Pandora Box

jocejrod

just wondering is OPT is still planning on selling a pandora without a screen. i would be very interested in buying one, especially if some sort of seamless experience could be made between the two pandoras. one connected to the tv(w/o screen) with the other one controlling it(w/screen).

some nice additions would be:
gps
hdmi
more usb ports.

i imagine it more as a companion device. where the original pandora is a small laptop, and this pandora box would be a small tower, albeit, more portable

yeah! i was also thinking that the box could do some multitasking and then just bring the other pandora up to speed on what it was doing

why would you want gps on a device designed to be stationary?

purely speculation on my part but I'd imagine they will be busy with the current version of the pandora and won't get around to doing the Pandora Box for some time and then only if there is enough interest in it. Does anyone remember what price point they were gonna shoot for with the Pandora Box concept?

MonkeyChops said:
why would you want gps on a device designed to be stationary?

purely speculation on my part but I'd imagine they will be busy with the current version of the pandora and won't get around to doing the Pandora Box for some time and then only if there is enough interest in it. Does anyone remember what price point they were gonna shoot for with the Pandora Box concept?
i never said it would be stationary. there would be stationary applications for it, sure, but it's life, or at least how i imagine it, would be living with the pandora, going where it goes, with the always on mentality of the current pandora. with bluetooth, it could relay the gps information to it's screened brother

edit: i don't know the price-point, which is another reason i made this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
joce said:

It needs to be designed before it can be priced.

Kicker said:
joce said:

community boards, community effort :D
what would you like to see in it?

joce said:
Kicker said:
joce said:

community boards, community effort :D
what would you like to see in it?

Seeing as this is a home box, I don't think size is so much an issue. Perhaps it could come with lots more processing power, an ARM and an X86 (is that possible?!) processor... Wait, supposing we could have ARM and X86 in the same box, wouldn't we need a very specialized OS? I think that could be awesome. This way, it could (somehow!) run programs made for either processor. So Pandora stuff will run, we can have WINE without Qemu, or maybe we could get both processors to run together simultaneously or have one do X while the other runs Y. Again, I haven't a clue how to go about doing this, but it does sound awesome. It would also be cool if the Pandora could operate as the PSP does to the PS3, i.e. as a little output for info in some games... Maybe this box could be used for awesome augmented reality games? Like, you're a spy sneaking around your living room, and your Pandora will feed you info about your mission. Maybe it could even self-destruct! OK... maybe not. Nonetheless, that sounds pretty cool, Kicker, I think we had a discussion about the Pandora Cube already, would somebody care to dig that up?
But I do like the idea.

I already have one it's a Beagleboard in a plastic small case. Also the BeagleBoard-xM coming out soon with more features built in..

joce said:
i never said it would be stationary. there would be stationary applications for it, sure, but it's life, or at least how i imagine it, would be living with the pandora, going where it goes, with the always on mentality of the current pandora. with bluetooth, it could relay the gps information to it's screened brother

What's the point? There aren't enough pandoras in the wild yet to even make a 32x type leeching attachment worthwhile. GPS can be done easily via usb, so why buy a whole nother console just for sending gps to your pandora.. why not just buy a gps for real?

If you ask me, the perfect companion for the pandora would be a portable battery powered network harddrive that can be accessed via bluetooth or usb. Does such a thing even exist?

so many negative responses :(

@jourdy288 you are so on my level
@trashyMG i would want all the same ports that the pandora has, more specifically, the dual sdhc
@mofokubik couldn't what you suggest also have gps?

edit: i found the pandora press blog post with link to the thread of original convo
pandora cube

joce said:

Not all disagreement is negative. Not all negativity is bad.

Yep, Pandora Cube was talked about a few month ago as a home console.
I would love to get a pandora cube with DVI out, Ethernet 10/100 and a sata or ide interface if it's possible.
The rest can stay as it is, or maybe add a few USB connectors……

And custom openpandora joypads would be great!

joce said:

@Jourdy288 you are so on my level
@TrashyMG i would want all the same ports that the pandora has, more specifically, the dual sdhc
@Mofokubik couldn't what you suggest also have gps?

edit: i found the pandora press blog post with link to the thread of original convo
pandora cube

There is an expansion board for the beagleboad that adds another SD card and built on Ethernet. It stacks over the original board.

TrashyMG said:
joce said:

@TrashyMG i would want all the same ports that the pandora has, more specifically, the dual sdhc

pandora cube

There is an expansion board for the beagleboad that adds another SD card and built on Ethernet. It stacks over the original board.
i don't know how to build anything like that, or that would be awesome

kingoddball said:
Why not use a Pandora with the screen folded closed....
well the point(for me) would be to have access to the cube from the regular pandora. of course it's not necessary, but hell, neither is the original pandora for that matter. it would just be more fun

joce said:
TrashyMG said:
joce said:

pandora cube

i don't know how to build anything like that, or that would be awesome

The beagle board itself requires no assembly.. you simply just plug it in.. it doesn't have a case though... the expansion board does require you to solder a 2x14 pin header to the beagleboard's expansion connector.. then it just clicks together.

Zippy2-expansion_connector1.jpg

Zippy2-expansion_connector4.jpg

I've been a long-time supporter of the cube idea. The actual guts of the system could stay the same as Pandora, although HDMI and a few more USB ports would be ace. I keep imagining a retro gaming/media centre, with a really slick OS, reminiscent of my old modded xbox, with XBMC loaded up. :)

But obviously, open source, and SD cards instead of a hard drive and FTP!

Back