Openpandora Usb Game Controller?

Grench

Forum Addict!
From the posts made by people who have a beta MP Pandora - it sounds like the nubs might be the best analog controllers on the market.

I'm in the process of trying to find a pair of hand held game controllers for my kids - age 8 - to use with their Ubuntu Linux computers for playing Tux Kart etc... and the thought came to me... Why not an OpenPandora USB game controller pad?

My thought is for a game controller pad with keypad - essentially the whole control system of the OpenPandora console without motherboard or display and set up to connect with a USB plug. An alternate version that runs as a bluetooth device might be cool too.

I did see the prototype pictures that Craig & co had posted up of the nubs being used with an iPod.

Any thoughts of making a stand alone controller that can be used with or without an OpenPandora console?

Since the above OpenPandora stand alone game controller does not exist - yet - does anyone have a suggestion on what I should get my kids so they can drive Tux Kart with something other than tapping on the keyboard?

Thanks!

Thinking that the analog nubs on the Pandora will be the best analog controls available is really jumping to conclusions. They're designed for a handheld and have to make some space and layout compromises because of this. I really doubt that any nubs will be generally better than full on analog sticks seen in most controllers.

It also probably wouldn't have an overall design featuring rounded grips like most controllers since PS1 do, because that'd be quite a bit more complex to mould and I doubt that OP is interested in coming up with another complex mould right now. It would still need a board to interconnect the controls and provide USB output, although it'd obviously be a different board from what they're using now. I would be very surprised if they'd pursue anything like this because it wouldn't be high enough volume to be competitive with a lot of other controllers out there and the demand for a Pandora-like controller wouldn't be that high. There might be some appeal to having a keyboard controller but I doubt even that would be enough to drive something like this. iControlPad is satisfying much greater market demand than this would.

Then again, if OP really does make a "Pandora Cube" you could surely rig that to be used as a USB controller, if you feel like buying $200+ controllers.

This reminded me of something I was thinking about a while ago. Would it be possible (if so, how difficult?) to have the Pandora show up as a BlueTooth HID device, for use with, say, a home theater PC? The keyboard, gaming controls, and the analog stick as a mouse would be just about perfect for controlling an HTPC from the couch(you could even use it to play some emulators which would work better on an HTPC, such as N64 or DC). I don't really know much about how BT works, so I don't know if this is feasible.

wermy said:
This reminded me of something I was thinking about a while ago. Would it be possible (if so, how difficult?) to have the Pandora show up as a BlueTooth HID device, for use with, say, a home theater PC? The keyboard, gaming controls, and the analog stick as a mouse would be just about perfect for controlling an HTPC from the couch(you could even use it to play some emulators which would work better on an HTPC, such as N64 or DC). I don't really know much about how BT works, so I don't know if this is feasible.

It could probably be done without too much work, however I think that it would be easier to just use wifi and something like synergy to share the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
markatto said:
wermy said:

It could probably be done without too much work, however I think that it would be easier to just use wifi and something like synergy to share the input.

Yeah, I know there are some wifi options out there which would probably do just fine. I just thought it would be neat to have a bluetooth one since then you could use it on anything (there's even a bluetooth keyboard driver for jailbroken iphones, now). :D

So having an OpenPandora branded USB controller isn't likely to happen soon.

Which game controller out there will work as a 2nd player controller on the Pandora with minimal fuss then? Which one is best for a Linux system?

Grench said:
Which game controller out there will work as a 2nd player controller on the Pandora with minimal fuss then? Which one is best for a Linux system?
Bearing in mind this with regard to the Pandora, any USB controller that acts as a USB Human Interface Device (that is, doesn't need Microsoft Windows only drivers or suchlike) will work fine with a Linux system.

Most work this way, in my experience (my own preference is a SNES controller with a USB adapter - your mileage may vary :)).

I'm pretty sure that the PS3's controllers will work with the Pandora via Bluetooth, once the appropriate driver is installed on the Pandora.

