[Original Game] P01: Trigger Happy

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay - looks like my kind of game (I like stuff like SGD, Kobo Deluxe and R-Type Delta on PCSX). Are you planning on having difficulty levels? ('cos as much as like them, I also suck at them).

Not sure yet, I'd need to change my level file spec if I do (or just create a bunch of different "level packs")

If you provide a full editor with this, this could be a great game engine to load mods from people who have time and talent to make graphics/sprites/backgrounds/music with it.

A full editor would be a lot of work, and will certainly not make the compo. However, I'm tempted to restructure the files in order to make them easier to work with. I think the hardest thing is the scripting system for the enemy controls, that would definately require an editor of some sort, unless I changed the script from being "input keys", to be flight paths or something

We'll see how things look as I progress.

awesome, i had a feeling that community shmup you had planned a while back would go somewhere, certainly looking good.

Thanks

In all fairness, mjohansson, WrathOfKhan, and Binky (I think, not really been reading the thread) are still working on the community game. By sounds of it, they are making progress, would be interesting to see if they manage to get something in for this compo too.

I've altered P01 so it allows you to progress from level to level now. My plan was to have a craft shop, weapon shop, and level select, I might leave them out of P01 for the sake of getting Trigger Happy done for the compo; then when I have more time, add all the flexible features and build an editor :)

Great, looking good however I think the grafics could look better in pixel art, but it is just a personal opinion ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those graphics are merely placeholders for now, but we'll see how this ends up depending on time :)

If you make a shoting game please make lots of upgrades and possibility to restore health.

I LOVE OpenTyrian.

If you could make your game like that i will love it, too.

Most of the "upgrades" will be done between levels. I said I might ditch the shops, but I'm hoping to get them in. You'll be able to buy a new ship, weapons and shields. Buy and sell prices will be equal, so you won't be penalised for trying different combinations

I will add pickups during the level - such as hull repair, and weapon pickups. The weapon pickups probably won't be "usable" until you reach the shop where you can reconfigure your ship.

At least, that's the plan :)

By the way in the shooting mecanics you could add some shooting delay while the player is shooting like the good old arcades.

High scores are a welcome addition and make the game more replayable :)

By the way in the shooting mecanics you could add some shooting delay while the player is shooting like the good old arcades.
See the top "older video" for multiple weapons, each have their own "spread", bullet speed, fire rate etc.

Take a look at this file for an example of weapon setup, and this file for example of ship setup

Oh, you will make a shop between levels?

THAT'S WHAT I WANT.
Yep, that's the intention anyway. I might have to cut some bits back in I'm low on time. I think I'll definately cut the "level select" unless I get spare time :)

Pretty cool stuff. The fluid movement and high firerate is really nice.

With some scifi/horror graphics like in lifeforce or r-type, this will be great.

See the top "older video" for multiple weapons, each have their own "spread", bullet speed, fire rate etc.

Take a look at this file for an example of weapon setup, and this file for example of ship setup

Oh, you will make a shop between levels?

THAT'S WHAT I WANT.
Yep, that's the intention anyway. I might have to cut some bits back in I'm low on time. I think I'll definately cut the "level select" unless I get spare time :)

I checked the files, good stuff :)

I said that because of the video, but in that case I remove what I said :)

Pretty cool stuff. The fluid movement and high firerate is really nice.

With some scifi/horror graphics like in lifeforce or r-type, this will be great.
Not sure, was thinking something a bit brighter, though I was thinking of maybe using the ship design attached below (which I apparently drew nearly 7 years ago, according to the file timestamp!).

No one wants to do C++?
The two other devs were slaeshjag and mjohansson; yeah, and neither like C++ IIRC. So mjohansson's currently pushing that forward in C.

duelshock-RevisionA.png

Thanks

In all fairness, mjohansson, WrathOfKhan, and Binky (I think, not really been reading the thread) are still working on the community game. By sounds of it, they are making progress, would be interesting to see if they manage to get something in for this compo too.

I've altered P01 so it allows you to progress from level to level now. My plan was to have a craft shop, weapon shop, and level select, I might leave them out of P01 for the sake of getting Trigger Happy done for the compo; then when I have more time, add all the flexible features and build an editor :)
We considered it, but we won't have anything worth showing in time for the compo. Its going well but its early days yet. LOTS of hard work to do yet. We do have a great concept sketch artist on board now too though.

I might as well post and say this project is not going to make the DragonBox compo. As predicted, I've done barely no coding since Christmas, and am struggling for time.

My Pandora should be back this week (according to DHL, it's been ready to leave Germany for over a day :( ), I may try and pick up a smaller project and enter that. Sorry for those hoping to get a crazy shooter.

Back