Pandora Pandora Backlit Keypad

qonmp

Still Fresh
A while ago on the pandora thread thats 200+ pages someone suggested backlit keys and then decided against them because they would probably cost a bit more to use an led for this purpose. However if the keys were just ordered with glow in the dark lettering, there might not be a large price increase.
just an idea
(not only are backlit keys easyer to read they multiply anything's coolness factor by 1337)

Well since its not a board related peice of hardware, its not like they need to change its mount or anything just get different keys from the manufacturer. It was just a suggestion. As for GitD paint, NO WAY, i'ma use incandescent bulbs!!!!

Glow in the dark lettering would require that the keys be exposed to light to "charge" them. I don't see it as ever working on a clamshell device that fits in your pocket. The other option for glow in the dark would be tritium which would be too expensive or even impossible.

If you the device in the dark, then wouldn't the backlight of the LCD will light up the keys just enough for you to see them?

Typically not, unless the screen is less than a right angle from the keyboard which makes it slanted away from your vision, or you are wearing a reflective shirt which judging by my somewhat buoyant sense of fashion is more than five years from becoming a reality.

donny662 said:
Glow in the dark lettering would require that the keys be exposed to light to "charge" them. I don't see it as ever working on a clamshell device that fits in your pocket. The other option for glow in the dark would be tritium which would be too expensive or even impossible.
Wow, talk about an elitist attitude. The Pandora is a device for the community, by the community!
Anyway, I'm off to open a poll on the main forum to help us decide whether or not we want Tritium in our precious Pandora.
Actually, the more I think about it, the better it seems! I mean, what CONVEYS the image of Pandora's Box:
pandora.jpg

Better than:
keyboard-on-no-light.jpg

Screw the forum, I'm feeling inspired
*Heads off to nearest nuclear reactor to mine tritium...*

*...and dies from radiation poisoning*

Last edited by a moderator:
The best (IMO) will be make keys from translucent material and solder backlit LEDs under it. MWetson mentioned solder pads that design just for this reason but it is leave rather for homebrew modification only.
So, if translucent material doesn't take coast up, then make keys translucent please. Otherwise it can be manufactured later if there will be demand from homebrew modders and sold separately as addon. I'd like solution similiar to fusion_power's, even home made.

Squidge said:
If you the device in the dark, then wouldn't the backlight of the LCD will light up the keys just enough for you to see them?
Well, that neither works with my eeePC nor with my mobile phone :)
I can't type unless I illuminate the keys on my mobile phone.

But it could work if the button label color is very reflective :)

Last edited:
Squidge said:

Maybe, but my eyes are usually glared by LCD so much, than I can't see keys symbols. Or I can angled LCD to lit more on keys than to my eyes, but then it is harder to read.

I can live without key backlit, but I definitely want it, even if I must made it myself.

the problem wih glow in the dark keys are... You can't turn them off
the thing with backlit keyboards would be that you could turn them of when you are watching a movie or something so those anoying little lights don't atract to much attention.
Glow in the dark keys would just be sitting there... in the corner of your eye.... screaming for attention... beeing anoying... untill it get's to much grrrrr... and then you must kill KILL KILLLLLLLL!!! :x (effects might differ for you, warranty void if people die)

Nice idea! but seems too late for that. [ retractable usb led hack, anyone? }
I suppose I'll be using an on-screen keyboard or handwriting recognition in the dark... It was ok on my n30's small LCD, it'll be ok on the Pandora...

Another alternative would be a bright LED at the top of the screen, pointing at the keyboard. But I wonder how that will work when you're operating the analog controls or the dpad..
But yes, I too greatly want the keyboard to be lit..

King_Qonmp said:
A while ago on the pandora thread thats 200+ pages someone suggested backlit keys and then decided against them because they would probably cost a bit more to use an led for this purpose. However if the keys were just ordered with glow in the dark lettering, there might not be a large price increase.
just an idea
(not only are backlit keys easyer to read they multiply anything's coolness factor by 1337)
In Egypt Pyramids, Hyroglyphs were found that say the Keyboard Backlight for the Pandora Console is an old Idea. ;)
It was suggested a long time before and yes, many people liked it but yes, the price would be to big ( but I still think a backlight Keyboard would fit into a €250 Device without additional costs, Mobile Phones made these Technique cheap)
peca said:
I'd like solution similiar to fusion_power's, even home made.

Hey, I like this to! :D

EvilDragon said:
But it could work if the button label color is very reflective :)
I hope the Color will be durable to! My Acid Sweat onto my Fingers is classified as a Biohazzard Weapon! :D
If you use Paint, then the labeling should be as a negative relief into the Key-surface to and in this area, the Colour would be save instead of printing onto a completely flat surface.

Back