Edit: I'm not sure if "driver" is the best word. There is a program on the file archive that's supposed to allow the Pandora to work with the PS3 controller.

wermy said:
I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago. Bluemaemo seems like a good start for a port.

Why not just use a PS3 controller?
They're in the process of getting it to run on the iPhone (probably running on it now)..

ps3_controller_keyboard_02.jpg

or

PS3_3in1_Wireless_keyboard_controller_remote_paypal_acceptable.jpg

I have both of these, and the analog nubs in the remote work fine.. Not the best, but are good enough to play some PS3 car/trail bike games..

Sorry for the post: Aethix you were first in!

Hahahaha, that's my favorite one after monorail cat...

*cough* I would probably buy something like this and just use a ps2 controller. Of course, there are adapters for pretty much any console's controllers, just pick your favorite and buy an adapter for it. Though, if people do get ps3 controllers to work well, and using bluetooth doesn't use up too much battery power, then I'd go with that instead.

absolofdoom said:
*cough* I would probably buy something like this and just use a ps2 controller. Of course, there are adapters for pretty much any console's controllers, just pick your favorite and buy an adapter for it. Though, if people do get ps3 controllers to work well, and using bluetooth doesn't use up too much battery power, then I'd go with that instead.

I got one similar to that, I hope it will work on my Pandora. 2 controllers and a TV can be quite nice :)

kingoddball said:
Why not just use a PS3 controller?
They're in the process of getting it to run on the iPhone (probably running on it now)..
still cant get that image out of my head! IT HAUNTS ME

ps3-wireless-keypad-accessory.jpg

Holy crap that thing is real? I always thought it was a fake render. I wonder how that keyboard is and if you can hack it to work on other systems. I'll have to do some research.

Lunatic said:
wermy said:
I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago. Bluemaemo seems like a good start for a port.

You may find this to be relevant to your interests: BlueMaemo on the N900 posted on Engadget just this morning....
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/n900-turned-into-ps3-controller-courtesy-of-bluemaemo-emulator/

EDIT: And this was posted also on Engadget just a little bit earlier:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/30/modder-crafts-handheld-wireless-visual-interface-for-ps3-makes/
(I guess there's quite a lot of interest in this sort of thing. I wonder how the cost of a custom built controller would compare to the Pandora.)

second exodous said:
Holy crap that thing is real? I always thought it was a fake render. I wonder how that keyboard is and if you can hack it to work on other systems. I'll have to do some research.
This PSP mod might be of interest to you then. He's hacked in a chatboard from an Xbox 360.

I would love to use my Pandora as a remote for my PC. Just turn of the screen and clock it down to conserve power and plug my PC to my 32" TV and use the Pandora to control it from my sofa :)

The kids are 8... charging stations and batteries wind up being my problem. What about corded options for a USB game controller? I can't seem to find any that advertise as 'HID' compliant.

Any experience with any of these under Linux? Has anyone plugged one into the back of a Pandora MP to see what happens?

Super cheap -
"Frisby Dual Vibration PC Computer USB Game Pad Joy Controller" - Nice title - no kidding.

Mid-priced -
"Logitech Rumble Pad 2"
"Logitech Dual Action"

"Saitek PS1000" (I found one article that said only the analog sticks work under Ubuntu for this one.)
"Saitek P990"

Other favorites? Just want to find a set that's generally happy under Linux (Angstrom on Pandora and Ubuntu on others) that I can move from machine to machine and don't have to make sure the kids put on a charger every night.

I still think it would be cool to have a set of OpenPandora USB controllers - but that isn't likely to happen while the boys are still interested in Tux Kart.

Grench said:
I can't seem to find any that advertise as 'HID' compliant.
Most are - just be wary of any that require drivers for Microsoft Windows (although quite often that's just for extraneous features like rumble, and the controllers themselves will work fine regardless). ;)

You'll certainly be fine with the Logitech pads, I would imagine.

Back