Pandora 2 as NAS

Definitely. It should also supply power to the stack and function as a UPS for them.

By the time the P2 is out these are bound to be standard features in tablets and the P2 is just so going to loose to all the competitors unless it has these!

We also need an integrated, inline cooling system since this thing is going to be running 24/7. Maybe we could market it to Dropbox as a better way to run their cloud storage?

We also need an integrated, inline cooling system since this thing is going to be running 24/7. Maybe we could market it to Dropbox as a better way to run their cloud storage?
The back of the lid has ample heat dissipation area, it can be turned into a massive cooler which no-one ever touches and anyone who really wants to overclock the device can then always add your regular 80mm cooler to increase air flow. Transferring the heat from the SOC to the lid is trivial: watercooling pipes can be routed through the hinge arrangement. The only thing holding us back now is people are still arguing which pump should be used.

Say what, let's arrange a poll between the various pump options?

Various? I thought there were only two. The SMART Car radiator and the RAZR NAGA HY-PERFORMANCE LIQUID COLLER MASTER ICE COLD CHILL NITROGEN NOS BOOSTER PACK SYSTEM w/ the 100gallon reservoirs upgrade?

I think it needs a RAID card and four SATA ports in the back... opinions?
Four is nowhere near enough SATA ports. We need 12 for a proper NAS controller.

It also needs on-RAID dedicated cache of at least 128MB of ECC RAM.

To that end we'll also need at least 16GB ECC RAM on the system and a pair of 6 core 64bit CPUs to handle the server OS and be able to run virtual machines on it smoothly.

Wait - I just described my home rack mount server... What were we talking about again?

Four is nowhere near enough SATA ports. We need 12 for a proper NAS controller.It also needs on-RAID dedicated cache of at least 128MB of ECC RAM.To that end we'll also need at least 16GB ECC RAM on the system and a pair of 6 core 64bit CPUs to handle the server OS and be able to run virtual machines on it smoothly.Wait - I just described my home rack mount server... What were we talking about again?
The pandora 2 obviously. And it obsolutely has to run Windows SERVER 2001 so we have the best performance/compatability ratio

Brilliant idea. I already have a nas, but it just takes up too much space. Would like to see HD slots for my Samsung Spinpoint F3's in P2 as well. 4 would be amazing, but I think having 2 is already quite nice and 4 would probably make it too bulky.

Four is nowhere near enough SATA ports. We need 12 for a proper NAS controller.It also needs on-RAID dedicated cache of at least 128MB of ECC RAM.To that end we'll also need at least 16GB ECC RAM on the system and a pair of 6 core 64bit CPUs to handle the server OS and be able to run virtual machines on it smoothly.Wait - I just described my home rack mount server... What were we talking about again?
The pandora 2 obviously. And it obsolutely has to run Windows SERVER 2001 so we have the best performance/compatability ratio
No - that's too far. Even if it could run Windows server 2001, we shouldn't talk about it because that would violate the RYF. We need to keep it 100% FOSS so it meets FSF's RYF certification. So it will need to run and ship with a Linux server OS... headless Ubuntu Server (see Debian server). If it is capable of running Windows server 2001, we'll have to restrict communicating that to only nod and wink as any official acknowledgment of that capability or shipping a disk or directory/folder with the drivers on it to allow the end user that choice would be a violation of branded 'Freedom'.

Seriously?

You'd be much better off having 36 SDXC4.0 slots - then we can get several TB of failure-resilient storage whilst retaining the portable form-factor.

Afaik, SDIO support is purely a software feature....?

But you're right: 36 miniSDXC slots would be best :)

My demand is still for a pocket size blade chassis with PPC CPUs on the blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back