what we can for free, but if you're going to wave $ around, you'd better come out with it.
btw that's 400$ ;)

but yeah, none of us is against android, we just need more blood for that. We already dont have enough of it to maintain the current OS, let alone an other one.

Many ports requests are still waiting for a porter. All the currents dev are pumping out these as fast as they can. There is an awesome collaboration to be found on irc.

yet we are only a handfull... need more blood badly

I think we should move to Android, but I know I'm in the minority.
I don't have a problem with the ability to run Android software too... I don't think we should out-right swap OS.

Choice is key here... I think the ideal would be some sort of Android layer that lets you run Android directly alongside ARM linux apps... I can dream right?

Indeed, this is the approach I would like. Take just the application layer and port that, so that we still have complete freedom to develop the rest of the OS as we like, but the people who want to run Android apps are happy too. This has been done (see Myriad Alien Dalvik), but it doesn't look like the fruits of that work are being given away for free.

I prefer the current approach of running a typical Linux userspace instead of Android, because that is what makes it really easy for people to port applications like Evince, Gnumeric, and Xournal to the Pandora's OS, and it gives application developers the freedom to use whatever language they feel like without having the negotiate with something like the NDK. I don't know though, maybe the NDK is super easy, but I like not having to worry about it.

I think android would be worth it if the controls were automatically compatible with the icontrolpads so any icp android apps could be used right away.

Back