Opera Mobile 10 On Maemo

zaoin

Website
Visit site
Maemo is linux in arm. Isn't it?
Can be "ported" this package to Pandora?

Sorry for my ignorance. :unsure:

Here the url.

Some quotes:

This Maemo version of Opera Mobile 10 was created as a hobby project by a small team of developers in their spare time. In total, about 6 man-weeks were spent on creating the release. It’s worth pointing out that this is not an officially-supported release. As such, it has not undergone our usual quality assurance processes, and at times may not feel as polished or complete as an official release. This also means that there may never be a “final” release of Opera Mobile 10 for Maemo devices, since it’s just that much more fun to add shiny new features rather than fixing boring old bugs.

The preview build contains the same features available in Opera Mobile 10 for Symbian and Windows Mobile smartphones. These include fast and economical browsing with Opera Turbo, bookmark and Speed Dial sync with other Opera products, and of course multiple tabs. For more information, see our rundown of Opera Mobile 10 features.

We have two additional treats for Maemo users: this is the first public release of Opera Mobile to include Carakan — our new Javascript engine.

Unfortunately, JIT support for ARM was not yet stable enough to include, but the speed advantage we gain from Carakan compared to Opera Mobile running on other platforms is already quite substantial.

The second treat is the Mobile debut of our Vega rendering library which — among other things — is responsible for rendering all the exciting new eye-candy like CSS3 rounded corners and shadow effects.

There are a number of known issues with this build, listed below:
Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported.
Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode. We expect to fix this in a future update.
The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported. Use the physical keyboard or the on screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile.
There is no power management support. In practice this means that if you open a page with animations and leave Opera running, you will soon be using a payphone. Power is drained even when Opera is running in the background and/or the screen is turned off.
If you set Opera as the default browser, for example by installing the Browser Switchboard, an extra empty tab will get opened every time you open a link from an external application.

Alerino said:
If Opera allows, i think it could be ported, but Arora might work much much better.

Has Arora "Fit-to-width"?

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP team has contacted Opera in the past.

If I remember correctly, they got the reply to come back after having reached an installed-base of 50.000 users.

Opera Mini 5 would probably run in a JVM, but this version on Maemo sounds better. When the Pandora gets out, let the browser wars commence!

I wish I could turn off fit-to-width, or if I can turn it off, I wish I could figure out how. It's really the only thing that's bugging me about Opera on my N900. I like that websites, for the most part, look the same on MicroB as they do on a desktop. If I occasionally have to scroll left-to-right on an extra wide page, that's fine. The fonts also seem too small and changing the zoom didn't fix it for me. I even went into opera:config and changed the font size and made sure Rending was set to 0 (normal). This one thing has basically made Opera unusable for me, especially in portrait mode.

I must say I'm pretty enthusiastic about this Opera version. It runs very well on my N900. I like the way I can pre-set a zoom factor, and then when I hit the screen it'll zoom to that size, and even shift to the part of the page where I pointed. A double-click resets it. Without the zoom the fonts are very small indeed.. @Ravnos: the way to handle the small fonts is to toggle in and out of zoom. In settings you can choose what fits you best (200%, 240%, whatever). It's possible to navigate and read through complex pages quite efficiently this way, for example the bbc news page which is "pre-set" as an initial bookmark (for the equivalent of bookmarks in Opera). The portrait mode works well too (with auto-switch!). If there'll be a version with the power handling fixed, and when it stops the occasional crashing, then this one could well be my default browser on the N900.

-Tor

Tor said:
I must say I'm pretty enthusiastic about this Opera version. It runs very well on my N900. I like the way I can pre-set a zoom factor, and then when I hit the screen it'll zoom to that size, and even shift to the part of the page where I pointed. A double-click resets it. Without the zoom the fonts are very small indeed.. @Ravnos: the way to handle the small fonts is to toggle in and out of zoom. In settings you can choose what fits you best (200%, 240%, whatever). It's possible to navigate and read through complex pages quite efficiently this way, for example the bbc news page which is "pre-set" as an initial bookmark (for the equivalent of bookmarks in Opera). The portrait mode works well too (with auto-switch!). If there'll be a version with the power handling fixed, and when it stops the occasional crashing, then this one could well be my default browser on the N900.

