Pandora as a Web Server ? Anyone ever tried it ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just wondering if anyone here on the boards has ever tried to turn their Pandora into a web server? I don't expect fantastic results here in terms of performance, but I can think of a few use cases where this may be a good function to have. 

So...

- has anyone done it ?

- what did you run it with ? 

- what was your experience with it ? 

I've done it, and I'm sure I'm not alone; heck, just an apt-get install apache away in Debian, and similar in Arch and so forth..

Reclal that Pandora's are more powerful than our servers and desktops were not all that long ago; I was using python's built in webserver (hey, liek 3 lines of code) and have used Apache (there are much more lightweight webservers as well), mostly on cached/RAM based files (ie: not skipping all over the place, since I use pretty slow but large SD cards.)

It works pretty well.

Hell, theres people running webservers on 8 and 16 bit computers. (Hell, I've run a webserver on my Atari hardware :)

So.. yeah, you're not winning any speed awards nor running heavy CGIs or the like, but you can certainly serve out pages to a number of concurrent connections no problem.

(My webserving was a game server, fwiw)

Give it a shot.. you're using Deb or Linux Swats distro there, right? Easy pleasy :)

jeff

Thanks Skeezix :) I knew about the built-in python webserver. I have not tried it, will check it out and see how it performs :)

I haven't tried it on LinuxSWAT's distro yet but that will be my next next step :)

I use it mainly as a download server, anyway many programs I use have a web interface, like Transmission or HTTrack (that I should release soon), and it works really well when I use those programs through the browser of my pc, I just had to set a cap to the upload band.

Back