Pandora can handle N64 emulation

CronoTriggerfan

Website
pixelstopolygons.com
ZodTTD said:
And yes, I do believe Pandora can handle N64 emulation. Which is me saying a lot, as I believe N64 is NOT worth trying on the iPhone and The Wiz.
This handheld is a beast!

The great Zod has spoken! :D Does this mean he's coding one himself? Beats me, but the fact that a major dev is saying that it can absolutely be done is very encouraging for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZodTTD said:
And yes, I do believe Pandora can handle N64 emulation. Which is me saying a lot, as I believe N64 is NOT worth trying on the iPhone and The Wiz.

Zelda OoT on the Pandora? :eek: :D

I think I need a new pair of pants. :blink:

EDIT: Where did you get that quote from Zod?

All he said was that the Pandora can handle N64 emulation. He never said he would make one himself.

whiskthecat said:
Can you link to where this was said?
Here you go my friend B)
It's in the comments section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9AuLShJ-nU

I would like to remind people that there is a difference between something being possible, and something actually happening.

Wave Race might be my favorite emulated title ever, but I've all but written off an N64 emu in the 'launch window', and am pretty skeptical of ever seeing one.

Someone please prove me wrong. ;)

CronoTriggerfan said:
ZodTTD said:

The great Zod has spoken! :D Does this mean he's coding one himself? Beats me, but the fact that a major dev is saying that it can absolutely be done is very encouraging for the future.

Zod had already signed up to do it, and then decided not to. This is NOT news, and he didn't even imply he'd retake the task. <_<

Tons of people said that it has been possible, that does not mean they are doing it. He also said he was not on the project a few weeks back.

Yeah, this is an old story I'm afraid.

Zod was going to look into doing it, but at this point it's not planned anymore.

However, I do believe it will happen eventually. Someone at some point will take up the gauntlet, it's inevitable.

(shhh, don't tell Zodttd I said so, but... I think the bug will get him before too long. He loves the Pandora and this will be a big challenge calling to him. Now if we all project the same thought we might just be lucky...)

Ryzure said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
ZodTTD said:

Zod had already signed up to do it, and then decided not to. This is NOT news, and he didn't even imply he'd retake the task. <_<
Like I've said the past 3 topics I've posted in that were about zod "quitting." I won't believe Zod is giving up on the emu until you can show me a quote saying that he is not going to work on the emu (one from Zod himself, not someone speculating) and can show me where this quote is. Otherwise, I'll take it that Zod will be working on the emu later, because he's busy with the iphone stuff atm.

-God Ginrai

grin i second that it be cool to have portable n64, and Zodttd is one heck of a porter/programmer but come on guys cut him some slack .. i think ive counted 5 pandora related projects hes got his hands in atm and theres a bunch more on his web site .. and im sure theres others we dont even know about :>

hes probably thinking "WTF.. did i say that " atm lol as has been said a milion times over someone will try sooner or later and its better to focus on what folks know will work for launch for the communitys health then branch out :> not to mention peoples sanity .. atm there seams to only be a few hardcore porting people and a few folks hammering away on apps .. dont want em to burn out before the handheld even ships :>

regaurdless all the progress recently has been truly amazeing

... Craig said it was possible in one of the facebook groups...and he's the pandora's daddy

CronoTriggerfan said:
The great Zod has spoken! :D
All hail the big giant head! ( 3rd Rock from the Sun ;) ).

The topic title is a bit misleading. I was expecting to see somebody demonstrating a early alpha or whatever build.

The fact that Zod is putting this claim out, is a good thing. To be honest, has any developer with the M0 boards tapping in all the rest of the system? From what i can tell, most emulators where there is any info from, are running solely in software mode on the CPU, and they are not touching the DSP, GPU, Neon Instruction etc. Now comes the question, how much raw power has the Pandora, when you start including those :)

God Ginrai said:
Like I've said the past 3 topics I've posted in that were about zod "quitting." I won't believe Zod is giving up on the emu until you can show me a quote saying that he is not going to work on the emu (one from Zod himself, not someone speculating) and can show me where this quote is. Otherwise, I'll take it that Zod will be working on the emu later, because he's busy with the iphone stuff atm.-God Ginrai

It is amazing that because Zod once said he "will look into" an N64 emulator for Pandora everyone interpreted that as a promise to deliver. He never once even said "I will do it" or "I've started on it."

naples39 said:
It is amazing that because Zod once said he "will look into" an N64 emulator for Pandora everyone interpreted that as a promise to deliver. He never once even said "I will do it" or "I've started on it."
Correct. It was always just a "look into it."

Besides, it would be kinda boring if we had everything already done at launch. ;)

Benjiro said:
The topic title is a bit misleading. I was expecting to see somebody demonstrating a early alpha or whatever build.
Agree. Renamed.

AND it's old news.

Squidge said:
AND it's old news.

Indeed. My unbridled enthusiasm seems to have been, ahem, premature. :D

However, I'm still excited to hear someone with their hands on a dev board even say it's possible. I'd seen some posts on the forum that indicated it wouldn't be. Although in retrospect, if it can conceivably handle PSX, there's no reason the hardware couldn't handle N64 emulation.

Oh well. I'm sure someone will get around to porting one of the existing N64 emus at some point -- I'm expecting my Pandora to have a useful life of at least 3-5 years.

Squidge said:
Benjiro said:
Agree. Renamed.

AND it's old news.

No it's not.

Guys, take off your rose-tinted, selective-vision glasses and read what I wrote. I've been here for a fair amount of time, and I know just as well as anyone that Zod has not "officially" signed on to work on any N64 emulator since he decided to cancel his original one. This is news because up until now, there was still a looming skepticism that Pandora couldn't have a stable N64 emulator, and now someone of considerable emulator coding talent has spoken otherwise. Quit putting words in my (or anyone else's) mouth. -_-

Back