Outdated or obsolete tech thread

Fixit

I know everyone here has at least one piece of old tech they are hanging on to. What's your favorite piece of old technology? Mine was my old Zune 30GB. The first generation where they still used an old spinning HDD inside. Man I miss that thing... I dropped it while it was loading a different song and it borked up the drive, effectively trashing 22GB of music files.

40260-o2%20xda%20mini%20s_artikel.jpg

My goodness is that windows? Thats pretty neat. Everyone I talk to about their new windows phones dislike them. I guess they are somewhat exclusive on their apps.

http://m.gsmarena.com/o2_xda_ii_mini-944.php
Had it from 2005-2006.
I guess it was Windows Mobile 6.5 installed.

Helped me alot with making my homeworks on bus. Sadly I gave it away to get a "trendy" smartphonelike LG brick. Crapy OS and UI. At those times, windows 6.5 gave me much more of settingsfreedom.
Ironic that I miss a windows system....

I mainly use windows for gaming. Other than that I find Ubuntu to be more geared towards a no nonsense individual and it doesnt get all bogged down like a windows install can be

I don't miss the dark ages of Windows Mobile 6 era...

I mainly use windows for gaming. Other than that I find Ubuntu to be more geared towards a no nonsense individual and it doesnt get all bogged down like a windows install can be
Well there was a time before Android and iOS. Where PalmOS and Windows Mobile were basically the two major players.

Wow. PalmOS, what a throwback. I'm using an old flip phone from 2009 so I have no mobile OS. I used to own an LG Optimus Q which had Android Gingerbread on it (Rooted and flashed of course). I have a habit of tinkering with every piece of equipment I own. I even dabbled in modding the original xbox as well but my CD drive crapped out on me before I pulled the trigger... Still have it in the basement though!

Sansa e200 with rockbox - almost 24 hours of battery life - loved it and would still love it. Unfortunately I broke 3 of them and they are not available anymore unless you are willing to pay a crazy sum of money.

sansa-rockbox.jpg

and

Nokia N900 - EOL hardware but I still use it and not planning to replace it any time soon. Try to find a phone with Linux and a hardware keyboard these days... :(

N900_xterm.JPG

Thats actually a nice phone for its age. Can you elaborate on RockBox? I have heard about it but never actually seen or even used it. Was there a certain list of devices that supported it back in the day? Speaking of older MP3 Devices, I miss my Sony D-NF430. This thing was amazing! A CD/MP3 player with AM/FM/Weatherband radio and an inline remote. Someone stole mine years ago and I have missed it since. But if I still had it I may not have ever bought my Zune and I would still be using the ATRAC format for my tunes heh

http://www.rockbox.org/

Available for the Pandora too and there is an Android port. It is firmware for mp3 players. MP3 players supported by rockbox are - as far as I know - not produced any more so you need to buy them 2nd hand.
I have a couple of sansa clips (+) that are working perfectly with it and I mainly use it to listen to podcasts and audio books. It has bookmarks that you can maintain per directory, auto-resume, speech, plug ins, party-shuffle, shortcuts, soundsettings, equalizer, shutdown timer and tons of other settings and features.
Funny thing is that the 2nd hand rockbox supported devices are starting to become just as expensive as their current counterparts.

Did I say that? Have to work on my linguistic skills...

I really miss my Palm Pre 2.
why-go_2.png

Sadly once HP bought Palm, they destroyed the brand and dumped it, rather than building a more powerful device that would make the OS sing. WebOS is simply the best mobile phone OS I've ever used. I still miss it's features every single day. The keypad. The text alert light. The gestures. The ringer silencer button. The cards and the true multi-tasking. The ease of deleting texts and unwanted call details and apps as well as a host of other extras, including the Touchstone wireless charging and size of the phone that fitted in my pocket nicely. Oh and I mustn't forget the physical keyboard. Some of these features are incorporated in other phones, but none have them all.

I moved to Android for a larger screen and better photos as well as the games and apps. They haven't ever really made up for it and I really do consider going back to my Pre2.

:(

Reactions: ___
I still use my Archos 204 for music, the sound quality isn't awesome by todays standards but I love the fact I can operate it in my pocket due to the physical controls.

Archos_204.jpg

Back