openXile's Big Caanoo Review

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
banner.png

I just finished my Caanoo review. I've been playing with the console for over a week now, and I have to say, finding the right words for the review was very easy. I'm very pleased to have been given the opportunity to review this console, and hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

You can find it here, at openXile.co.uk

nice review. but shouldn't be ashura cross named asura cross?

Good work, nice long write-up and it reads well :) .
I haven't actually heard anyone mention the rumble feature yet. Is there no way of testing it out in the settings?

Edit: You should post it on GPH's Facebook wall.

Good job on the review.

No the wiz screen did not have ghosting. Someone else can give technical presentation on difference between oled and lcd.

Great review - it's swayed me over to seriously considering getting a Caanoo...

The one thing that I'd still really like to know is how well the analogue stick compares to the Zodiac's when using emulators. I found the Zodiac's to be okayish depending on game type but I really struggled playing shoot-em-ups on the Zodiac's PC Engine emulator. I don't think the Zodiac's stick was as bad as a lot of people have made out but I think the Caanoo's would have to be at least a bit better before I'd get one.

Anyone have both a Zodiac and a Caanoo to make a fair comparison?

Cheers!

john

Nice Review. I went for the "Gamepack" for the extra 9 EUR.

What exactly are the arcade games that are with it? Did I read Metal Slug and Outrun? Seems like 9 EUR gets you a lot!

Bampt said:
The WIZ screen had Ghosting??
Yeah, when you have set the highest brightness, then you can see it e.g. in qtopia or UAE4all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, thanks for your feedback.

What I was meant to say is that there's no ghosting. There's also no tearing - which was a problem with the Wiz. I've also not noticed any ghosting on the Wiz. Sorry for the misunderstanding, i'll fix it now.

I'll fix the links as well.

Here is some suggest you could add to the tearing issue of the Wiz.
You could write, that because the Caanoo has a 320x240 screen instead of a 240x320 one like the WIZ no additional rotations in software are needed,
thus making it more easy to port applications...
Don´t know if thats actually true (the Caanoo having an 320x240 screen) because GPH could have optimised everything currently on the test unit for an 240x320 screen.
Edit:
Also any word how well the contrast of the screen is?
Edit again:
I never noticed ghosting on the standart brightness setting, so sorry for my former statement, I should have gone more into detail on this one

Bampt said:
You could write, that because the Caanoo has a 320x240 screen instead of a 240x320 one like the WIZ no additional rotations in software are needed,
thus making it more easy to port applications...
It isn't needed to rotate in software on the Wiz either. If you don't do it there will simply be tearing (which also has been reduced with the new firmware so you can hardly see it). Also there's a SDL version which rotates the screen for you so you don't have to do anything. Therefore I wouldn't say that it's easier to port applications.

SPIKE.
Nova how did you find the shoulder buttons? Anarchy said that they had to be pressed near the centre for them to register properly.

Cool review, Nova.

Thanks. Although I don't use any emulators I'm kind of glad about the analogue stick.
It seems to be less terrible than many people thought. Hopefully this calms down emotions a bit (at least on that subject).

Now I just need to convince my wife that she needs this (or my WIZ) as a Christmas present.
(Selfish? No, read this: Animatch "Monster")
:lol:
OK, not for Christmas, may as late-August present...

rds

kasi

Haha, my girlfriend is obsessed with Animatch as well! She's very disappointed that it isn't on the Caanoo yet, but it just means I get more time with it while she plays the Wiz. :p

Back