Pandora button insta-kill?

What are your thoughts on the Pandora button insta-kill in MiniMenu?

• It's perfect as it is.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It should be less easy to accidentally kill the running app.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I would rather it do nothing (let the app decide what to do with it).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
I haven't seen a ton of discussion about this in my time here (though I do recall it being mentioned before, when talking about standardized controls): the MiniMenu function of the Pandora button.

I'm not a fan of it, mostly because the Pandora button feels exactly like the Select button right above it, so it's very easy to accidentally press it.

So, genuine question: what function could the Pandora button be changed to somewhat easily? The easiest I can think of is to change it from a press to a hold (and that would be a vast improvement), but how plausible would it be for the Pandora button to open up some kind of menu, kind of like what consoles like the 3DS do?

And, of course, a poll. Just out of curiosity.

Voted it is fine.. I need to forcefully kill things from time to time.

I think it sounds too easy to accidently hit the Pandora button and lose all your progress. I agree that the push-and-hold option sounds easy to implement, but a menu might be nice. From what I understand (as I don't currently have a Pandora) is that you currently can't run multiple applications at once from MiniMenu. A Pandora-button menu could allow you to do that easily, and keep an eye on things like the battery level and the time. But, of course, somebody has to make all that. Plus, the menu might have some overhead, but I'm sure it wouldn't be enough to cause problems.

minimenu dev just had twins....thats really all that needs to be said

How about Pandora button being the equivalent of the close button on a desktop (i.e. quit, but on the program's own terms)

shift-pandora button would be KILL

Last edited by a moderator:
With the absence of multitasking and to prevent accidental loss of progress in whatever app or game, its probably best that a confirmation dialog is offered when the Pandora button is hit, so as to choose to kill the app or not and nothing more. Still possibly a lot of work but it would seem the simplest option to satisfy concerns over losing productivity. How simple I've no idea, as a non coder, so its perhaps already asking a lot.

It is already staggering the leaps minimenu has taken whilst his time is surely non-existent though (as a father of twins + 3 I know), so If in time when Skeezix' family life has settled somewhat and some of his other plans for minimenu have had a chance to be created/tried out, maybe then, a fuller menu or a multitasking environment will be possible.

edit: Although at what point is 'mini'menu stepping outside its original aims, as he penned himself 'inside the box'?

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote it should be less easy. I accidentally close on app once. That's why i mostly use the full desktop though sometimes there, I want to kill a non responsive app and I forget the button only works for that in minimenu.

Back