Pandora 3d Model

trats20050

Still Fresh
Does anybody know where i can download a Pandora 3d model it can be in any format.I asked this question a couple of months ago but nothing.I need a model with actual specs.I work in a place where i use solidworks to design 3d models and then send them to be manufactured.For what do i need it you guys ask,since i have access to the cnc machines (free of charge) i want to attempt to create a Pandora docking station to put in there all the other good stuff the Pandora is missing like gps,3g modem,accelerometer,a separate battery to run this devices possibly more usb ports.This will all be connected through the usb port.I know this is such an ambitious project but i have access to everything i need to do it i even know a guy that can help me with the electronics part he suggested i use a usb powered hub with a battery.Is it even possible for the Pandora team to release a 3d model? :pandora1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the best way would be to pm EvilDragon directly, only he has the final renders. But I don't know if they are still tweaking some details of the case.

trats20050 said:
Does anybody know where i can download a Pandora 3d model it can be in any format.I asked this question a couple of months ago but nothing.I need a model with actual specs.I work in a place where i use solidworks to design 3d models and then send them to be manufactured.For what do i need it you guys ask,since i have access to the cnc machines (free of charge) i want to attempt to create a Pandora docking station to put in there all the other good stuff the Pandora is missing like gps,3g modem,accelerometer,a separate battery to run this devices possibly more usb ports.This will all be connected through the usb port.I know this is such an ambitious project but i have access to everything i need to do it i even know a guy that can help me with the electronics part he suggested i use a usb powered hub with a battery.Is it even possible for the Pandora team to release a 3d model? :pandora1:
The case design is proprietary afaik. But if you only need the outside specs of the pandora (for a docking station), just get the measurements from someone aroudn here.

This probably doesn't help, but there was a model made a couple of months ago, but IT'S NOT PROPORTIONAL compared to the real Pandora:
CODE

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=45943&view=findpost&p=684575

it was originally stated that cad files will be released after launch
ORIGINALLY
dont have the quote though

I've asked about this as I'm designing a docking station and car mount but I wasn't able to get the dimensions. I sent ED a PM but he never got back to me. I would just like external dims and port locations so I can make the dock. However, something has just come to my mind that maybe due to some bits not fitting in the prototype - these dims are not fixed yet??

Marko said:
I've asked about this as I'm designing a docking station and car mount but I wasn't able to get the dimensions. I sent ED a PM but he never got back to me. I would just like external dims and port locations so I can make the dock. However, something has just come to my mind that maybe due to some bits not fitting in the prototype - these dims are not fixed yet??
The dims are fixed. You could theoretically measure the distances on the parts (they can be seen here: www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47002) by keeping in mind that the whole case is 140 mm long in total, and scaling everything after that.

Also, I heard that Gruso wanted to make a dock aswell, you could ask him for the measurements.

'emcp' said:
ORIGINALLY
I'm quite certain that they said they will never release the files, because that would just lead to knockoffs.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
'emcp' said:
ORIGINALLY
I'm quite certain that they said they will never release the files, because that would just lead to knockoffs.

-God Ginrai

I understand if they don't want to release the files.But they should at least release the bottom measurements.In a 3d model the whole case its called an assembly which is made up of parts they could just release the bottom part so that people like me and other forum members can make professional looking docking stations.Without this information it will look ugly.

Ginrai, Well that's certainly disappointing for a device with "Open" in its name, I'd hope that after it's actually released, they'd publish all the CAD files, and the board schematics.

A different project, making a BeagleBoard based netbook, has already released their schematics under GPLv2, and have stated they'll release the CAD files under the same license once they are finalised.

Surely, the OpenPandora guys would do something similar, I highly doubt anyone would bother creating knockoffs of what we can't deny isn't a mainstream device.

^ The console doesn't actually have "open" in its name. The company is called Open Pandora Ltd, but the console is just called Pandora. Pandora is open as in open platform, not open as in OpenMoko.

That's not to say they'll never release schematics (who knows!), but they have no intention of doing it any time soon. Software wise, Pandora is as open as the Beagleboard is. Both platforms still have one or two closed source drivers (eg. SGX).

@ trats20050: I'm building a docking station of sorts myself, for the car. But it's just made of wood, no fancy tricks or peripheral addons. I've built it based on the overall dimensions that we know, and can't finish it until my own Pandora arrives. You might have to do the same, but you can probably get a lot of the prelimary design done in the meantime.

I'm very interested in what you come up with. I'd totally go for a CNC'd dock over my spice rack.

Gruso i will post a 3d model in the next few days.It is going to about 9mm thick i want to leave to top open to make it thinner.On one of the first pictures released of the case you can see that the outside case has 3 screws i think i can use this to attach the docking station with longer screws actually about 9mm longer.Ill put up a picture later of a model i am working on right now just so you guys could get an idea of what i am doing .

This is a basic design of the Pandora docking station that i am working on all the measurements are made up.Do you guys have any suggestions?

pandoradockingstation2.jpg

pandoradockingstation1.jpg

pandoradockingstation.jpg

Ah that was quick. What does the odd shape allow for? Any chance you could knock up a quick concept of the final overall arrangment including Pandora, with some labels and stuff? Wireframe or even hand sketches would do.

This is just a simple sketch of the Pandora just to see how it looks with a docking station so please don't bash me.

assem4.jpg

oh, thanks!
I was expecting the Pandora to fit inside it, so I was a little confused.

"please don't bash me."

I'll try to be constructive, then:
I think it will be inconvenient to use screws for a docking station. Most use latches, I would expect something like that, though it depends on what the station's supposed to connect to on the Pandora.
If it's just like a stand to hold it in place, you can probably build more like a box and rely on gravity.
If it's supposed to have connectors too, I'm not sure. I don't know where all the ports are on the Pandora.

But screws are pretty slow, I'd only use them if it was going to be in there for a few days at a time.

Ahh I get it now. Still, curious about the shape. What are the design reasons behind that? Does it need to fit in with some other thing we haven't seen?

Ill add all the other stuff later like connector to the usb port.I don't think this can use latches because the Pandora is not designed for that.Ill put up a picture right now with a usb connector.Gruso the pieces missing from the shape are for the stylus and the two in the back are for the back buttons.Ill keep posting more pictures in a few minutes .

Back