Pandora and 3G USB dongles

tuki_cat

Hi all,

I'm based in the UK and I'm just about to move house and my commute to work is going to be longer. I do a lot of work from home and plan to also do some work on the train, I want to use my Pandora for this.

Most of the stuff I will be doing will be e-mails and other stuff that requires the internet.

Is it possible to use anyone of the number of 3G USB dongles that provide internet on the move? I have found bits of info on the forum using the search but nothing definitive.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and If so which dongles will work?

Cheers :)

I know that it is possible, and that some people round here have working 3G dongles in use.

If a particular model of dongle does not work it might* be possible to port a Linux driver for it.

*if there is one.

Thanks fellas.

DaMummy - Do you know if the MiFi requires a driver to get it working within linux on the Pandora? 3s website say it is only windows compatible.

Thanks fellas.

DaMummy - Do you know if the MiFi requires a driver to get it working within linux on the Pandora? 3s website say it is only windows compatible.

I though the mifi was just a wlan access point from the point of view of the client, and should work with nearly anything. Is there any mention of 'download drivers here' or similar?

Thanks fellas.

It's as Binky says - it's just a pocket-sized WiFi router that takes a 3G SIM card. :p

I have no idea why it would say it's only compatible with Microsoft Windows, because, as with any router, you log in via your web-browser to adjust settings. There's no software or drivers to install or anything. (EDIT: Unless the part about Microsoft Windows is referring to some sort of account-monitoring software that's only available for Microsoft Windows. If it's that, it's useless anyway, as you can view your account and usage details by visiting 3's website whilst connected to the internet via the MiFi device.)

I would recommend adjusting things on a desktop or laptop rather the Pandora, though - the interface doesn't play nice with any of the browsers I've tried, for some reason (I'm guessing it's due to the resolution, as it will present you with a freakish super-giant, text-only version if you try to set it up with the Pandora).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm with you both now, looks like just what i'm after.

I think I misunderstood how the Mifi works, but as you both say it a simple portable router.

I pop into a 3 shop other the weekend

tuki_cat,

The community is keeping a record of what 3G and other usb devices we confirm as working on the Pandora here , just in case you need the info.

Back