Pandora Bluetooth Networking

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Has anyone managed to use Bluetooth to do internet network connections?

I can set up the Mac OS X side (and I have a dedicated BT router, a Bluetake BT-300) but I don't know exactly what to setup on the Pandora.

I mean I could probably look into it, but if anyone else has done this, a guide of what needs to be done would be great.

Thanks!

No one is interested in using BT for networking?

It's so much more efficient in terms of power savings on the battery. WiFi seems to gobble that battery up!

I've found that hcitool, hciconfig and pand seem to be the utilities to use to get the job done but I still need to do some more investigating.

I don't have a Pandora yet but I have setup BT networking host in Ubuntu with a few clicks using blueman. I also use blueman to setup my headphones, after I spent over 6 hours trying to get them working in 8.10, I installed an svn blueman build and everything just worked. Since 9.04 blueman 'just works' on my laptop, but I have not yet tried to connect to a network with that (assuming if you can host you can connect?).

As far as speed, I thought BT was 4mbit compared to 802.11g 54mbit, or am I getting my MBit,Mbit,mbit mixed up?

I have tried to get BT working on my Pandora, but my BT adapter is USB 1.1 only, I suppose .. its not recognized by the Pandora when I plug it in directly. Wish the Pandora had BT built-in, thats for sure ..

@torpor - Do pardon me if my sarcasm-detector is on the fritz, but are you joking? :blink:

torpor said:
I have tried to get BT working on my Pandora, but my BT adapter is USB 1.1 only, I suppose .. its not recognized by the Pandora when I plug it in directly. Wish the Pandora had BT built-in, thats for sure ..

ahahahaha xD
oh lord, my stomach :')

ontopic: I paired my cell with the pandora, but trying to connect to internet using network manager seems to fail.
any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
GizmoTheGreen said:
torpor said:

ahahahaha xD

ontopic: I paired my cell with the pandora, but trying to connect to internet using network manager seems to fail.
any ideas?

GizmoTheGreen - How did you activate bluetooth? If I go to settings - bluetooth, it says "No adapters present"

Thanks tds48

EDIT Figured it out --- System toggle bluetooth on!

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
torpor said:

ahahahaha xD

any ideas?

GizmoTheGreen - How did you activate bluetooth? If I go to settings - bluetooth, it says "No adapters present"

Thanks tds48

Toogle Bluetooth in the same menu as toggle Wifi, if I remember correctly.

I'm keen to get BT networking working too. PokeParadox and myself tried Blueman bluetooth manager but had no success with the installation.

ste_167 said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
torpor said:

ahahahaha xD

any ideas?

Thanks tds48

I'm keen to get BT networking working too. PokeParadox and myself tried Blueman bluetooth manager but had no success with the installation.

Thanks! Just figured it out but appreciate you taking the time to respond!!!

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
ste_167 said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
torpor said:

ahahahaha xD

any ideas?

Thanks tds48

Thanks! Just figured it out but appreciate you taking the time to respond!!!

hehe the more people on board, the better!

Got it working, tethering to my iPhone .. it seems a bit dodgy, though. I could only get the pairing dialog (to enter the numbers) up after I fiddled with both devices a bit .. seems there is a BT handshake step that has to be started on both devices approximately coherent with each other, but I dunno more than that .. surfing from my Pandora over my iPhone 3G connection now, and it works quite well I must say ..

torpor said:
Got it working, tethering to my iPhone .. it seems a bit dodgy, though. I could only get the pairing dialog (to enter the numbers) up after I fiddled with both devices a bit .. seems there is a BT handshake step that has to be started on both devices approximately coherent with each other, but I dunno more than that .. surfing from my Pandora over my iPhone 3G connection now, and it works quite well I must say ..

did you need anything else?
i tried doing it with my sony ericsson C901 with no success..

(I pair them, then choose the BT mac from network manager, BT connects to my phone then disconnects again immediately)

So, did anyone manage to tether via the iphone? I heard about problems on the german board. I mean, I don't like apple that much, but did get an iphone from my boss and thought .oO(great, now I can use my phone to connect my pandora with the internet). I would be a bit disappointed if that doesn't work even if the phone cause the problem. It works well with my laptop under windows, didn't had the chance to test it under linux yet.

ricki said:
So, did anyone manage to tether via the iphone? I heard about problems on the german board. I mean, I don't like apple that much, but did get an iphone from my boss and thought .oO(great, now I can use my phone to connect my pandora with the internet). I would be a bit disappointed if that doesn't work even if the phone cause the problem. It works well with my laptop under windows, didn't had the chance to test it under linux yet.
Um, look two posts up (from yours).

jasay said:
ricki said:
Um, look two posts up (from yours).
Erm, oops, sorry, how inattentive. Thanks *g* Posting it to the german board right away :)

Back