[Original Game] AquaVenture

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Work has started on my possible entry to the DragonBox Coding competition.

I plan to release the game on Pandora, Wiz, Cannoo, GP2X and pc.

I've attached a small .avi file of the current intro. The game is a retro styled turn-based puzzle game set underwater.

[EDIT]Uploaded to YouTube now

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mUjmr3-OiTM?feature=oembed
AquaVenture.zip

Attachments

• AquaVenture.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 498
Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!! I was kinda hoping that you might release Dino Defense for the christmas compo, but this looks like it could be really fun! I like aquatic themed software, (guess it all started with Ecco the Dolphin for me) cant wait to see more...

The youtube movie doesn't work (it's private). Nice title screen! I like turn-based puzzle games, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Are you planning to release the code too? (I guess not, but maybe you changed your mind)

Are you planning to release the code too? (I guess not, but maybe you changed your mind)
I will be. I stated several times in my posts that I would comply with the rules (which at the time stated OpenSource). I merely stated (after ED offered both options) I would prefer that the author's could choose not to. At no time did I say that I wouldn't release the sourcecode.

Thanks for the heads up re; private Youtube vids. I was under the impression that Private could still be viewed if the link was given, but wouldn't show up in a general search. I've made it public now. :)

Looking good!

is it going to be 320x240? I have lately thought about supporting 160x120.

Nice wave effect!.

edit: heck, now there is a video, re-edit does not show on my end. love the fat pixel shark, keep up! :)

icon2.PNG

The icon

diver.gif

The player

crab.gif

A crab - as seen earlier

gem.gif

A gem - collect these

pink_star.gif

A starfish. A pink one. Comes in two different flavours.

:)

[EDIT] Bugger. Attached animated GIFs don't animate in posts. My site is currently down, so I can't even link to them. Oh well: just use your imagination.

sub.PNG

A tubmarine. May or may not make it into the full game.

oyster.PNG

Little oyster, little oyster...

octo.PNG

A 4 legged 8 legged thingy. A quatropus?

sponge.PNG

A squishy sponge. It's not a loofah.

[EDIT] A couple of extras I forgot to include

mine.PNG

A booma

waste.PNG

Toxic waste.

It looks absolutely gorgeous, underwater is a nice theme and I like puzzle-games. :)

The Player seems a bit small in comparison to the other creatures, but I'm sure you know what you're doing. Can you give some more hints about the gameplay?

I don't want to give too much away just yet, but it's not a typical puzzle game or arcade adventure. It's kind of turn based, but not. Does that help at all? ;) :p

No :p

Sounds like an original concept, though, which makes it even more interesting. I hope it turns out nicely!

now i'm really going to have to play this... i'm intrigued by the turn based aspect though, Multiplayer? AI? the anticipation is killing me!

There's definitely not going to be a multiplayer option. As for AI - every creature within the game has very specific and different behaviours based on their type  - nothing is random, whether that behaviour is to ignore you, avoid you or chase you or something else. But it's not just the creatures that create the problems/puzzles...

I guarantee that the moment you see the "turn-based" aspect in action you'll understand it. It's not like chess or other turn-based games, but it's not real-time action either. It's different.

BTW It's got over 20 levels so far :)

Already a nice amount of levels!

I just hope there isn't too much"chance" involved ... sometimes you worked hard enough to figure out how to pass a level, and then you just can't because it involves pressing the right button within a nano-second or die by 1 pixel :p (Yes, I suck at arcade-games)

But since it's not really real-time action I guess this will not be the case.

I just hope there isn't too much"chance" involved ... sometimes you worked hard enough to figure out how to pass a level, and then you just can't because it involves pressing the right button within a nano-second or die by 1 pixel :p (Yes, I suck at arcade-games)
That's not going to happen in this game, although there are levels where you need to do things before other things do or can occur. There are levels where your choices/moves affect the rest of the level - you can fail. And of course there are certain outcomes to certain situations which will be new at first - you won't know what'll happen until it does. And then you will either (try to) avoid that situation in future or take advantage of it.

There are some real-time action events, but these are all of your own doing, one way or another. You cause these events. There are no time restrictions to the game, but certain levels require actions to prevent failure within a certain number of moves.

There are no scores, no lives, no oxygen gauges and no moves counters in the game at all. Level numbers are the only numbers you'll see. No other stats.

Back