Overclockable Now.... Not?!

Scott

Still Fresh
Website
www.subquantumsoftware.com
I havent played my gp32 in a while, but I explicitly remember it being able to go to 166 and above. Now everytime I try and overclock it, even to 156, it freezes (on fgen, and clocktester), and it has this juttery line effect on the screen. I've tried 2 different types of batteries and both were fully charged.

Any suggestions?

(im quite dissapointed, I wanted to be able to play worms and sonic on my trip in a couple days)

i wouldn't trust your memory
maybe you should do the overclock mod
www.cobbleware.com i think
its robbsters site

Well, im not too good at soldering. I just read my batteries and they say 1.2 volts. Could that be the problem?.

OH, and a couple of times i accidentally plugged my gp into a usb slot that for some reason has power going through it and it turned my gp on without me touching it and it just showed a blank screen and my light was on. Could this of dammaged it?

If the FW was dodgy it wouldn't work at all I would think. When it resets are you overclocking? or does it happen at 133?

133 mhz. *sigh* i think im just gonna sell it and save up for something. *sighs again* But something always better comes right after you buy the thing you though was better. STOP MOORE'S LAW!!

I just reflashed it and it still crashes. Once mr spiv's cpu monitor came up with this out of alignment crap and a whole bunch of hex or 32bit values or something.

Are you running it off batteries or an AC adapter? If batteries, are they regular or rechargables? Try different power sources (if available) and see if that helps. In very rare cases, rechargables or old batteries can effect the performance of overclocking.

Oops, just read one of your replies again...

I just read my batteries and they say 1.2 volts.

Those are rechargables, try regular batteries (which are 1.5 volts).

rechargeables are loosing their power after time/charging circles, and the (over)clocking of the gp depends at the the voltage. try new batterys

Scott posted on Jul 2 2004 at 02:31 AM said:
I havent played my gp32 in a while, but I explicitly remember it being able to go to 166 and above. Now everytime I try and overclock it, even to 156, it freezes (on fgen, and clocktester), and it has this juttery line effect on the screen. I've tried 2 different types of batteries and both were fully charged.

Any suggestions?

(im quite dissapointed, I wanted to be able to play worms and sonic on my trip in a couple days)
Juttery line effect? More obvious when overclocking? It really does sound like dodgy batteries to me. Try NEW high quality alkaline (not rechargeables) batteries before freaking out. If it still crashes, then commence freaking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've heard about this kind of thing before - GP32s have been known to have their OC limit decrease with time (though I'm not actually sure whether with overclocking or not). But before you decide for certain yours has done that, do as many others have said - try new batteries. Especially if the screen's flickering at all.

Its not always obvious that they're the problem, but very often they are. For example, if your batteries have been recharged enough to have serious memory effects going on, then they might not be at 1.2v - they could actually top out at somewhat less. Which might (though I don't know my electronics, and someone did say in #GP32dev that the voltage went through a transformation to 3.3v) mean there isn't actually enough getting to the CPU. Just get some new ones and give them a shot. And then solder yourself a resistor in. Possibly.

Change your batteries I was having trouble with my GP32 resetting with some applications (/speeds) and I changed to new batteries and it worked fine.

Yes, yes, i've changed my batteries many times, both to new alkaline and rechargables. Its freezes instantly on 166, and before i could run it for hours. It freezes after 15 seconds on 156.

Ill try my ac adapter. I dunno. Its getting me mad :angry:

Doesnt work on adapter either. I think im gonna sell it before it stop working on 133. Now it freezes instantly on 156.

Well gp, you served me well for half a year (I barely played it too, only on long road trips, which was once) . Now its time for a visit to ebay.

Back