Painted My Gp32

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Well I was staring down at my ugly plain colored gp32 yesterday, and I got the impuse to paint it....so i did. with the help of magus i was able to deconstruct the unit with minimal breakage :D, and I spray painted it. I think I did a pretty good job. What do you guys think??
IMG_05251.jpg

IMG_05261.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_05251.jpg
    IMG_05251.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_05261.jpg
    IMG_05261.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 145
Still think it's a great color for it... Cherry Red used to be what they used for high class sports cars. Metallic Red would have been good, but it does look fabulous as is.

You are a very brave person. I have a unit that I picked up very cheap that someone took apart and painted. They could never get the LCD back up and running. I have fiddled with it trying to get it to work, but The screen is real faint or only one strip will come on. It is like the contacts in the ribbon input on the board are dirty. It is a NLU version of the GP32. I plan on using it for a spare parts unit, if ever I need them. Great that you were able to do it and it came out successful! :D

Looks okay, I probably would have prefered something more glossy and shiney but "metalic" red makes me think it would have looked like it belonged to a Hooker or her pimp. :p

I hope the paint dosent eventually start to wear off form use though. This is the reason why all my systems are either black or white.

it's krylon acrylic (specially made for plastics), so i doubt it'll fade unless i use it like for 10 hours a day for a few years :p

im looking for a FLU, and when I get it im gonna paint it metallic gold with silver accents :D . should be amazing

as for the "minimal breakage" I described earlier, it was in regards to the lcd. the ribbon that attaches the the lcd to the board came out of the little switchy thing attached to the board, and then a small piece on the switch broke off and the ribbon wouldnt stay attached to the damn board. luckily some glue and the fact that the switch rests against the folded part of the ribbon is keeping it safe :)

for all the work i put into it thou, i think it was well worth it :rolleyes:

TeDaDeS posted on Sep 4 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
Did you remove the sticker on the back of your GP32, or did you try?
yes, i took the sticker off and put it back on afterwards

Last edited by a moderator:
luckily some glue and the fact that the switch rests against the folded part of the ribbon is keeping it safe
What type of glue did you use? Maybe i need to break the non working unit that I talked about earlier and clean the contacts and glue it.

i used crazy glue but like a half a pin head's worth. only enough to hold it until i could seal the unit. DONT use this glue until you know it's ok for electronic use. Take a trip to a hoppy store and ask

I did a similar thing with my nlu gp32 about 9 months ago except I painted it black. Sadly, through my vigorous use of my gp32, some of the paint has worn (chipped?) off and revealed the white underneath it, so it doesn't look nearly as nice anymore. But I don't care, it still works fine (well, except for my "light up select and start buttons" mod..... The blue LED's worked fine but I'm not very good with electronic hardware and I couldn't get the wires to stay because I don't have a steady hand with the iron....). Plus, the gp2x is coming out and I am definitely upgrading.

deadlychicken22 posted on Sep 4 2005 at 07:38 PM said:
I did a similar thing with my nlu gp32 about 9 months ago except I painted it black. Sadly, through my vigorous use of my gp32, some of the paint has worn (chipped?) off and revealed the white underneath it, so it doesn't look nearly as nice anymore. But I don't care, it still works fine (well, except for my "light up select and start buttons" mod..... The blue LED's worked fine but I'm not very good with electronic hardware and I couldn't get the wires to stay because I don't have a steady hand with the iron....). Plus, the gp2x is coming out and I am definitely upgrading.
you installed a mod? i would do that :) . was it too difficult??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back