-Tor

I honestly still prefer the way MicroB handles pages. Opera was great on the much lower resolution of my E71 but with MicroB I only occasionally have to zoom. I'll pass until that's the case with Opera, too. Oh well.

Caine said:

If I remember correctly, they got the reply to come back after having reached an installed-base of 50.000 users.

Easy =)

I've just discovered Opera Unite, though it actually came out last year. The basic description is that it allows your computer to be a web server with a URL; you can share files, images, music and media with others (either everyone or password-protected) without hosting it on a 3rd-party site, as long as your computer is turned on and connected to the internet. You have to be using Opera, but others can access your content from other browsers, and there are many applications such as a media player, etc. So a bit like FTP, but easier to set up, or like a simpler version of Google Wave.

Something like this could be very useful to have on Pandora, I think. So I'm hoping that we get to 50,000 eventually. :)

Now probably someone will tell me that all of these features are already possible with other programs... Are they?

Opera on N900 is excellent!

I plan to use on Pandora if it's available..

Maybe we can find a .deb one day.

Edit: To OP: Maemo is linux based. It's built on Debian. What is Pandora built on (or at least what is Angstrom built upon?)?

Caine said:

I have multiple personality disorder, all 50,000 personalities will be an individual Pandora user, problem solved we thinks!

Just download the package from the Opera Repo and tweak it for N900..

Hold on... I'll get the repo....

Just download the package from the Opera Repo and tweak it for N900..

Hold on... I'll get the repo....

Edit:
Code:
Opera Catalog
http://deb.opera.com/maemo

non-free

Hm, I'm not sure what you're trying to do? When you click the install you'll get that repo applied to your apt.sources anyway. And no tweaking.. it's for the N900 to start with.

Getting Linux binaries from one distro to another can be annoying, but not impossible. One good thing is that Opera tends to usually be rather statically linked, so the library requirements are probably quite low.

Edit: tried to check with ldd, but it's being retarded.
Code:
paul@yay ~/opera-mobile/usr/bin $ file opera
opera: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
paul@yay ~/opera-mobile/usr/bin $ ldd opera
	not a dynamic executable

paulguy said:
Getting Linux binaries from one distro to another can be annoying, but not impossible. One good thing is that Opera tends to usually be rather statically linked, so the library requirements are probably quite low.

Edit: tried to check with ldd, but it's being retarded.
Code:
paul@yay ~/opera-mobile/usr/bin $ file opera
opera: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
paul@yay ~/opera-mobile/usr/bin $ ldd opera
	not a dynamic executable
You running this on an x86? The x86 ldd wont know a thing about the binary because it must run (a part of) the binary (link it) in order for it to know whats missing / where was stuff found. Architechture/ABI/C library mismatch causes this. Maybe something like readelf would work better?

Ah thanks, good to know.

Anyway:

opera
Code:
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libfreetype.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libz.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libosso.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libhildon-1.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libatk-1.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpangocairo-1.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpango-1.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libcairo.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libhildonmime.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgnomevfs-2.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgthread-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [librt.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgmodule-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgconf-2.so.4]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdbus-glib-1.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libconic.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdbus-1.so.3]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgobject-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libglib-2.0.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libopera.so]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libstdc++.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libX11.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libXrandr.so.2]

libopera
Code:
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libfreetype.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libz.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [librt.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libdl.so.2]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libstdc++.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libm.so.6]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
 0x00000001 (NEEDED)                     Shared library: [libc.so.6]

Doesn't seem to need anything too crazy. Only thing out of the ordinary are libosso and libhildon, which are a part of Maemo, but they seem like they can be installed separately and are open source.

Back