Pandora as game controller on PC?

Burbruee

Website
Visit site
This is just a quick random question, but I'm going to be live-streaming some retro games tomorrow night to some of my friends from my PC.

Unfortunately, the lack of a good d-pad will likely mean I won't be great at platforming since all I've got is an xbox 360 controller (well also a wii one, but my bluetooth adapter is not reliable at all)

And I remember back in the PSP days you could use your psp as a wireless gamepad on your PC with some homebrew + ppjoy.

I was wondering if such a thing exists for the pandora, I couldn't find anything on the subject so I'm guessing no. Still, doesn't hurt to ask. pandora dpad would be great to play with. 

This has come up a few times before. While theoretically possible, I don't think anyone got past the experimental stage.

Hey that is no theory more.

I used that very Fine on Pandora over Wlan.

Short what to do:

Install Android on your Pandora..

...then install splashtop on Windows and the running Pandora Android.
There is a Bug in Pandora Android because it show ever low connection,but dont mind that.

..Connect them over Wlan and Viola,the Pandora can now used to controll your PC in Realtime.
Only the Pictures come a half sec later to your Pandora,but on PC its Realtime :)

Happy trying,and i promise that it work.
I will that Configure with my LivingRoomPC and can play Emus what i want,can controll Windows for working and are free where i have good Wlan Connections.

:)

The most people forgot that is one Solution to use the Pandora as PC Controller :D

Btw: It work so good that i played over this Playstation2 on the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that is no theory more. I used that very Fine on Pandora over Wlan. Short what to do: Install Android on your Pandora.. ...then install splashtop on Windows and the running Pandora Android. There is a Bug in Pandora Android because it show ever low connection,but dont mind that. ..Connect them over Wlan and Viola,the Pandora can now used to controll your PC in Realtime. Only the Pictures come a half sec later to your Pandora,but on PC its Realtime :) Happy trying,and i promise that it work. I will that Configure with my LivingRoomPC and can play Emus what i want,can controll Windows for working and are free where i have good Wlan Connections. :) The most people forgot that is one Solution to use the Pandora as PC Controller :D Btw: It work so good that i played over this Playstation2 on the Pandora.
Hey thanks, totally forgot about Android, I'll give it a try. Already bought splashtop remote way back. ;)

This has come up a few times before. While theoretically possible, I don't think anyone got past the experimental stage.
Would be interesting to keep a look out for this project by a friend of mine: https://github.com/MerlijnWajer/uinput-mapper

The idea is that you can arbitrarily re-assign input-devices .. and eventually stream them over the network.

(only for *NIX systems though)
Will there also be an implemenatation of Bluetooth and USB ?

Or is it no real HID support?

Will there also be an implemenatation of Bluetooth and USB ?

Or is it no real HID support?
Looking at this

uinput-mapper is a program that can clone and remap (in clones) input devices to other (newly created) input devices (locally or over the network).
and this

Initially we wrote this program to create two virtual joysticks from a single keyboard, which was really just two real arcade joysticks exposed over a keyboard. To be able to use these joysticks separately and to have SDL recognise them, I wrote a program with uinput to create two joystick devices. The program quickly evolved into uinput-mapper, a generalisation of the concept.
from their page, I'd say this isn't a general approach (as Bluetooth or USB) on things as you obviously need a network connection either direct or indirect to, and a client software on, the device you want to control.

It is fairly possible to code this thing in C language

A low end C programm for your hardware...

Let me thing, ok, you can allow the C programm to see the joystick moves, ...ok fine, ... 

then you need to make it translated and redirected to the USB ...

It is possible, the usb redirection migth be trickier

An utility that makes pandora work as usb and bluetooth gamepad and keyboard (so four modes total) would get my maximum votes in the next compo :p

^

Mine, too.

Pandora has to be used as HID mouse and Keyboard at once, so that you can control anything like you control your Pandora.

Maybe use Bluetooth to make pc/phone/tablet see the Pandora as a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? I like that idea

I have been working on this here. I have it working as a controller, but am rewriting the code to make it emulate a usb hub and have it read plugins for each device to be attached. Allowing for any combination of usb devices to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the thing I miss most on the Pandora - so I would not mind if you would make a prerelease of what you already have. Either way - thanks for looking into it

An utility that makes pandora work as usb and bluetooth gamepad and keyboard (so four modes total) would get my maximum votes in the next compo :p
This would be a great addition to the capabilities of the Pandora.

A simple keyboard toggle to swap the mode between normal operation & external controller would be awesome.

Back