Release Pandora Clock - Release

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Now in the repo !

http://repo.openpand...andoraclock-app

Screenshot from 2012-07-21 20:48:12.png

Screenshot from 2012-07-20 22:41:01.png

Screenshot from 2012-07-20 22:40:35.png

After installation it should appear in Accessories in the menu.

Features:

- Simulates old LCD-style alarm clock for time display

- Can display AM/PM time

- Enable color change of display / Red / Green / Blue / WHite

- Displays the day / month / date / day of the week

- Get weather at your location for today / tomorrow -

- Gets current temperature and tomorrow's temperature range

- Alarm clock with ringing sound

- Can add up to 3 different cities/countries to check the time difference (needs internet connection)

- Detects internet connection and updates weather information on regular basis (needs internet connection for weather info)

- Correction of time zone for US / Australia / China / Russia (several time zones in same country)

- Display city in other geographies

- Sleep mode diming the screen after a while

- Catching internet errors in data request

- Automatically saves any change in settings

- Automatically loads your latest settings at start

- Fullscreen mode possible.

How to use:

- Please refer to help bar at the bottom for shortcuts !

Appreciate if you have feedback / bug reports!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll download and test in a bit. - I have to go set up a craft stand first.

Does this clock do anything to automatically 'correct' the Pandora's built in clock which goes continually out of sync?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I'll download and test in a bit. - I have to go set up a craft stand first.

Does this clock do anything to automatically 'correct' the Pandora's built in clock which goes continually out of sync?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Nope, this clock follows the Pandora internal clock.

How bad is the "out of sync" issue with the built-in clock ?

There's one thing I could do if this is really an issue, is to synchronize with internet time to avoid deviation and get a reliable time, but that would require internet connection. That could be an option.

It would be awesome if that were a selectable option... To update time everytime an internet connection is detected... Or even a button to 'sync' time when the user feels so inclined.

Anyways, back from the market so downloading now.

Edit: I like that all shortcuts are readily available within the app as opposed to opening a menu or separate text file.

It did manage to update weather for my location the first time, however it's hung on me three times in a row - forcing me to use the Pandora button to kill the app... Yes, I am running Firefox at the same time on a 256mb Pandora. I do have swap enabled and I'm on Super Zaxxon Final. I will test again later without Firefox running.

The other strange thing - I had to correct my time manually as it was out by three hours, but when I added three other cities from my country, they were all one hour behind the actual time.

Is this because daylight saving is automatically applied? Can this be disabled because we don't have daylight saving in this country.

Otherwise, very nice clock. Some more color options would be nice - my Pandora has a mostly turquoise color scheme and it would to match the hue / saturation.

Sent from my Pandora :3

It would be awesome if that were a selectable option... To update time everytime an internet connection is detected... Or even a button to 'sync' time when the user feels so inclined.

Anyways, back from the market so downloading now.

OK, let me know what you think of the app - by the way for a number of functions you need to have internet enabled (like for weather function).

For the internet time synchro, I will look into that. Should be easy to implement.

Wow, that one is neat :D

Gonna try this out, thanks :)

Are the LCDs graphics? Maybe we could add some glow to make them look like a real LCD clock :D

It did manage to update weather for my location the first time, however it's hung on me three times in a row - forcing me to use the Pandora button to kill the app... Yes, I am running Firefox at the same time on a 256mb Pandora. I do have swap enabled and I'm on Super Zaxxon Final. I will test again later without Firefox running.

Can you let me know if it works without firefox running ? I tried on my Pandora and getting weather for a number of different locations always worked for me.

Were you downloading something at the same time?

The other strange thing - I had to correct my time manually as it was out by three hours, but when I added three other cities from my country, they were all one hour behind the actual time. Is this because daylight saving is automatically applied? Can this be disabled because we don't have daylight saving in this country.

Which country are you in ?

I'll check for the daylight saving. I know there's a setting in the lib i'm using regarding this but I havent checked too long yet. I'll look into it!

Otherwise, very nice clock. Some more color options would be nice - my Pandora has a mostly turquoise color scheme and it would to match the hue / saturation.

Can you send me a screenshot of the color you want exactly ? The reason why I chose the 4 basic colors was because they are bright enough to be seen on a black background, but I can add a few other ones as long as they are bright enough :)

Wow, that one is neat :D

Gonna try this out, thanks :)

Are the LCDs graphics? Maybe we could add some glow to make them look like a real LCD clock :D

Thanks ! Did you get a chance to try it ?

The LCS are not graphic nor font, they are polygon based :) Adding some glow should be possible, I need to check how to do that... :)

This would be awesome with a nixie tubes theme :)

You mean like this ?

clock4.jpg

Fantastic work Ekianjo, I noticed it takes zip codes and city names.. very cool.

Hmm now I want to get a Nixie Tube clock kit...

Thanks Binky :)

I'll think about it, but this means a major rewrite of the display part :)

Yep, I tried it, really neat :D

It's awesome how fast it actually grabs the weather data once you entered your location.

If the graphics engine would support a background + PNGs for LCD support, then everyone could skin it to look awesome :D

Thanks Binky :)

I'll think about it, but this means a major rewrite of the display part :)

Yep, I tried it, really neat :D

It's awesome how fast it actually grabs the weather data once you entered your location.

If the graphics engine would support a background + PNGs for LCD support, then everyone could skin it to look awesome :D

Api requests are usually fast :) It grabs a small xml file so usually it's a matter of a few ms to get the weather data, and the program analyses the xml pretty fast.

Skinning should be easily possible. I am using a cairo drawing area so PNG are already supported for anything displayed on screen (the icons for weather are in png) and a background could be added as well.

I will keep this as a potential "upcoming feature". Now, unless there are major bugs remaining with the current release, I am moving to another project, a picture viewer (with the same philosophy of being easy to use and minimizing stuff on screen).

Bye, Magic Sam

Thanks for this great application !

Hi :)

@ Binky: must be a bug in Midori, didn't happen before...

It appeared when I received my upgraded Pandora, maybe there's a link ?

Sorry if it makes my post from the Pandora hard to read :(

EDIT: modified post on Pandora with Lightweight2 web browser, must definitely be a bug in midori...

Bye, Magic Sam

I have only a suggestion, make the numbers larger when in fullscreen

I like this :)

Hi. Sorry for the late reply...

I've been stuck in a house with no electricity for two weeks.

Also, no technology at my disposal except for my phone and Pandora...

Tested again without Firefox running... Works perfectly.

Tested one last time with Firefox open again, when I try to fetch weather, it hangs on this screen:

screen120730-100526.png

No not downloading anything while testing.

As for the color I would like to see, I think this would be perfect: :) !

example.png

As for the country I live in, it's South Africa. :)

Back