Pandora As A Phone

good or bad

• Total voters

nerdreaper

Still Fresh
OK here is my idea the Pandora is Small/portable runs Linux and has bluetooth. could someone find a way to use a sim card reader and the proper wireless chips and antennas to create non-provider-specific phone. i was even thinking you could find a way to convert a providers wireless data card. with att wireless cards i know you can send texts as well as use data services so in theory all that would be needed is a driver and some software. some phones run on windows ce/ win 7 portable. and if my small experience with Linux has taught me anything its that anything Windows does Linux can do it and more.

Hi and welcome. :) I've moved the topic to General, as the Dev forum is for more specific development discussion.

There have been many threads about this, this is a good one: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=48327

jb0yx's project has shown the most promise, and although that thread is a bit dusty I think he plans to continue working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd rather have a separate phone because the pandroa seems to be kind of unstable for use as a sole means of communication

On one of the last half dozen or so times this was brought up, I researched some devices. There exists a device for which I've long since lost the bookmark which actually gives you access to the phone mechanism via the USB with open source drivers.
That is to say it would be fairly easy to plug this device into the Pandora and not only get 3G data and texting, but it would actually allow the Pandora to send dial commands to the device and actually talk via the Pandora itself, or with a bluetooth headset.
Whether your idea is good or bad is irrelevant: it would be a fairly easy thing to setup so you can see first hand how good or bad an idea it is.

I'm afraid when given the choice, I will ALWAYS vote for cupcakes.

I agree, it would be killer if the Pandora had phone features. I recently converged my phone + MP3 player + Wiz combo into Phone with MP3 player + Wiz. If I could then go Portable console with Phone & MP3, I think I'd just bow down to the Pandora and make it my god then and there.

Can't understand why anyone would vote against this, it's not like it would be mandatory to use your Pandora as a phone.

Doubt that I would use it much if it were possible but it would be nice to have it as an option.

For me though I'd really like to see Skype on the Pandora.

Mr Loon said:
Can't understand why anyone would vote against this, it's not like it would be mandatory to use your Pandora as a phone.
The extra cost and the extra hit on battery life, and the possibility of losing features to make room for telephony equipment, are some reasons that spring readily to my mind. :p

the thing I see here is not the idea of adding new hardware to the current pandora design (if I missed that, I stand corrected)... it's essentially tossing addons and software around until the pandora is "morphed" into a telephony device of some sort. I have racked my brain on ways this is feasable as well, because I see no reason carrying around a cell phone and spending $50+US (depending on provider) for unlimited everything on a cell phone which I either can't control the content of or can't currently hack to control when there is Linux, WiFi, VOIP and other technologies that could give me the same "unlimited everything feel" for anything from a few bucks cheaper to completely free (if I do my research well enough). Just can't justify a cell phone anymore after knowing what I am capable of with something like the Pandora and some nice Linux goodies. Being on the general topic, I'd hope someone would port twinklephone or ekiga (maybe even sflphone) to the Pandora for some nice VOIP action!

EDIT: Maybe more eyes can help see if the technology exists that I just thought about googling for: SDIO GSM or SDIO 3G cards... an initial search gave nothing, but I have to leave for work soon and wanted to spread the search of this out amongst the community to see if such things exist... if so, it would eliminate the need for any real hardware additions which would just leave driver/software support...

If one really wanted to go down this route, I believe a skype client or similar softphone that can connect to the PSTN would be the only logical choice.

Gruso said:
jb0yx's project has shown the most promise, and although that thread is a bit dusty I think he plans to continue working on it.
Not in the same direction I was initially headed once apon a time with it, but with google voice and sip/voip yes, if and when android gets ported then it will be very easy and almost seamless. Should take like a day or so to get a good guide whipped up.

Untill that time and if the moons align I'll do my best to whip up a simple GUI that talks to google voice backend and stuff it into a pnd, once I finally get my panda... I worked on one for webOS back when I had a palm pre but google kept on changing up their non-public apis and it made it a humongous pain in the ass to talk to correctly. So don't expect any miracles untill they release their apis to the public. SMS and phone calls eventually with some sort of sip/voip client.

anyone willing to pick up my old project for true phone+modem 3g dongle you have my full blessings and condolences. Best of luck to ya. ;)

SomeGuy99 said:
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K-I_MJFlZbs[/media]
HAHAHA thats awesome. I want to do that with a Pandora lol.

IMHO, I think that VOIP is far enough for the Pandora. I don't think using a Pandora as an actual phone is very practical. Just as practical as using a Gameboy Color as a Geiger counter, heart rate monitor, and a graphing calculator. Or packing around a Commodore Amiga computer strapped to your back with a lead-acid battery taped to it while playing games while walking through a busy street. Okay, thats a little much, but you see my point. My cupwarmer/usb-hub combo is a little more practical than a Pandora phone, and I almost burned my hand on it. Besides, how do you even HOLD the Pandora when using it as a phone? You'd look odd... maybe you need a hands-free headset.

Disclaimer: Didn't read replies.

Anyways... WiMax/WiFi + Skype

If you pickup the Pandora closed and hold it to your ear, that's the best you're ever going to get.

If that works for you I'm sure something could be hacked, maybe tripple click the shoulder to answer. No hope of an external screen though.

Nova said:
I agree, it would be killer if the Pandora had phone features. I recently converged my phone + MP3 player + Wiz combo into Phone with MP3 player + Wiz. If I could then go Portable console with Phone & MP3, I think I'd just bow down to the Pandora and make it my god then and there.
Ngage ?

Nation.A.List said:
Longer than some peoples attention span.
I lolled

craigix said:
If you pickup the Pandora closed and hold it to your ear, that's the best you're ever going to get.

If that works for you I'm sure something could be hacked, maybe tripple click the shoulder to answer. No hope of an external screen though.

You don't like "good" idea that is too close to buissness angel ideas, don't you :)

I think it makes more sense to tether a Phone to the Pandora to provide mobile networking. This way it's batteries are preserved longer.

It would be kinda nice if Skype would be ported over, but it doesn't seem likely that they will (we can't, since Skype is closed source).

^ There was some talk about Skype being open enough now, IIRC. I'm not interested in this phone stuff so I can't provide a link, but it's out there somewhere.

Back