Overclocking

The Jimmer

Still Fresh
I really like playing Mario Golf on the GBA. gpSP will not run it (the game crashes either during the intro or, if I "X" through the intro, during player creation). VBA will run it but it's slow and choppy with the CPU at 500 (even 600). Game play is good at 800 and I played several rounds at this speed over the past 2 days (I always reset back to 500 before shutting the unit down).

Today, when I tried to set the CPU speed using the system program, the system locked up. I had to reset my Pandora 5 different times after trying to set the CPU at 800, 800, 775, 750, and 600 (in that order) because the unit locked up each time.

I've read others mentioning no problems with overclocking and I doubt that 2 days of running the unit at 800 (for a total of about an hour and some change) is going to do permanent damage. The only change I made to the unit since yesterday is reinstalling PCSX ReARMed (to update to r8) and add a few PSX games to the SD card.

I'm concerned that I either have a corrupt CPU-Speed program or that I have a problem with the Pandora itself.

Any suggestions?

There's a bug, fixed in hotfix 5 I think, that doesn't reset the OPP level properly sometimes. When it goes into low power mode, it reduces to OPP1 in order to save a lot of power. If it then reboots before restoring it to OPP3, when it comes up it will still be OPP1, which is too low to overclock at all. Pull the battery for about a minute to let the internal settings reset and it should be fine.

There's a bug, fixed in hotfix 5 I think, that doesn't reset the OPP level properly sometimes. When it goes into low power mode, it reduces to OPP1 in order to save a lot of power. If it then reboots before restoring it to OPP3, when it comes up it will still be OPP1, which is too low to overclock at all. Pull the battery for about a minute to let the internal settings reset and it should be fine.

That seems to have fixed the problem - Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back