OpenPandora Vs GCW screen?

alan h

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if Pandoras 640x480 is better than GCW Zeros 320x240 or vice versa? I know bigger resolution is suppose to be better but I'm concerned the screen gets faded a little or doesn't seem as vibrant with retro games when upscaled and with the filter off it's not as smooth either. With 320x240 there is no filter option because the screen is mostly going to be limited to upscaling.

Does anyone have a site or screenshots of GCW Zero side by side with the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both. For retro, I much prefer the lower-res GCW screen. It's perfect for that being close to native res for most systems it emulates and It's extremely sharp up close.

It also doesn't suffer from some of the major issues the pandora has with it's LCD. 

I'm heading to work, but I could do a quick comparison video between the two screens later tonight.

but on the other side, lots of PC games are design with more than 320x240 in mind. (if PC emulation is your goal, the lack of keyboard is a MAJOR drawback anyway...).

both system are great but they do not have the same goal.

by the way the pandora is 800x480...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought being that the high res android gamepads out there look horrible with snes emulation. Could just be the bright dislay too that they don't have.

A 320x240 LCD display looks exactly the same as a 640x480 display when the resolution is doubled.

I've used the GCW-Zero when I was at PAX East last year when working the Booth with Link(ithic.com) and the GCW-Zero guys.. The Pandora Screen blows the GCW Zero screen out of the water, but it's good for retro emulation.. However I like Zelda and PSX emulation running at double resolution so the Pandora has that advantage. Also the Pandora isn't just geared for retro emulation so it takes advantage of the higher resolution screen for native linux game, desktop applications and such.

That's what I thought being that the high res android gamepads out there look horrible with snes emulation. Could just be the bright dislay too that they don't have.
Are you disabling any/all filters on these android devices?
I check both without or with but it just doesn't look the same as the original console though.

A 320x240 LCD display looks exactly the same as a 640x480 display when the resolution is doubled.
The border in between pixels is the difference. Granted, those are usually larger on a lower res display, so it evens out against introducing more. But it isnt the same.
You get 12 RGB subpixels per pixel if you're doing pixel doubling instead of 3. So there will be less subpixel artifacts. But maybe some people are used to those artifacts and consider things to be more authentic if all original artifacts are preserved.

but on the other side, lots of PC games are design with more than 320x240 in mind.
To illustrate the difference, here are some screenshots of the Free Heroes ports.

First Dingoo (320x200):

fheroes2-opendingux.png

And Pandora (640x480)

fheroes2-pvw.png

I had fun playing FHeroes on my Dingoo but on a Pandora it's a whole new experience.

(if PC emulation is your goal, the lack of keyboard is a MAJOR drawback anyway...).
Playing PC games not always requires emulating a whole PC :) But yeah, even for Commodore or Amiga the lack of physical keyboard could be pretty frustrating.

Back