Opinions About The Pandora From A Devvers Point Of View?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Hello everybody, we have been seeing a lot of reviews from new owners of the pandora, but I was wondering about people that are actually making software. I posted some guide questions for you devvers, Im just very curious about your opinions.

1. What device did you mostly dev for before the pandora came on the scene?
2. How does the pandora compare to this device devving wise?
3. What is the biggest downside to the pandora devving wise?
4. What is the biggest pro about pandora devving?
5. What would you change or need, to make the pandora a better machine to dev for?
6. Anything else you like to share about this subject?

(same topic as on the op boards)

This is an interesting question.
I remember the good old gp32 days. There were weekly updates in the emulation scene.
Are the emulators on the pandora improving ?
Or... are there too many platforms these days ?
Are we going to see the perfect amiga/c64... emulator on our pandora ????
I mainly ordered a pandora because of the emulators.

Bosbeetle said:
Hello everybody, we have been seeing a lot of reviews from new owners of the pandora, but I was wondering about people that are actually making software. I posted some guide questions for you devvers, Im just very curious about your opinions.

5. What would you change or need, to make the pandora a better machine to dev for?

Perhaps I don't qualify because I haven't released anything to the public and I've only ever written stuff for myself, but to answer your questions:
1. PC; Linux and Windows.
2. very similar.
3. Figuring out the cross compiling procedure for the first time.
4. It's portable and handheld!
5. Not a thing.
6. I'm not sure what you hope to learn from these questions, but good luck anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosbeetle said:

I'm not sure my limited development counts for anything(mostly stuff for self, various utilities), but I'll give some input.

Pretty much just PC.
It's pretty nice, quite equal. Lots of supportive libraries and such, zenity is great.
Trying to use CIFS to make for easier version updating seems to hose PND support.
All the great libraries and the nice linux environment.
Better integrated wifi chipset, 40KBp/s is usable, but it'd be nicer for it be faster to allow for quicker transfers.
The pandora is generally great at it, and I guess the shell scripts I've been working on aren't exactly master works of code, using the pandora to do them has been a breeze.

As the thread already got bumped, I'll reply too.
Bosbeetle said:
1. none. Say PC, but that was a long ago.
2. Pandora is an ARM PC (from a linux point of view anyway) so that's pretty much the same thing
3. Cross-compilation make the process a bit less easy, but with some helper script that's levered a lots.
4. none, but I guess comparing with a wiz would be differant
5. an even better toolchain (working on that). A good guide on how to remotely debug on the pandora (I know gdbserver, I want a graphic client to that...)
I always wanted to be able to tweek my handled the way I wanted. I bough a pandora for that, none of the others handhelds devices seamd to be easy enough for me.
In the end I was realy surprised how the pandora was easy to hack, even easier than I expected/hoped.

Back